Is it possible to disable OEM INK warning on Epson printer..

tE

Is it possible to disable the non-epson / oem ink warning on the newest
Epson R300M printer driver? v 5.5aA ?

This latest version gives me a popup everytime I print, saying the
cartridges installed are NOT epson carts, and I must manually press ok to
continue printing... Makes it impossible to print multiple copies without
user intervention! :(

HELP

kaiser

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001

"Te" <te@-NOSPAM-pobox.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to disable the non-epson / oem ink warning on the newest
> Epson R300M printer driver? v 5.5aA ?
>
> This latest version gives me a popup everytime I print, saying the
> cartridges installed are NOT epson carts, and I must manually press ok to
> continue printing... Makes it impossible to print multiple copies without
> user intervention! :(
>
> HELP

On some of the latest Epson printers you can uninstall the Status Monitor
Software and just leave the driver installed, that will stop the popup.

The only problem with doing this is that you will need to monitor your ink
usage using the LCD display on the printer or install the SSC printer
utility from the following site.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

tE

"Kaiser" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

> "Te" <te@-NOSPAM-pobox.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to disable the non-epson / oem ink warning on the newest
> > Epson R300M printer driver? v 5.5aA ?
> >
> > This latest version gives me a popup everytime I print, saying the
> > cartridges installed are NOT epson carts, and I must manually press ok
> > continue printing... Makes it impossible to print multiple copies
without
> > user intervention! :(
> >
> > HELP
> >

> On some of the latest Epson printers you can uninstall the Status Monitor
> Software and just leave the driver installed, that will stop the popup.
>
> The only problem with doing this is that you will need to monitor your ink
> usage using the LCD display on the printer or install the SSC printer
> utility from the following site.
>
> http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

I tried to disable the status monitor - which if I'm correct, is the small
icon in the system tray.. I did so successfully using start->run->msconfig
and disabling it from startup items, however, the nag screen still appeared
when I tried to print.

rus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

"Te" <te@-NOSPAM-pobox.com> wrote in

> Is it possible to disable the non-epson / oem ink warning on the
> newest Epson R300M printer driver? v 5.5aA ?
>
> This latest version gives me a popup everytime I print, saying the
> cartridges installed are NOT epson carts, and I must manually press ok
> to continue printing... Makes it impossible to print multiple copies
> without user intervention! :(
>
> HELP

I hate to hear that Epson is doing that. I just ran to the Epson site
to nab older copies of drivers for my Epson's.

Hope someone finds a way to kill that nag action. Some day I'll need
another Epson.

In the meantime, if I find a way to kill the nag, I'll post here.

BTW, have you poked around in the registry to see if there's something
easily modified there? Or, maybe in an Epson *.inf?

//rus//

tE

"Rus" <me@meander.net> wrote in message
> "Te" <te@-NOSPAM-pobox.com> wrote in
>
> > Is it possible to disable the non-epson / oem ink warning on the
> > newest Epson R300M printer driver? v 5.5aA ?
> >
> > This latest version gives me a popup everytime I print, saying the
> > cartridges installed are NOT epson carts, and I must manually press ok
> > to continue printing... Makes it impossible to print multiple copies
> > without user intervention! :(
> >
> > HELP
> >

> I hate to hear that Epson is doing that. I just ran to the Epson site
> to nab older copies of drivers for my Epson's.
>
> Hope someone finds a way to kill that nag action. Some day I'll need
> another Epson.
>
> In the meantime, if I find a way to kill the nag, I'll post here.
>
> BTW, have you poked around in the registry to see if there's something
> easily modified there? Or, maybe in an Epson *.inf?
>
> //rus//

I have not... since I don't know what I'm looking for- I'd be afraid to
alter something I'm not supposed to.

You mention getting the older versions of the drivers, where would I be able
to find the older (pre v5.5aA) versions of my drivers for the R300M ?

> "Kaiser" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Te" <te@-NOSPAM-pobox.com> wrote in message
>> > Is it possible to disable the non-epson / oem ink warning on the newest
>> > Epson R300M printer driver? v 5.5aA ?
>> >
>> > This latest version gives me a popup everytime I print, saying the
>> > cartridges installed are NOT epson carts, and I must manually press ok
>> > continue printing... Makes it impossible to print multiple copies
> without
>> > user intervention! :(
>> >
>> > HELP
>> >

>> On some of the latest Epson printers you can uninstall the Status Monitor
>> Software and just leave the driver installed, that will stop the popup.
>>
>> The only problem with doing this is that you will need to monitor your
>> ink
>> usage using the LCD display on the printer or install the SSC printer
>> utility from the following site.
>>
>> http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
>>

> I tried to disable the status monitor - which if I'm correct, is the small
> icon in the system tray.. I did so successfully using start->run->msconfig
> and disabling it from startup items, however, the nag screen still
> appeared
> when I tried to print.

I said uninstall, not disable.

kaiser

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001

>> I tried to disable the status monitor - which if I'm correct, is the
>> small
>> icon in the system tray.. I did so successfully using
>> start->run->msconfig
>> and disabling it from startup items, however, the nag screen still
>> appeared
>> when I tried to print.
>>

> I said uninstall, not disable.

I have already done this exercise on a CX6400 using V5.5a driver, and by
uninstalling the status monitor it no longer gives the popup message. If you
go to add & remove programs in the control panel select the epson driver,
you can then deselect the driver and select the status monitor tab to remove
that only.

rus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

"Kaiser" <no@spam.com> wrote in

>>> I tried to disable the status monitor - which if I'm correct, is the
>>> small
>>> icon in the system tray.. I did so successfully using
>>> start->run->msconfig
>>> and disabling it from startup items, however, the nag screen still
>>> appeared
>>> when I tried to print.
>>>

>> I said uninstall, not disable.
>>
> I have already done this exercise on a CX6400 using V5.5a driver, and
> by uninstalling the status monitor it no longer gives the popup
> message. If you go to add & remove programs in the control panel
> select the epson driver, you can then deselect the driver and select
> the status monitor tab to remove that only.

Interesting. I'm using a new driver 5.5a for my C86. It only nags one
time when I install a new 3rd party cartridge. It doesn't nag with each
print job as Te has said.

I wonder if, perhaps, it's only certain brands of 3rd party cartridges
that bring up this nag with each print job?

//rus//

rus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

> "Rus" <me@meander.net> wrote in message
>> "Te" <te@-NOSPAM-pobox.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Is it possible to disable the non-epson / oem ink warning on the
>> > newest Epson R300M printer driver? v 5.5aA ?
>> >
>> > This latest version gives me a popup everytime I print, saying the
>> > cartridges installed are NOT epson carts, and I must manually press
>> > ok to continue printing... Makes it impossible to print multiple
>> > copies without user intervention! :(
>> >
>> > HELP
>> >

>> I hate to hear that Epson is doing that. I just ran to the Epson
>> site to nab older copies of drivers for my Epson's.
>>
>> Hope someone finds a way to kill that nag action. Some day I'll need
>> another Epson.
>>
>> In the meantime, if I find a way to kill the nag, I'll post here.
>>
>> BTW, have you poked around in the registry to see if there's
>> something easily modified there? Or, maybe in an Epson *.inf?
>>
>> //rus//
>
> I have not... since I don't know what I'm looking for- I'd be afraid
> to alter something I'm not supposed to.
>
> You mention getting the older versions of the drivers, where would I
> be able to find the older (pre v5.5aA) versions of my drivers for the
> R300M ?

Hmmm. You said that you "had troubles" and therefore had to install the
latest driver. That indicates to me that you might have had the older
driver installed in the first place. No? If you had originally
installed the older version, wouldn't you be able to find the old version
on your installer CD-ROM?

Anyway ...

It's still on the Epson FTP (File Transfer Protocol) site. They bundle
the drivers in self-extracting zipped files with a randomly assigned
numerical name. It's hard to discover which of the hundreds of files are
yours without a tool because the file names don't give a clue.

Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and click around. Click on
"Windows." Go to the drop-down box where it says: "Jump to." Choose
"Drivers." Search for the R300. If they have a listing, there may be
several listings. Each of the links at VersionTracker.com will probably
be a link to the Epson FTP site.

If you can't find an older version there, go to http://www.download.com
and search there.

And ... of course ... there's always Google. Google knows everything !!

//rus//

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

Just tried the latest driver 5.5bAs from the Epson site and tehre is
no popup message. I do have the monitor tray icon disabled but this
wasn't generating the message anyway. I like the SSC Service Utility
better than the Epson tray utility.

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

The driver that shipped with my R300 is 5.57E and there is no option
to uninstall the ststus monitor and leave only the drivers. I have
deleted different reg entries and status monitor files in an attempt
to get around the ink warning but no luck so far.