New System Recomendations - 1.75k spending limit

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I am looking to build another system with about $1750.00. Now i dont need a new system till august (actually dont really NEED a new system i dont think, but i want one haha cause i am bored) Anyway, here is what i have now:

P4- 3.2GHz w/HT
2GB crucial DDR memory
Gigabyte MB (dont have the exact model handy right now but it isnt running on dual channel)
x800 XT all in wonder (agp)
audigy 2 zs gamer

first question: ya think i can get $1000 bucks for my current system?

2nd question: So what would you recomend a few months from now (i guess you would have to estimate the cost of new products such as the AM2) that would give me the best gaming performance. Pretty much i only use the system for gaming, school, music and movies.

Thanks

p.s. I dont really overclock either other then once in a while just mess with very basic settings in the bios, so overclockability isnt too much of a concern.

"skydiving is like knocking on deaths door and running away, it really pisses him off"

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I am looking to build another system with about $1750.00. Now i dont need a new system till august (actually dont really NEED a new system i dont think, but i want one haha cause i am bored) Anyway, here is what i have now:

P4- 3.2GHz w/HT
2GB crucial DDR memory
Gigabyte MB (dont have the exact model handy right now but it isnt running on dual channel)
x800 XT all in wonder (agp)
audigy 2 zs gamer

first question: ya think i can get $1000 bucks for my current system?

2nd question: So what would you recomend a few months from now (i guess you would have to estimate the cost of new products such as the AM2) that would give me the best gaming performance. Pretty much i only use the system for gaming, school, music and movies.

Thanks

p.s. I dont really overclock either other then once in a while just mess with very basic settings in the bios, so overclockability isnt too much of a concern.

"skydiving is like knocking on deaths door and running away, it really pisses him off"

1) No, you wont get $1000 for your system unless you get lucky in the local paper. eBay is so saturated with cheap systems, yours wont stand a chance.

2) Gaming system.. AMD dual core.. Opteron series CPU.. you can build a whole system for around $1500 easily.

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Do people think Conroe will take over amd with gaming systems? I was planning on waiting for AM2 but if people think conroe will be better...

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Here is actually what my current "idea" for what my system will be in august:

-AMD X2-4800 or Fx-57
-Nvidia 7900GTX (evga superclocked??)
-2GB Crucial XMS DDR?
-keep my current 60GB IDE & 120GB IDE Western Digital HD's
-X-fi xtremeMusic

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Conroe is supposed to put Intel even with AMD. AM2 is not going to give any huge performane gains. If you thinking of going AMD the only reason to wait would be to save some cash.

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
was just reading some benchmarks from conroe and it seemed that it kicked the crap outa amd with gaming performance?

Also, will the conroe be crazy priced like over say 700 dollars?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Most benchmarks are comparing prototype Conroe systems to current AMD solutions, which is iffy at best. Conroe will probably be in line price wise with the current Pentium M models.