KMKO - they don't make airports like this anymore !

FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
it's an ideal airport for beginners !

Moke G.
9 answers Last reply
More about kmko make airports anymore

    Moke G wrote:
    > FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say
    > that it's an ideal airport for beginners !

    Just stay on the runway and you're ok (I taxied over the edge to test it,
    and you do drop to the bottom). d:->))

    This may take the prize for weirdness - we've had runways on high plateaus,
    runways at the bottom of canyons, runways half covered with dirt, runways
    you sink into, but I don't remember a hanging runway.

    www.cox-internet.com/tazman/kmko.jpg

    "CRaSH"
    > but I don't remember a hanging runway.
    > www.cox-internet.com/tazman/kmko.jpg

    Silly, that's navy's new aircraft carrier landing training school.

    Dallas

    Moke G wrote:
    > FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
    > it's an ideal airport for beginners !
    >

    > Moke G.

    What State would that be in?

    mike wheelock wrote:

    > What State would that be in?

    That be in OK, SE end - not too far from me in NW AR... Apparently this
    part of the country is blessed with these wonders. like Stockton Canyon in
    MO, and I fergit the one down in souther AR, almost about as
    wonderous.......... [spit] d:->))

    Moke G wrote:
    > FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
    > it's an ideal airport for beginners !

    I'm confused. I went there expecting something spectacular and what I
    get is an ordinary airport. No hanging, floating or quiucksand runways.
    I took off and landed just fine. Terrain all around is level. Don't
    have any addons in that neck of the woods, either.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
    > get is an ordinary airport. No hanging, floating or quiucksand
    > runways. I took off and landed just fine.

    Using FS-9, coming in for runway 13, did the airport layout look identical

    www.cox-internet.com/tazman/kmko.jpg

    if not, I'm confused too.......

    In article <a83ve.1822$Qo.324@fed1read01>, sorry@aint-here.spam.com
    says...
    > The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
    > > get is an ordinary airport. No hanging, floating or quiucksand
    > > runways. I took off and landed just fine.
    >
    > Using FS-9, coming in for runway 13, did the airport layout look identical
    >
    > www.cox-internet.com/tazman/kmko.jpg
    >
    > if not, I'm confused too.......

    That's what it looks like to me. Neat!

    /Chris T

    Is that a display error or is that for real?

    Mike C
    "Moke G" <moke@gibboni.greatxscape .net> wrote in message
    > FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
    > it's an ideal airport for beginners !
    >

    > Moke G.

    Man, that is pretty wild if it is true.

    Here is another one that has WOW effect: the Lukla, Nepal (VNLK) (over 9000
    feet elevation)site is something! You can easily get a J3 cub out of there
    but coming back in presents real trouble. Not because of the
    runway length (1616 feet) but the variable X-wind issues! I found the best
    plane was actually the Mooney. If you lighten the load, you can run the
    approach numbers considerably below book values and the low wing arrangement
    makes the landing doable. The additional power at 9000 feet ain't bad
    either!

    Now, if you want to do something really ridiculous but amazingly workable,
    place a 737-400 jet at the location, ask all the passengers to disembark,
    unload all baggage, dump all fuel except about 35% of it. This puts you at
    about 87,000 pounds (out of 150,000 pounds gross weight) Tell the
    passengers that a series of bush planes will be picking them up within a day
    or two :)

    Taxi the plane to a point well behind the beginning of the official air
    strip. Assume the rains have been little this season so the sod is hard as
    concrete and supports the jet (ha ha!) Set 10 degrees of flaps and 5degrees
    nose up trim. Full power and the plane will lift off easily at just 100-110
    knots....way below book value and easily before the end the runaway and
    cliff face. Fly out of the spectacular valley and get to about FL 270 to
    clear the mountains.

    Radio for a dispatch of bush planes to pick up the passengers (do you think
    you might be in trouble over this?)

    Since you have little fuel, go to Tribhuvan International (VNKT) about 50
    miles away. You then can tell the folks there that a 737 makes a pretty
    darned good bush plane with the right load configuration! Have fun!

    Mike C

    "Moke G" <moke@gibboni.greatxscape .net> wrote in message
    > FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
    > it's an ideal airport for beginners !
    >

    > Moke G.

Games Microsoft Video Games