Crossfire with a Asus A8R-MVP and 1800XT?

Toby

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
i basically brought a Asus A8R-MVP last year with a Asus EAX1800XT 512mb graphics card with the future option of crossfire.

thing is though the new 1900s have come out and i was looking at them and noticed a "crossfire edition" while the 1800 doesn't have a crossfire edtion one.

is it just a case of going out and buying the same make graphics card as my current one and plugging it into the mobo or have i missed something?

also if i brought the "TOP" version of it would that still work with my current one, or would it decrease in performance to match the other?

Cheers
Toby

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
There is an 1800 crossfire edition, look harder (if you want). I originally got an a8r-mvp and an 1800 with the hopes that I could use a 1900 CFE just as you are looking at. It should be possible, but I have not found anyone who has done it, and I get the feeling that ATI would have to specifically allow it in drivers.

The drivers are in control. You can use two 1300's, two 1600's, and now two of the latest 1800 (the smaller version) without a crossfire edition. This leads me to believe it is all a driver control issue, and that the cards are physically able to combine with other cards but the driver must know how to put them together.

The problem with an 1800 & 1900 is that the technology is not an exact match, so some of the tiling modes might not provide exactly the same results. I would be happy if I could have one card do all the main frame creation and the other card do all the AA (max AA of course) on that frame.

You might find some good deals on 1800 crossfires on ebay.

good luck.

Toby

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
ah so they are out there, i've UK based, so i've been looking at aria, scan, novatech and dabs but without luck. they have the 1800's but no "crossfire edition". was thinking that it would be ok getting the same model and it would work fine, just thought i'd check.

Cheers for the help!