Maximizing Airflow and Exhaust

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
wow i didnt know if anyone else had tried this but as i read in a thread someone plugged holes in the floor to lower room temps. this is an anwser to that.

my case is a "demon" dont remember the manufacturer but it has alot of large grated openings for massive airflow. my favorite one is the one located right on top of the case behind the PSU, supposedly its there to release the excess heat from the back of the psu straight up ouyt of the cas (i imagine).

but i have a multi fan psu (1 for intake, 1 for exhaust) so its reall not needed as my PSU slams heat out of the casse. also all the PCI slot covers in the back are all grated (small holes)

all though my ambient temperature was great inside the case (close to room temp always) my video card was stuck in a whirl wind of its own exhaust down at the bottom of the case and i had no idea of how to exhaust it better than actually hooking up a giant fan to it.

so the idea dawned on me to plug up some of those holes and grates to maximize the negative pressure inside the case to pull all that hot air out more efficiently but i didnt want to lose my airflow completely cus im pretty sure its what keeps my prescott nice and happy.

so i decided to use the foam padding that comes with many hardware purcheases. you know the greyish foam pad under the motherboard. yeah, it also allows a small amount of air to pass through and doubles as a filter.

this material did not completely stop airflow through the grated holes and significantly raised the vaccum inside my case to force the cold air in and the hot air out the back 8)

my cpu temps didnt see much of a gain 1-2*C but my vido card dropped about 6-7*C telling me that it was removing that hot air way more efficiently.

its very easy to cut to any size and the best part is its free!

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i could but i think im just gonna go with water, besides its wicked hot here in the summer and i dont know if ima be able to afford to crank the AC all the time.