problems with pci express slot

maximusthedistraught

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
hello. I am an idiot.I am nowhere near a computer genius and i recently purchased a vga nvidia geforce 6500 . unfortunately i didn't check how many Pci express channels it needed. it needed 16. and as soon as i took it out it was obvious that it wouldn't fit. so esentially my question is two fold. first, do i have to purchase a new motherboard in order for this graphics card to work or,is there a magical solution i am not aware of? secondly, i cannot identifyexactly what PCI express i have. how can i figure this out? thank you any help would be greatly appreiciated.

bxmedic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
First maybe I missed something but I have never heard of a 6500; also you need to include more info ie, motherboard brand & model, cpu, ram, etc. The more information you give the more we can help.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
It sounds like maybe you have an AGP motherboard (which will NOT accomodate a PCI-E board).

Making the jump to PCI-E has its rewards, but it is a fairly big jump. In addition to a new motherboard, you will probably need a new CPU and possibly new RAM as well. Since you are not a computer genius, you probably will not want to do this on your own, so you would either need a buddy to help you, or you would be looking at basically purchasing a whole new system.

Or, you can take the card back and exchange it for an appropriate video card (take your computer so someone at the store can verify if it is indeed AGP). AGP cards are losing shelf space, and quality AGP cards are getting more expensive. In the end you and your wallet will have to decide what you want to do and how serious an investment you are willing to make.