Installed Service Pack 2 - All I get is a desktop picture

AndyG

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi -

I have tried twice now and both times I have received the same problem.

I install Service Pack 2 and upon restart windows shows my desktop but then
hides all icons, does not display the taskbar and I cannot access any part of
the system.

I would love to install Service Pack 2, but am at a loss as to why I am
having these problems.

Oh and as a side note, once I removed SP2 the first time I now have an
unknown device in network adaptors.

System information

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1
Norton AntiVirus 2004

Computer: AMD Athon 64 FX53
2 Gb Ram
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb Graphics
2 x 74 Gb Raptor Drives

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide

Andy

Right click on desktop choose arrange icons by then
choose show desktop icons.

AndyG

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi anonymous and thanks for the reply.

Maybe I need to be more specific.

Once SP2 was installed the system rebooted. It asked about setting up
automatic updates and then launched into XP. My desktop icons appeared (at
first) along with the taskbar. They then immediately disappear and no amount
of clicking will bring anything to the forefront.

I cannot access the task manager, I cannot access the start menu. I cannot
access a thing. It is not that the icons are just hidden. It is just that XP
seems to hang on boot up (even though the desktop did appear).

This is not just a "display issue". Definitely something more. Was wondering
if it had anything to do with being a 64 bit processor? Right now I am
reaching for straws.

Thanks

Andy

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Right click on desktop choose arrange icons by then
> choose show desktop icons.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

What do you mean by 'wonder if it has anything to do with a 64 bit processor'?
"AndyG" <AndyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi anonymous and thanks for the reply.
>
> Maybe I need to be more specific.
>
> Once SP2 was installed the system rebooted. It asked about setting up
> automatic updates and then launched into XP. My desktop icons appeared (at
> first) along with the taskbar. They then immediately disappear and no amount
> of clicking will bring anything to the forefront.
>
> I cannot access the task manager, I cannot access the start menu. I cannot
> access a thing. It is not that the icons are just hidden. It is just that XP
> seems to hang on boot up (even though the desktop did appear).
>
> This is not just a "display issue". Definitely something more. Was wondering
> if it had anything to do with being a 64 bit processor? Right now I am
> reaching for straws.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy
>
> "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:
>
>> Right click on desktop choose arrange icons by then
>> choose show desktop icons.

AndyG

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi -

I read somewhere about the new Intel processor causing some problems. Like I
said, jsut grasping at straws.

"Unknown" wrote:

> What do you mean by 'wonder if it has anything to do with a 64 bit processor'?
> "AndyG" <AndyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi anonymous and thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Maybe I need to be more specific.
> >
> > Once SP2 was installed the system rebooted. It asked about setting up
> > automatic updates and then launched into XP. My desktop icons appeared (at
> > first) along with the taskbar. They then immediately disappear and no amount
> > of clicking will bring anything to the forefront.
> >
> > I cannot access the task manager, I cannot access the start menu. I cannot
> > access a thing. It is not that the icons are just hidden. It is just that XP
> > seems to hang on boot up (even though the desktop did appear).
> >
> > This is not just a "display issue". Definitely something more. Was wondering
> > if it had anything to do with being a 64 bit processor? Right now I am
> > reaching for straws.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:
> >
> >> Right click on desktop choose arrange icons by then
> >> choose show desktop icons.

AndyG

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK -

So I have uninstalled Service Pack 2. I wanted to install it but after two
failed attempts had to remove it so I could continue working0.

Both times it seems to install fine and then when I get into windows all I
get is the desktop picture. I cannot click on the desktop, cannot access any
part of the computer. Extremely odd!

So I unistalled from the add/remove programs but it seems there are bits and
pieces left behind. In the Control Panel there are still icons for;

Security Center ( Just displays settings for automatic updates)

Windows Firewall ( message appears, Due to an unidentified problem, Windows
cannot display Firewall settings)

Wireless Network Setup Wizard (RUNDLL error - Error in wzcdlg.dll Missing
entry: FlashConfigCreateNetwork)

Now, here is the new rub!

When windows starts now it takes forever to get past the welcome to windows
xp screen. I loaded the Event Viewer and noticed several errors.

Source: DCOM Type: Error Event ID: 10005

DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the
service ImapiService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E}

We get two of those.

Source: Service Control Manager Type: Error Event ID: 7022
The DCOM Server Process Launcher service hung on starting.

Source: Service Control Manager Type: ERROR Event ID: 7000

The Security Center service failed to start due to the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not
implement the service.

Source: Service Control Manager Type: ERROR Event ID: 7026

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
FltMgr

So, does anyone have any ideas.

here is the system info again:

System information

> Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1
> Norton AntiVirus 2004

> Computer: AMD Athon 64 FX53
> 2 Gb Ram
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb Graphics