Upgrading RAM

backatu

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hi, I was looking to upgrade my RAM from 1GB to 2GB. I'm interested in finding out how much the performance increase would be or should i be saving a little more money and upgrade the video card instead? I'm hoping that the ram increase would give better gaming performance

My specs
AMD 64 3200+
ASUS A8V Deluxe
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro
OCZ 1 GB Dual Channel Premier Series
Maxtor 160 GB SATA
Antec Sonata

Thanks in advance

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
right now your video card is the bottleneck to gaming performance... only in BF2 etc do you want 2GB RAM, and even then, it only speeds up map loading and game performance on high quality settings. I say invest it in a better video card. 1GB RAM should handle the games just fine if you play em in med 800x600 or low 1024x800

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
IMO the a graphics card upgrade would get you more gaming increase than memory. Not many games need more than one Gig.

What type of games are you playing? and resolution/quality?

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Upgrading the RAM will give you some improvement in gaming but not much, it will give you bigger improvement on your overall system.

Upgrading the video card, provided it is a big enough jump from your current card, you will see major improvements.

On the other hand, if you play network games with your friends and most of the time you are acting as the server, upgrading both the RAM and video card will do you good.

backatu

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Im' planning to play Oblivion, COD2, BF2, and NFS:MW etc. on 1024 x 786 resolution. I basically just want ot play these games on near high or high qualities wihtout lag.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Im' planning to play Oblivion, COD2, BF2, and NFS:MW etc. on 1024 x 786 resolution. I basically just want ot play these games on near high or high qualities wihtout lag.

Upgrading the video card would be the way to go for ya........Just make sure its a big enough leap forward comapring to what you have now!!!!

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hi, I was looking to upgrade my RAM from 1GB to 2GB. I'm interested in finding out how much the performance increase would be or should i be saving a little more money and upgrade the video card instead? I'm hoping that the ram increase would give better gaming performance

My specs
AMD 64 3200+
ASUS A8V Deluxe
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro
OCZ 1 GB Dual Channel Premier Series
Maxtor 160 GB SATA
Antec Sonata

Thanks in advance

I'd go for the new video card and wait a little while for the RAM. Get a good video card - it would be pointless to upgrade to an outdated card. :?

The new RAM would be nice. The video card should take priority though. Get some OCZ Platinum RAM when you make the purchase.