Voip implementation

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

Hi,

I am an IT graduate student and doing a term paper on Voip
implementation. I am a assuming a company XYZ has a point to point T1
connection between three locations(Cincinnati,Chicago & Detroit).The
company plans to implement Voip at each of these locations.There are
fifty users at each of the location.My questions are:

1.How many phone & fax lines can be accomodated on the T1 line?
2.Will the T1 line be able to handle all 50 users simultaneously?
3.How do you calculate the above(1) & (2)?
4.What is point-to-point T1 line: does it mean that there is a
dedicated line that runs between one location's Lan to the
other location's Lan?
or there is a dedicated line between one location & the internet
backbone (ib) & from the ib to the other location?
5.How does one go about figuring out the cost of
hardware,software,manpower & time to implement Voip in the company
XYZ?

Would really appreciate if you can let me know on the above.

thanks,
Teju
22 answers Last reply
More about voip implementation
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <ac9830d7.0404202025.50c499e5@posting.google.com>,
    Trilok <trilok1@coolgoose.com> wrote:
    : I am an IT graduate student and doing a term paper on Voip
    :implementation.

    : 1.How many phone & fax lines can be accomodated on the T1 line?

    A channelized T1 would have 24 independant timeslots, 1.544 megabits
    per second total. Each timeslot could be used to carry a telephone-
    company quality call of 8000 samples per second, 8 bits per sample.
    (The extra 8000 bits are used to carry control information.)

    That's for standard calls. VOIP would, though, typically use IP
    and compression techniques to reduce the data stream requirements,
    and for VOIP you wouldn't necessarily want to channelize your T1.

    : 2.Will the T1 line be able to handle all 50 users simultaneously?

    You can always adjust the VOIP lossy compression algorithm parameters
    until the data fits. You need a minimum-quality metric in order to
    make a decision about how many VOIP can be carried.

    : 3.How do you calculate the above(1) & (2)?

    (1) is by specification of T1, which you can research in IETF
    standards (or just look up on some page or other at cisco.com)

    (2) is the much more difficult question, as it depends upon the
    quality of your perceptual coding algorithms and upon your standards
    of intelligability at the other end. It also depends on whether the
    VOIP is truly being used to carry -voice-, or if sometimes you want
    to run fax over it, or if sometimes you want high-quality music...

    : 4.What is point-to-point T1 line: does it mean that there is a
    : dedicated line that runs between one location's Lan to the
    : other location's Lan?

    Yup, pretty much. It might go through some switching equipment at
    various telco's along the way, but there would be a dedicated circuit
    (and probably a dedicated timeslot) on each and every one of those
    switches)

    : or there is a dedicated line between one location & the internet
    : backbone (ib) & from the ib to the other location?

    Not for a point-to-point line. But there are variations of that
    approach such as ATM in which what one gets is dedicated virtual
    circuits. Point-to-point T1's always connect the same two locations;
    virtual circuits in some of the other technologies allow bandwidth
    guarantees to be established for the duration of a session, with
    the endpoints being determinable dynamically (provided the endpoints
    are both in the service area of the technology.)

    : 5.How does one go about figuring out the cost of
    :hardware,software,manpower & time to implement Voip in the company
    :XYZ?

    One hires a consultant who has done it before. If you try to do
    VOIP with people who are unfamiliar with the technology and haven't
    had to do similar real-time work before, chances are excellent that
    mistakes will be made, configurations will be experimented with,
    the wrong equipment will be bought, the wrong dedicated line type will
    be installed (on a multi-year contract), the internal switches won't
    be upgraded to QoS, or won't be upgraded to handle enough simultaneous
    channels... etc., etc.. So if you aren't hiring a consultant to
    determine all these prices on your behalf, then whatever figure you
    come up with yourself, you had better multiply by about 8 for hardware
    and change the implimentation time to "person-years" where you had
    "person-months" before.
    --
    Are we *there* yet??
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    Questions questions questions.

    The point to point T1 for Data would just be a 1.544M data stream. So the
    question arises, what compression (if any) would you use? No compression,
    no way you'll get 50 users on there. How much Data is on the link sharing
    bandwidth with the VoIP traffic, or is it a dedicated link for VoIP? If
    there's data, do you have QoS on it? Do you have Modem lines? Fax and
    Modem lines are more susceptible to compression then voice. What kind of
    jitter, and latency do you have on these T1s? How susceptible are they to
    packet loss?

    So, in other words, there are so many possible variables to consider to make
    VoIP work that you won't get them all in a note, and consultants charge
    around $5,000 per site just to evaluate it.

    JT

    "Walter Roberson" <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> [...]
    > :hardware,software,manpower & time to implement Voip in the company
    > :XYZ?
    >
    > One hires a consultant who has done it before. If you try to do
    > VOIP with people who are unfamiliar with the technology and haven't
    > had to do similar real-time work before, chances are excellent that
    > mistakes will be made, configurations will be experimented with,
    > the wrong equipment will be bought, the wrong dedicated line type will
    > be installed (on a multi-year contract), the internal switches won't
    > be upgraded to QoS, or won't be upgraded to handle enough simultaneous
    > channels... etc., etc.. So if you aren't hiring a consultant to
    > determine all these prices on your behalf, then whatever figure you
    > come up with yourself, you had better multiply by about 8 for hardware
    > and change the implimentation time to "person-years" where you had
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    "Joe Technician" <Joe@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > Questions questions questions.
    >
    > The point to point T1 for Data would just be a 1.544M data stream. So the
    > question arises, what compression (if any) would you use? No compression,
    > no way you'll get 50 users on there.

    you need to be careful what you are talking about here. The number of users
    at the site may not be the same as the number of simultaneous calls you
    support offsite.

    e.g. if this is a call centre, then there should be 1 external voice "line"
    per agent or more (or you cant run the call centre at full load, or cant Q
    waiting calls etc).

    if it is a business site, then there are normally fewer lines than users -
    1:4 is a ratio sometimes used for offices at work, but it really depends on
    how much phone use is likely, how many calls go outside, how near the worst
    case peak you want to allow for.....

    Also, the scenario the OP described doesnt mention where / when calls go out
    to the PSTN - given 3 sites there could be a public voice connection at each
    site, just at 1 site or another combination - the arrangement will change
    how much of the total offsite voice traffic needs to go down each T1 link.

    How much Data is on the link sharing
    > bandwidth with the VoIP traffic, or is it a dedicated link for VoIP? If
    > there's data, do you have QoS on it? Do you have Modem lines? Fax and
    > Modem lines are more susceptible to compression then voice. What kind of
    > jitter, and latency do you have on these T1s? How susceptible are they to
    > packet loss?

    And what is the voice encoding? if you look at the cisco design guides for
    call manager, they assume G.711 for LAN calls, and G.729 for WAN calls. The
    bandwidths would work out at 80k and 14 to 28k per call respectively (both
    are full duplex)

    have a look at the call manager design docs at
    www.cisco.com/go/srnd

    they will at least give you an impression of what such a design would look
    like.

    --
    Regards

  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <6jog80ti74p2i31a9jueuboeqqdvk3atne@4ax.com>,
    Mitel Lurker <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote:
    :Ask Cisco how many line key appearances they offer on their most robust IP
    :desktop instrument. Better hope you or your admins don't need more than 6,
    :'cause that's the limit. With Mitel's 5220IP set (14 lines all by itself)
    :you can go to 62 lines with the addition of a PKM48 module and all the way
    :to 110 lines with 2 PKM48s.

    {Sputter.} We were doing more than 6 [pure-digital] line appearances
    20 years ago when I was working on the Mitel SX-2000. The
    figure that sticks in my mind is that my simulation software (for
    demonstrating the console at trade shows) had 8 line appearances
    and that at the time our hardcoded limit was 20 [but that made for
    a crowded display, with all the bar graphs showing the size of the
    call queues.)

    If I recall correctly (don't count on it!), we were running the whole show
    off of a pair of 68020's @ 20 MHz each, per line rack, plus some DSPs.
    (I covetted those 68020's -- my 68000 machine at home only ran at 8 MHz,
    and 20 MHz was so much nicer...) Our development systems were Vaxen,
    780's as I recall. The SX2000 boot images were stored on bubble memory...

    But my NDA probably in theory still prohibits me from talking about
    which language we programmed it all in ;-)
    --
    "[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave Smey
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <c6a1fq$aea$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>
    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:

    >{Sputter.} We were doing more than 6 [pure-digital] line appearances
    >20 years ago when I was working on the Mitel SX-2000.

    Errrr.... that would be E-stream, MS-2001 as memory serves me. It was a
    15-line set using digital signalling and control superimposed on the
    analog voice channel. See? You're not the only old fart around here. If
    you really are that old then you must surely remember the "Lew Barnhouse
    College of SX2000 Knowledge" - 5400 Broken Sound Blvd, Boca Raton, FL.
    Still got my original cert with his signature on it.... or was it Mike and
    Terry's Lawnmower Service... I forget >>smile<<

    68020 @ 20 Mhz is correct.

    >But my NDA probably in theory still prohibits me from talking about
    >which language we programmed it all in ;-)

    Wouldn't have been ADA, would it?

    And while here, I need to correct my previous post. Cisco actually does
    have some side modules similar in concept to the PKM that can extend their
    6-line high end IP set to accomodate addt'l line keys. Unfortunately their
    basic 6-line set is near $400 compared to the 14-line Mitel 5220 at barely
    over $200.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <ctaj80lsi0d1ehf7gnb1d1f222atpbsk90@4ax.com>,
    Mitel Lurker <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote:
    :In article <c6a1fq$aea$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>
    :roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:

    :>{Sputter.} We were doing more than 6 [pure-digital] line appearances
    :>20 years ago when I was working on the Mitel SX-2000.

    :Errrr.... that would be E-stream, MS-2001 as memory serves me. It was a
    :15-line set using digital signalling and control superimposed on the
    :analog voice channel.

    I don't remember the official designation. I'm pretty sure it wasn't
    MS-2001. We called it "The SX2000 Console". I believe you are referring
    to the -next- major product that went through, which did some hybrid
    SS7 signalling as a transition-level product.

    :See? You're not the only old fart around here. If
    :you really are that old then you must surely remember the "Lew Barnhouse
    :College of SX2000 Knowledge" - 5400 Broken Sound Blvd, Boca Raton, FL.
    :Still got my original cert with his signature on it.... or was it Mike and
    :Terry's Lawnmower Service... I forget >>smile<<

    I predate anyone in the USA knowing anything about the SX2000 ;-)

    I was an co-op/student programmer at Mitel in the year leading up to the
    SX2000 launch. As I recall, my official contribution of record was
    the debugging of the "Call Forward" protocols, and the design and
    implimentation of "Camp on - Busy" and "Camp on - No Answer". But I also
    ended up building a bunch of the development tools, taking on noticable
    portions of the systems administration, and doing a *lot* of integration
    testing and debugging -- so my fingers ended up in the pies of nearly
    everything -except- the programming of the digital line cards themselves,
    the development of the bubble-memory subsystem. I also did was not involved
    in the development of the compilers themselves, but because the nightly
    builds somehow ended up in front of me, I did end up doing some
    work with the compiler people (when the compiles failed, or the image
    didn't work, I'd be debugging the switch code or debugging the compilers...)

    :>But my NDA probably in theory still prohibits me from talking about
    :>which language we programmed it all in ;-)

    :Wouldn't have been ADA, would it?

    ADA was still in the discussion phases in that timeframe.

    Nah, my NDA probably expired about 15 years ago -- I'm just embarrased
    to name the development language ;-)

    Ah, those were the days... We had some good people, and I wonder what
    happened to some of them. I learned a lot. Even got my heart broken
    for the first time ;-)
    --
    The Knights Of The Lambda Calculus aren't dead --this is their normal form!
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <c6cmup$360$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>
    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:

    >I don't remember the official designation. I'm pretty sure it wasn't
    >MS-2001.

    There's an old TSB still on Mitel Online, doc # MD4209-NA-01 written Dec
    '98 which states in part: <quoted>

    1.1 MS2001 (E10)
    This release introduced the following:
    Hardware
    " Superset™3, Superset™ 4 & Superset™7 introduced
    " Dataset 1 & 2 introduced
    " Redundant File System developed
    " Almost every control card required major hardware & firmware rev
    changes from C-stream including the COV cards.
    " Double ribbon cable on the winchester disk drives
    " Greater than 1 Peripheral Pair
    Maintenance
    " "restrict" Command to load balance Per Pairs (Rotary sets & DID
    Trunks)
    Features
    " Advanced ARS
    " Advanced Data
    " SMDR

    <end quote>

    The reference here of course being to officially released, shipping
    hardware and program code...

    >I was an co-op/student programmer at Mitel in the year leading up to the
    >SX2000 launch.

    That would had to have been 1982 then. The SX2000 was officially released
    to production in 1983 with software level C17 (MS2000).

    Quoting again from that same document....

    4.1 MS2000 (C17)
    The SX-2000 finally exited field trials with C17 software. There was
    limited functionality in this release. There was no redundant file system
    on this single cabinet SG.
    " Hardware
    " SG - Single Cabinet, Non-Redundant
    " Features
    " Limited Functionality (Basic Voice)

    <end quote>

    The multiline "digital sets" (Superset 3 and 4) did not come along
    (officially) until MS2001 and software stream release E10.4 in 1984.
    (there was no D-stream). Somewhere I heard rumors of a "Superset 1" but
    I've never seen one and have been so far unable to confirm its existence.

    >Nah, my NDA probably expired about 15 years ago -- I'm just embarrased
    >to name the development language ;-)

    Ahah, so you know COBOL!!! You know of course this means you will have to
    be cryogenically frozen until the year 2999 so you can be thawed out at
    that time to help mankind deal with transitioning their computers of the
    era to Y3K ;-)

    >Ah, those were the days... We had some good people, and I wonder what
    >happened to some of them. I learned a lot. Even got my heart broken
    >for the first time ;-)

    MaryJo? (drool....)
  8. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <v0mk80d8h13hhmuqmclschfsf24nh99qd0@4ax.com>,
    Mitel Lurker <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote:
    :The multiline "digital sets" (Superset 3 and 4) did not come along
    :(officially) until MS2001 and software stream release E10.4 in 1984.
    :(there was no D-stream). Somewhere I heard rumors of a "Superset 1" but
    :I've never seen one and have been so far unable to confirm its existence.

    Now that name, "Superset 1", sounds familiar in the timeframe I was
    there. Somewhere in the back of my mind, some neurons are firing
    suggesting to me that the Superset 1 was released first in the UK.

    I am *sure* the SX-2000 console, whatever it's official model number,
    was multi-line and pure digital -- I worked with it a bit on
    some throw-away code for the launch demo.

    :Ahah, so you know COBOL!!!

    PERFORM MYLIFE VARYING DENY_KNOWING_COBOL TO TRUE.

    :>Ah, those were the days... We had some good people, and I wonder what
    :>happened to some of them. I learned a lot. Even got my heart broken
    :>for the first time ;-)

    :MaryJo? (drool....)

    I didn't work with any "MaryJo". Sounds like a name from the Corporate
    side. No, a fair bit of the development team was not much older than I --
    if you had 6 years of experience you were entitled to be a "senior
    programmer" (3rd official ranking up, not including students); pretty
    much anyone over the age of 26 was a manager, and by 33 you would
    definitely be a senior manager, perhaps with 2 levels below you (and
    the students below that.) But as they say, some comrades are more equal
    than others, and to be a senior development manager was certainly to
    have much less real power and prestige than a more junior manager on
    the corporate side.

    > 1982

    January 1982 to mid-September 1983 for me. It was an interesting time
    to work there (the Kanata development lab). I went back to university
    after that, which was a bit tough to re-adapt to after many months of
    very long days doing real development work. I could have stayed, and
    life would have been very different if I had; but I heard the whole
    Mitel corporate culture changed a *lot* over the two years after that
    (high inflation, low sales, OPEC crisis.) By 1985 or so, some of
    the people I had worked with had left Mitel and were saying they'd
    never go back.

    If it had all happened a dozen years later, it would have been a
    typical dot-com experience -- work hard, almost cultish-ly so, with
    some great people, to get out A Product That Will Change The World...
    only to have the product not do so well, the whole culture turn sour
    compared to the early days, big layoffs, talk of bankruptcy, founders
    forced out, people burnt out, etc..

    And now that you have me going over my memories of that time, and having
    gained a bit of perspective, I think I'd say that experiences like that
    are addictive -- there's a real "rush" in feeling like you're working
    hard for a Good Cause, that the problems are tough but your team is is
    bright and conquers them, that you belong, that what you are doing
    is Important, and that you yourself are Important because you are
    giving so much of yourself to the Cause.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <c6e6cn$741$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>
    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:

    >I am *sure* the SX-2000 console, whatever it's official model number,
    >was multi-line and pure digital -- I worked with it a bit on
    >some throw-away code for the launch demo.

    The first SX2000 "Console" was in fact pure digital and the PBX card that
    ran it was called a "High Speed Digital Line Card" and supported a max of
    8 consoles, but only a fool ever dared to put more than 4 on one card due
    to bus congestion on the backplane, a limitation which never improved
    throughout the entire life of the SG machine. The released/shipping
    console of that era was called the "Superset 7". Believe it or not I just
    finally retired 3 of those things back in 2001 when we (finally) replaced
    5 cabinets of SG hardware (2 main controls and total of 3 PER cabinets)
    with 34 cabinets of SX2K Light (4 main controls). The SX2K Light
    architecture successfully compressed a full entire SX2000SG "Control
    Plane" (line rack) down to TWO plug in boards. The new MN3300 ICP machine
    squeezes the whole freakin switch down to "2U" in a 19" rack (700 lines
    present max cap. of the 3300)

    >:Ahah, so you know COBOL!!!

    >PERFORM MYLIFE VARYING DENY_KNOWING_COBOL TO TRUE.

    ROTFLMAO!

    >January 1982 to mid-September 1983 for me. It was an interesting time
    >to work there (the Kanata development lab).

    The Kanata lab is still there and going strong. They sold off the
    semiconductor devision to pump capital back into the PBX. Terry Matthews
    has been back at the helm for a couple years now and has breathed some new
    life into the company, hired a bunch of engineers, etc. If 9-1-1 and the
    Enron debacle hadn't happened, it would have gone public by now. In case
    you didn't know, they bought Gandalf and March Networks a while back,
    which of course became the impetus for the new MN3300 VOIP product.

    Did you happen to know a gent by the name of Claude Richard?
  10. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    Ahh you Mitel boys bring a tear to my eye. Recently I removed an SX-200 I
    maintained and replaced it with an option 11. I watched as the trash men
    hauled her away since no home was to be found for, even her parts.

    John 807
    "Mitel Lurker" <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote in message
    > In article <c6e6cn$741$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>
    > roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    >

    > >I am *sure* the SX-2000 console, whatever it's official model number,
    > >was multi-line and pure digital -- I worked with it a bit on
    > >some throw-away code for the launch demo.
    >
    > The first SX2000 "Console" was in fact pure digital and the PBX card that
    > ran it was called a "High Speed Digital Line Card" and supported a max of
    > 8 consoles, but only a fool ever dared to put more than 4 on one card due
    > to bus congestion on the backplane, a limitation which never improved
    > throughout the entire life of the SG machine. The released/shipping
    > console of that era was called the "Superset 7". Believe it or not I just
    > finally retired 3 of those things back in 2001 when we (finally) replaced
    > 5 cabinets of SG hardware (2 main controls and total of 3 PER cabinets)
    > with 34 cabinets of SX2K Light (4 main controls). The SX2K Light
    > architecture successfully compressed a full entire SX2000SG "Control
    > Plane" (line rack) down to TWO plug in boards. The new MN3300 ICP machine
    > squeezes the whole freakin switch down to "2U" in a 19" rack (700 lines
    > present max cap. of the 3300)
    >
    > >:Ahah, so you know COBOL!!!
    >
    > >PERFORM MYLIFE VARYING DENY_KNOWING_COBOL TO TRUE.
    >
    > ROTFLMAO!
    >
    > >January 1982 to mid-September 1983 for me. It was an interesting time
    > >to work there (the Kanata development lab).
    >
    > The Kanata lab is still there and going strong. They sold off the
    > semiconductor devision to pump capital back into the PBX. Terry Matthews
    > has been back at the helm for a couple years now and has breathed some new
    > life into the company, hired a bunch of engineers, etc. If 9-1-1 and the
    > Enron debacle hadn't happened, it would have gone public by now. In case
    > you didn't know, they bought Gandalf and March Networks a while back,
    > which of course became the impetus for the new MN3300 VOIP product.
    >
    > Did you happen to know a gent by the name of Claude Richard?

  11. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    Assuming that was an old SX200 Analog or an analog-converted digital
    (Black box), don't apologize, you did the right thing. Not even the Mitel
    secondary market salvage shops have any use for that old iron. Oh maybe
    Mike Sandman in Chicago would have taken it. On the off chance it was a
    200ML or 200EL, Terry Cunningham at Dean Enterprises would have given you
    something for it. The 200ML/EL is a nice little system, ideal hotel/motel
    or small to medium size office.

    Where I come from an "807" is either an old power tetrode or a can of
    beer.

    In article <GYZic.27598$t26.7575510@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> "John"
    <jbrtel@optonline.net> writes:

    >Ahh you Mitel boys bring a tear to my eye. Recently I removed an SX-200 I
    >maintained and replaced it with an option 11. I watched as the trash men
    >hauled her away since no home was to be found for, even her parts.
    >
    > John 807
  12. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    Yeah, it was an old analog sx-200 that some unauthorized snake oil salesman
    sold the customer about 4 years ago claiming it was new then disappeared.
    Through a friend of a friend I ended up servicing the account after
    informing the customer the switch was '80's vintage and giving him the
    option to upgrade then. Since he had just bought the switch we limped it
    along until the batteries on the gen. 217 died and he didn't want to replace
    and reprogram.

    "807" old Bell Atlantic I.D. number (take away your name and give you
    a number) Name that song?

    > Assuming that was an old SX200 Analog or an analog-converted digital
    > (Black box), don't apologize, you did the right thing. Not even the Mitel
    > secondary market salvage shops have any use for that old iron. Oh maybe
    > Mike Sandman in Chicago would have taken it. On the off chance it was a
    > 200ML or 200EL, Terry Cunningham at Dean Enterprises would have given you
    > something for it. The 200ML/EL is a nice little system, ideal hotel/motel
    > or small to medium size office.
    >
    > Where I come from an "807" is either an old power tetrode or a can of
    > beer.
    >
    > In article <GYZic.27598$t26.7575510@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> "John"
    > <jbrtel@optonline.net> writes:
    >
    > >Ahh you Mitel boys bring a tear to my eye. Recently I removed an SX-200 I
    > >maintained and replaced it with an option 11. I watched as the trash men
    > >hauled her away since no home was to be found for, even her parts.
    > >
    > > John 807

  13. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    Snake oil salesmen gotta eat too. 5 years ago I sold and installed a
    4-Line 1A2 system (WECO 551 shoebox) + Melco dial intercom and a
    half-dozen refurb'd 2565 HCK's to a boat shop in Bettendorf, Iowa. The guy
    needed phones & intercom *REAL BAD* but had no money. I showed him how to
    change lamps and gave him a spare interruptor and some extra 400D cards.
    Got an xmas card from him last year, and said phones are working fine. You
    cannot kill 1A2.

    In article <jcTjc.27776$Gd3.6669249@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> "John"
    <jbrtel@optonline.net> writes:

    >Yeah, it was an old analog sx-200 that some unauthorized snake oil salesman
    >sold the customer about 4 years ago claiming it was new then disappeared.
    >Through a friend of a friend I ended up servicing the account after
    >informing the customer the switch was '80's vintage and giving him the
    >option to upgrade then. Since he had just bought the switch we limped it
    >along until the batteries on the gen. 217 died and he didn't want to replace
    >and reprogram.
    >
    > "807" old Bell Atlantic I.D. number (take away your name and give you
    >a number) Name that song?
    >

    > John 807
    >"Mitel Lurker" <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote in message
    >> Assuming that was an old SX200 Analog or an analog-converted digital
    >> (Black box), don't apologize, you did the right thing. Not even the Mitel
    >> secondary market salvage shops have any use for that old iron. Oh maybe
    >> Mike Sandman in Chicago would have taken it. On the off chance it was a
    >> 200ML or 200EL, Terry Cunningham at Dean Enterprises would have given you
    >> something for it. The 200ML/EL is a nice little system, ideal hotel/motel
    >> or small to medium size office.
    >>
    >> Where I come from an "807" is either an old power tetrode or a can of
    >> beer.
    >>
    >> In article <GYZic.27598$t26.7575510@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> "John"
    >> <jbrtel@optonline.net> writes:
    >>
    >> >Ahh you Mitel boys bring a tear to my eye. Recently I removed an SX-200 I
    >> >maintained and replaced it with an option 11. I watched as the trash men
    >> >hauled her away since no home was to be found for, even her parts.
    >> >
    >> > John 807

  14. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    Perfect application for 1A2 and it still works if the power goes out. Free
    music on hold as the interrupter goes Ka-Chunk Ka-Chunk. I've still gotta
    couple of them out there horse farms and such. I didn't mind the guy selling
    the sx-200 it was the misrepresentation of its age that bothered me. I'm
    sure you didn't tell the guy at the boat yard that the 551 was brand new and
    state of the art and walk away with brand new system money in your pocket.
    Are you in Iowa, what systems do you do other than Mitel?

    > Snake oil salesmen gotta eat too. 5 years ago I sold and installed a
    > 4-Line 1A2 system (WECO 551 shoebox) + Melco dial intercom and a
    > half-dozen refurb'd 2565 HCK's to a boat shop in Bettendorf, Iowa. The guy
    > needed phones & intercom *REAL BAD* but had no money. I showed him how to
    > change lamps and gave him a spare interruptor and some extra 400D cards.
    > Got an xmas card from him last year, and said phones are working fine. You
    > cannot kill 1A2.
    >
    > In article <jcTjc.27776$Gd3.6669249@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> "John"
    > <jbrtel@optonline.net> writes:
    >
    > >Yeah, it was an old analog sx-200 that some unauthorized snake oil
    salesman
    > >sold the customer about 4 years ago claiming it was new then disappeared.
    > >Through a friend of a friend I ended up servicing the account after
    > >informing the customer the switch was '80's vintage and giving him the
    > >option to upgrade then. Since he had just bought the switch we limped it
    > >along until the batteries on the gen. 217 died and he didn't want to
    replace
    > >and reprogram.
    > >
    > > "807" old Bell Atlantic I.D. number (take away your name and give
    you
    > >a number) Name that song?
    > >

    > > John 807
    > >"Mitel Lurker" <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote in message
    > >> Assuming that was an old SX200 Analog or an analog-converted digital
    > >> (Black box), don't apologize, you did the right thing. Not even the
    Mitel
    > >> secondary market salvage shops have any use for that old iron. Oh maybe
    > >> Mike Sandman in Chicago would have taken it. On the off chance it was a
    > >> 200ML or 200EL, Terry Cunningham at Dean Enterprises would have given
    you
    > >> something for it. The 200ML/EL is a nice little system, ideal
    hotel/motel
    > >> or small to medium size office.
    > >>
    > >> Where I come from an "807" is either an old power tetrode or a can of
    > >> beer.

    SX-200 I

  15. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    I'm in Texas. Used to be from Iowa, and still go back for visits now and
    then. It was during one of those visits that the old friend prevailed upon
    me to set him up with something dirt cheap but reliable. I basically
    contributed my labor. He contributed the beer and gave me $300 for the
    KSU, phones, cabling, spares, etc. He & his kid pulled the cables through
    the ceiling, I punched them down, ran a couple dozen jumbers and made the
    sign of the cross with my foot when we fired it all up. Ooops, forgot they
    were 2565's; can't bridge 'em without pulling the violets off... ;)

    Today I am employed by a major energy company. Much to the chegrin of
    local area service shops, we are COAM and do it all ourselves, from power
    & grounding & startup commissioning to advanced ARS. Counting me there are
    4 of us on staff all with Mitel certs through LW32 rls 2 and MN3300 rls
    4.1, including Ops Man, ACD-2000, ISDN PRI and oh yeah, Speak@Ease. At one
    time we were (may still be) one of Mitel's largest "all DC powered"
    customers (except for the new MN3300 stuff). We've been a Mitel customer
    (and COAM) since 1985. For diversity, I also have a 300-seat Etrali
    Etradeal turret system networked (ETSI Q.sig) to the Mitel. It's enhanced
    Q.sig over 4 E1 Pri's including the usual CLI/CNI plus CFwd BZ/NA reason
    codes, MWI set/clear & transparent integration to a pair of networked
    Octel Overture 250's.

    Mitel's 3300 VOIP system is way cool and blows the competition away.

    In article <4QXjc.33621$Gd3.7629629@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> "John"
    <jbrtel@optonline.net> writes:

    >Perfect application for 1A2 and it still works if the power goes out. Free
    >music on hold as the interrupter goes Ka-Chunk Ka-Chunk. I've still gotta
    >couple of them out there horse farms and such. I didn't mind the guy selling
    >the sx-200 it was the misrepresentation of its age that bothered me. I'm
    >sure you didn't tell the guy at the boat yard that the 551 was brand new and
    >state of the art and walk away with brand new system money in your pocket.
    >Are you in Iowa, what systems do you do other than Mitel?
  16. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    > I'm in Texas. Used to be from Iowa, and still go back for visits now and
    > then. It was during one of those visits that the old friend prevailed upon
    > me to set him up with something dirt cheap but reliable. I basically
    > contributed my labor. He contributed the beer and gave me $300 for the
    > KSU, phones, cabling, spares, etc. He & his kid pulled the cables through
    > the ceiling, I punched them down, ran a couple dozen jumbers and made the
    > sign of the cross with my foot when we fired it all up. Ooops, forgot they
    > were 2565's; can't bridge 'em without pulling the violets off... ;)
    >
    > Today I am employed by a major energy company. Much to the chegrin of
    > local area service shops, we are COAM and do it all ourselves, from power
    > & grounding & startup commissioning to advanced ARS. Counting me there are
    > 4 of us on staff all with Mitel certs through LW32 rls 2 and MN3300 rls
    > 4.1, including Ops Man, ACD-2000, ISDN PRI and oh yeah, Speak@Ease. At one
    > time we were (may still be) one of Mitel's largest "all DC powered"
    > customers (except for the new MN3300 stuff). We've been a Mitel customer
    > (and COAM) since 1985. For diversity, I also have a 300-seat Etrali
    > Etradeal turret system networked (ETSI Q.sig) to the Mitel. It's enhanced
    > Q.sig over 4 E1 Pri's including the usual CLI/CNI plus CFwd BZ/NA reason
    > codes, MWI set/clear & transparent integration to a pair of networked
    > Octel Overture 250's.
    >
    > Mitel's 3300 VOIP system is way cool and blows the competition away.

    I think you need to take a good look at the competition. After, you can
    edit your above statement to:
    "Mitel's 3300 VOIP system blows."

    > In article <4QXjc.33621$Gd3.7629629@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> "John"
    > <jbrtel@optonline.net> writes:
    >
    > >Perfect application for 1A2 and it still works if the power goes out.
    Free
    > >music on hold as the interrupter goes Ka-Chunk Ka-Chunk. I've still
    gotta
    > >couple of them out there horse farms and such. I didn't mind the guy
    selling
    > >the sx-200 it was the misrepresentation of its age that bothered me. I'm
    > >sure you didn't tell the guy at the boat yard that the 551 was brand new
    and
    > >state of the art and walk away with brand new system money in your
    pocket.
    > >Are you in Iowa, what systems do you do other than Mitel?

  17. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <Nktkc.3276$Wy3.454@news01.roc.ny> "Nortec in MN"
    <Nortel@Frontier-deletethistoreply-Net.net> writes:

    >I think you need to take a good look at the competition. After, you can
    >edit your above statement to:
    >"Mitel's 3300 VOIP system blows."

    Granted, I haven't seen all the competing products, but I have seen both
    the Cisco Call Manager and their Call Manager Express, actual systems in
    service and working, not the spiffy "lab queens" set up in Cisco's
    show-n-tell customer seminars. I have also talked to the techs who
    installed and maintain the stuff. Funny how much different of a picture
    they paint than the rosy picture painted by the sales bunch.

    The best I can think of to describe the Cisco offering in a real world
    setting is to say it's a general hodge-podge of applications and adjunct
    devices all hanging off the network and managed by a cluster of Intel
    based servers running an assortment of ->CISCO PROPRIETARY<- versions of
    Microsoft products (SQL, Win2K Server, MS Exchange, etc). The real beauty
    is that the whole shootin' match of course comes with Cisco's standard
    90-day warranty, after which everything must be put on a Smartnet contract
    else you get no support. Imagine that, no support beyond 90 days unless
    you agree to be held hostage and pay a recurring ransom. You can't even
    (legally) download the latest IOS bugswats (past 90 days) unless you
    either pay for the new IOS or pay for Smartnet. The cost of a basic IOS
    used to be pretty reasonable, but it seems now that Cisco has plugged that
    hole, making the cost of an IOS upgrade nearly equal that of the cost of a
    smartnet contract. The obvious question that comes to mind is, "how many
    more times do I have to keep paying for this?"

    Go into a site with only a basic 2600 router and you'll find yourself
    having to replace that router and possibly even add another one. You'll
    also need some additional flash and Dram.

    Ask Cisco if they can emulate a key system with a "common ringer" for
    multiple incoming lines to all ring the same bell (i.e., a set of Dan-Mac
    barn bells or a Claxon buzzer or a yard whistle) and look at the blank
    stares on their faces. Need a pc/laptop based soft phone? If you do you'll
    need their centralized Call Manager product because you sure can't do it
    with CME.

    Mitel at least gives you a full 1-year warranty on their hardware and you
    get lifetime free software upgrades. The Mitel (3300) also includes
    built-in voice mail and supports legacy TDM devices in addition to the IP
    stuff. With the Mitel solution you will -not- need to replace your router
    or add another one. Mitel is also -not- based on any Windows/Intel
    platforms.

    VOIP (in general) may be viable in *new* small & medium sized office
    installations, but IMO for forklift replacement of existing TDM systems or
    going into a large enterprise (corporate office) setting, you're going to
    find yourself pouring cubic dollars into it, no matter whose system you
    buy. IP phones also require power, either via a local wall wart or from a
    power-insertion device in the switch in the wiring closet. That can be a
    problem all its own in harsh environments. I know several places where I
    have phones today where there is no AC power nearby.

    You might have yourself bamboozled into believing you're going to save
    money on future MACs, but for every dollar you save on MACs you're likely
    to find yourself spending 2 dollars on VOIP system maintenance/support.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    Wow... a Sales pitch on Usenet.... touting the values of 40 Year old
    TDM features. Can it do a party line too?

    Its a whole new world. Your arguments read like a Mitel sales guy
    trying to throw out any negative thing he has ever read about VOIP in
    general, and Cisco in particular. That blank stare you talked about
    will be them working to suppress laughter imagining you trying to figure
    out how to work a 40 year old solution to a 40 year old requirement,
    into a modern system.

    Perhaps the solution to these requirements, can be met in whole new ways?

    Mitel Lurker wrote:
> [...]
    > platforms.
    >
    > VOIP (in general) may be viable in *new* small & medium sized office
    > installations, but IMO for forklift replacement of existing TDM systems or
    > going into a large enterprise (corporate office) setting, you're going to
    > find yourself pouring cubic dollars into it, no matter whose system you
    > buy. IP phones also require power, either via a local wall wart or from a
    > power-insertion device in the switch in the wiring closet. That can be a
    > problem all its own in harsh environments. I know several places where I
    > have phones today where there is no AC power nearby.
    >
    > You might have yourself bamboozled into believing you're going to save
    > money on future MACs, but for every dollar you save on MACs you're likely
    > to find yourself spending 2 dollars on VOIP system maintenance/support.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    I think Mitel has done an excellent job with the 3300. Even the new SX200
    ICP, NICE! Mitel has come a long way in the last 4 years. Looking at the
    sales of IP-PBX's (i.e. 3300 from Mitel, Succession 3.0 from Nortel, and
    whatever AVAYA offers) Mitel has done well. They have 11 percent of the
    market share, with Nortel @ 15% and good old AVAYA sitting at 9%. Looking
    at these facts, it's easy to see Mitel knows what they are doing.

    You know, dealing with Mitel technical support and engineering, it's nice to
    see they truly follow their motto... "It's about you!" Mitel really does
    take customer suggestions and implement them into their product. Today you
    will find it hard find a product that is as customizable as a Mitel.

    And "NO!" I don't work for Mitel or a Mitel dealer.

    Take care,
    Neil

    Ps. Wow Cisco has 34% of the market share. . . Why? (I'm being smart!)

    "Nortec in MN" <Nortel@Frontier-deletethistoreply-Net.net> wrote in message

    > "Mitel Lurker" <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote in message
    > > I'm in Texas. Used to be from Iowa, and still go back for visits now and
    > > then. It was during one of those visits that the old friend prevailed
    upon
    > > me to set him up with something dirt cheap but reliable. I basically
    > > contributed my labor. He contributed the beer and gave me $300 for the
    > > KSU, phones, cabling, spares, etc. He & his kid pulled the cables
    through
    > > the ceiling, I punched them down, ran a couple dozen jumbers and made
    the
    > > sign of the cross with my foot when we fired it all up. Ooops, forgot
    they
    > > were 2565's; can't bridge 'em without pulling the violets off... ;)
    > >
    > > Today I am employed by a major energy company. Much to the chegrin of
    > > local area service shops, we are COAM and do it all ourselves, from
    power
    > > & grounding & startup commissioning to advanced ARS. Counting me there
    are
    > > 4 of us on staff all with Mitel certs through LW32 rls 2 and MN3300 rls
    > > 4.1, including Ops Man, ACD-2000, ISDN PRI and oh yeah, Speak@Ease. At
    one
    > > time we were (may still be) one of Mitel's largest "all DC powered"
    > > customers (except for the new MN3300 stuff). We've been a Mitel customer
    > > (and COAM) since 1985. For diversity, I also have a 300-seat Etrali
    > > Etradeal turret system networked (ETSI Q.sig) to the Mitel. It's
    enhanced
    > > Q.sig over 4 E1 Pri's including the usual CLI/CNI plus CFwd BZ/NA reason
    > > codes, MWI set/clear & transparent integration to a pair of networked
    > > Octel Overture 250's.
    > >
    > > Mitel's 3300 VOIP system is way cool and blows the competition away.
    >
    > I think you need to take a good look at the competition. After, you can
    > edit your above statement to:
    > "Mitel's 3300 VOIP system blows."
    >

    > > In article <4QXjc.33621$Gd3.7629629@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> "John"
    > > <jbrtel@optonline.net> writes:
    > >
    > > >Perfect application for 1A2 and it still works if the power goes out.
    > Free
    > > >music on hold as the interrupter goes Ka-Chunk Ka-Chunk. I've still
    > gotta
    > > >couple of them out there horse farms and such. I didn't mind the guy
    > selling
    > > >the sx-200 it was the misrepresentation of its age that bothered me.
    I'm
    > > >sure you didn't tell the guy at the boat yard that the 551 was brand
    new
    > and
    > > >state of the art and walk away with brand new system money in your
    > pocket.
    > > >Are you in Iowa, what systems do you do other than Mitel?

  20. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <gNudnaIPNK9vIw7dRVn-iQ@comcast.com> Dan Hanson
    <dannyhanson@comcast.net> writes:

    >Wow... a Sales pitch on Usenet.... touting the values of 40 Year old
    >TDM features. Can it do a party line too?

    >Its a whole new world. Your arguments read like a Mitel sales guy
    >trying to throw out any negative thing he has ever read about VOIP in
    >general, and Cisco in particular. That blank stare you talked about
    >will be them working to suppress laughter imagining you trying to figure
    >out how to work a 40 year old solution to a 40 year old requirement,
    >into a modern system.

    Just one problem with your analogy. The sales droids are trying to push
    customers' management in the direction of a total IP solution because
    that's the only arena where their product can fully compete. The fallacy
    in this is that the **END USERS** fundamentally want exactly what they
    already have. New bells and whistles will be embraced only if they come
    **IN ADDITION TO** present functionality. If it's a key system with
    stn-to-stn intercom and an overhead paging system and a multiline common
    ringer today, whatever you plan to replace it with better have that exact
    same functionality or the END USER is going to criticize it and complain.
    Most users couldn't care less if his phone is an "internet appliance" - he
    just wants it to work the way it did before you replaced it.

    This is why I say "new installations" in new facilities are prime
    candidates for VOIP. Existing sites simply needing to replace aging phone
    systems are going to be a tough client unless you can give 'em what they
    have now in addition to whatever else your new gizmo brings to the table.

    Saving money on MACS is important, but the phones have still got to be
    able to do what the ones did that you're replacing them with. Until you
    can achieve that, you will be losing sales to those vendors whose systems
    can do it.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    Also, I have run into customers who don't want to put their eggs in one
    basket. Questions I have been asked: If the network goes down does the phone
    system also? If my data needs increase does it affect my voice? Can someone
    hack my voice capabilities through my network? What if I get a virus?
    Needless to say all these customers stayed with legacy solutions also due to
    the fact they would be giving up features they are accustomed to by going
    Voip.

    > In article <gNudnaIPNK9vIw7dRVn-iQ@comcast.com> Dan Hanson
    > <dannyhanson@comcast.net> writes:
    >
    > >Wow... a Sales pitch on Usenet.... touting the values of 40 Year old
    > >TDM features. Can it do a party line too?
    >
    > >Its a whole new world. Your arguments read like a Mitel sales guy
    > >trying to throw out any negative thing he has ever read about VOIP in
    > >general, and Cisco in particular. That blank stare you talked about
    > >will be them working to suppress laughter imagining you trying to figure
    > >out how to work a 40 year old solution to a 40 year old requirement,
    > >into a modern system.
    >
    > Just one problem with your analogy. The sales droids are trying to push
    > customers' management in the direction of a total IP solution because
    > that's the only arena where their product can fully compete. The fallacy
    > in this is that the **END USERS** fundamentally want exactly what they
    > already have. New bells and whistles will be embraced only if they come
    > **IN ADDITION TO** present functionality. If it's a key system with
    > stn-to-stn intercom and an overhead paging system and a multiline common
    > ringer today, whatever you plan to replace it with better have that exact
    > same functionality or the END USER is going to criticize it and complain.
    > Most users couldn't care less if his phone is an "internet appliance" - he
    > just wants it to work the way it did before you replaced it.
    >
    > This is why I say "new installations" in new facilities are prime
    > candidates for VOIP. Existing sites simply needing to replace aging phone
    > systems are going to be a tough client unless you can give 'em what they
    > have now in addition to whatever else your new gizmo brings to the table.
    >
    > Saving money on MACS is important, but the phones have still got to be
    > able to do what the ones did that you're replacing them with. Until you
    > can achieve that, you will be losing sales to those vendors whose systems
    > can do it.

  22. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.sys.nortel (More info?)

    In article <eHxlc.15267$ph.4640@fed1read07> "Arcaidy"
    <Arcaidy@mailcity.commmm> writes:

    > I am interested to hear about the Mitel product though. What type of costs
    >are you looking at for a 100 user set up with voice mail and 2 PRI's?

    Here's a LINK to the 100-user "3300" setup

    http://www.mitel.com/DocController?documentId=9556&c=9511&sc=9514

    and here's the data sheet

    http://www.mitel.com/resources/data_3340_apr22.pdf

    but the package only gives you analog central office trunks and IP network
    trunks. Dual PRI is supported, but would be extra. LIST PRICE for the 100
    user 3340 is $5500 including the software. The Universal ASU lists for
    $2500. Nobody I know pays list, it's just a starting point. If you're a
    dealer you know what the markups are. Voice mail licenses are $20 each
    (list) and IP phone licenses are $90 each (also list).

vpn VoIP Networking