Sign in with
Your question

Laptop help please

Last response: in Components
March 30, 2006 5:27:06 PM

I am looking a buying a laptop soon and this will be my first laptop. My price range is between £1000 - £1500 and I am looking for one that will do well with 3D tasks. I have found these two laptops that look like they will dod for what I want:
HP
Asus

What do people think of the spec of these laptops?
Also if anyone knows or owns a laptop that has good performance and they enjoy using please let me know. I am open for sugestions.
The laptop would be used for:
Internet
Office Tasks
Music+Movies
Some Gaming
Thanks in advanced.

More about : laptop

March 30, 2006 5:34:28 PM

The ASUS machine has the specs you want for your tasks indicated and would do a nice job for you.

Dual core is the way to do go. As long as you purchase either that ASUS machine or a similar machine with those specs, you'll be in good shape.
March 30, 2006 5:43:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think that might go for the Asus. What caught my eye with the HP was the 3.4GHz P4. After looking at reviews for those Intel Cores they sound fast.
Related resources
March 30, 2006 5:58:15 PM

From experience as an HP technician, I would avoid HP notebook computers. Many of them have heat issues when running any remotely processor intensive application even when sitting on a smooth, hard, flat surface and an ambient temp of under 75 degrees.

They just aren't well designed.

You would probably be safer with the ASUS one.
March 30, 2006 6:09:11 PM

Yeah, those higher clock speeds do look good but, the newer dothan and yonah cores from Intel are much better. Stick with those especially the dual cores.
March 30, 2006 6:09:54 PM

Thanks for relpying. That doesnt sound too good. I was reading some reviews on the HP laptop I have got linked and everone said that it gets really hot on and around the touch pad.
March 30, 2006 6:18:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, those higher clock speeds do look good but, the newer dothan and yonah cores from Intel are much better. Stick with those especially the dual cores.

At the time I wasnt really thinking about the Asus being dual core and was just looking at the speed of 3.4GHz(HP) and 2GHz(Asus).

After the relpies from here and some reviews that I have read I am really prefering the Asus.
Its got more RAM, better GPU, better battery life, its lighter and I like the sound of the new Intel Core CPU's.

Does anyone know what the 256Mb SMA means on the end of the GPU?
!