Sign in with
Your question

Whats a good temp for my CPU?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 30, 2006 9:49:46 PM

I have an Athlon FX60. Whats a good temp for it? Right now it idles at 45C.

More about : whats good temp cpu

March 30, 2006 10:07:21 PM

45 at idle seems a bit high IMO.

What does it go up to under load?
March 31, 2006 4:47:36 AM

It actually stays the same. I use PC Probe. Been playing Oblivion with everything on high and it says it stays at 45C. Thats good under that much load (IMO).
Related resources
March 31, 2006 2:04:14 PM

That gif is hilarious
a c 100 à CPUs
March 31, 2006 2:09:55 PM

That's pretty high. My 4200+ runs at 45 C at full load on both cores (running an instance of Folding @ Home on each core.) When it idles at 1GHz, the temp is about 25-27 C. This is at stock speeds with the stock HSF in a mid-tower ATX case with 1 80mm fan in the front and one 120mm fan in the rear, and 2 HDDs, 2 optical drives, and one low-power GPU in there. Your FX-60 should idle a degree or three higher than mine as it has a higher TDP, but it should be close.

You should check your airflow and also how much thermal compound did you put on if you put any on? If you used the stock heatsink, there is already the right amount of compound on the bottom of the sink. The stock HSF setup is plenty good and more than enough if you do not overclock. If you are OCing that chip, then you need to look at better cooling or quit the overclock before you turn that $1000+ CPU into a molten chunk of glass.
March 31, 2006 2:21:25 PM

Quote:
It actually stays the same. I use PC Probe. Been playing Oblivion with everything on high and it says it stays at 45C. Thats good under that much load (IMO).

As long as it is around 50C and lower you should be fine. I believe AMD processors can handle as high as 60-70C limit, of course, that would shorten the life of the processor.

So if you are under 50C all of the time, you should be in good shape. The lower the better, of course, though. Especially if you want to overclock.
March 31, 2006 2:23:02 PM

Quote:
I have an Athlon FX60. Whats a good temp for it? Right now it idles at 45C.

Perfectly normal because CPU temp depend of what's running in the case, what kind of case, case venting, ambient temperature,... all that we don't know, so we cannot answer.

but 45 is nothing serious. if you end up seeing 65 under load, then you could start to wory, but only if you have instability because you have no means to know if the sensor is accurate anyway...

So I would say forget about it and enjoy if there is no other problems..
March 31, 2006 3:17:05 PM

No i didnt OC and it used the heatsink that came with the CPU (yes it had the thermal compound preapplied to the botton of it.

I was thinking about taking it off, cleaning it and putting some Artic Silver 5 on it. But since the temp isnt going above 45C im not too terribly worried about it. But maybe someday I will be bored, get a hair up my ass and do it.
March 31, 2006 5:07:12 PM

Quote:
No i didnt OC and it used the heatsink that came with the CPU (yes it had the thermal compound preapplied to the botton of it.

I was thinking about taking it off, cleaning it and putting some Artic Silver 5 on it. But since the temp isnt going above 45C im not too terribly worried about it. But maybe someday I will be bored, get a hair up my ass and do it.

I don't know about you, but when I get bored, I have better thing to do than messing with the HSF and thermal past.... especially with summer on its way here...
March 31, 2006 5:59:31 PM

My P4 stays under 60c. (no fan alarm)
It's already overclocked.
When I superclock from 2.8 to 3.6, then it really gets hot.
At least it never crashes with moderate OCs.
March 31, 2006 6:01:07 PM

:? Like rub one off? 8O
March 31, 2006 7:20:15 PM

Quote:
:? Like rub one off? 8O

Especially with sun lotion...
!