May be retarded, but SATAII or IDE

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Sorry if it is a stupid question, but i currently have a 120GB IDE and another 60GB IDE drive. Anyway, I will be building a new system in Aug and want to know if it is worth it to sell my current HD's and buy new SATAII ones ($$$). I understand they are faster but will i really notice anything as far as gaming goes on my system? Thanks

dhlucke

Polypheme
The thing you'll really notice is less clutter due to the cables.

I kept my old drives. Slowly but surely I filtered them into other computers and now I've got 3 SATA drives and only 1 ATA100 drive left.

Now if you're talking about going to a raptor that's something different.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
You will notice a difference on things such as bootup and opening up applications. Games are affected by it as well but there are some that don't see any real benefit.

What I do is buy enclosures for my old hard drives and just run them as backup drives or strictly for storage. I don't like to clutter up the inside of my cases with extras I don't really need and it also helps with airflow and heat reduction as well.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Luminaris summed it up nicely. However the main reason right now to buy SATA(1 or 2) drives as another poster pointed out is the vast reduction of cable clutter. SATA cables are tiny compared to IDE cables. (7 pins)