Sign in with
Your question

FRAPS performance.

Last response: in Video Games
May 29, 2005 4:29:00 PM

Hi,

Not to sure if this is the correct forum for this type of question but since FRAPS is used by THG in their benchmarking I should have some luck.

Anyways here goes I have tried running FRAPS on my machine for benchmarking and gameing activities and just end up with chop chop and more chop. Question is what am I doing wrong?

System specs:
P4(Northwood)3.00
1024mb DDR500
Abit IC7-G
SB Audigy(1)
Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
2 10k 36gig WD Raptors

Software environment:
4xAA 8xAF enabled
V-sync enabled
AA and AF optimizations enabled
Norton Antivirus
Microsoft AntiSpyware

I am not sure if any other information will be needed but I am sure someone will tell me, thank you in advance.

-Jeremy Dach

More about : fraps performance

May 29, 2005 6:46:14 PM

When they use them for benchmarking, they aren't <i>recording movies</i>.

They are doing the framerate records. They use recorded "demos", and then just have FRAPS take samples of the framerate every second, or so.

Should be working quite excellent on that system. Are you using the latest version? Something like 2.5.5?

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser
May 30, 2005 2:33:12 AM

Well thats what I want to do is record videos of PVP battles in WoW but it takes my machines to its knees. Need to know what I am doing wrong.

-Jeremy Dach
Related resources
May 30, 2005 1:56:42 PM

All i know is that the file size made with fraps is absolutely giganticized. WHat i would like to know is how to make the videos made with fraps smaller.
Sorry i cant help you with your problem. I sympathize.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger
June 8, 2005 7:23:14 PM

Fraps can't record compressed video.

Only way to reduce video size is compressing the uncompressed videos after recording (using XviD codec + Virtualdub, for example)

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>
!