KMKO - they don't make airports like this anymore !

Last response: in Video Games
June 20, 2005 11:20:12 PM

FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
it's an ideal airport for beginners !

Moke G.
June 20, 2005 11:20:13 PM

Moke G wrote:
> FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say
> that it's an ideal airport for beginners !

Just stay on the runway and you're ok (I taxied over the edge to test it,
and you do drop to the bottom). d:->))

This may take the prize for weirdness - we've had runways on high plateaus,
runways at the bottom of canyons, runways half covered with dirt, runways
you sink into, but I don't remember a hanging runway.

www.cox-internet.com/tazman/kmko.jpg
June 21, 2005 12:01:53 AM

"CRaSH"
> but I don't remember a hanging runway.
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/kmko.jpg

Silly, that's navy's new aircraft carrier landing training school.

Dallas
June 21, 2005 4:50:36 AM

Moke G wrote:
> FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
> it's an ideal airport for beginners !
>

> Moke G.

What State would that be in?
June 21, 2005 4:50:37 AM

mike wheelock wrote:

> What State would that be in?

That be in OK, SE end - not too far from me in NW AR... Apparently this
part of the country is blessed with these wonders. like Stockton Canyon in
MO, and I fergit the one down in souther AR, almost about as
wonderous.......... [spit] d:->))
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:02:40 AM

Moke G wrote:
> FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
> it's an ideal airport for beginners !

I'm confused. I went there expecting something spectacular and what I
get is an ordinary airport. No hanging, floating or quiucksand runways.
I took off and landed just fine. Terrain all around is level. Don't
have any addons in that neck of the woods, either.

John

June 25, 2005 1:16:41 AM

The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
> get is an ordinary airport. No hanging, floating or quiucksand
> runways. I took off and landed just fine.

Using FS-9, coming in for runway 13, did the airport layout look identical

www.cox-internet.com/tazman/kmko.jpg

if not, I'm confused too.......
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:26:04 AM

In article <a83ve.1822$Qo.324@fed1read01>, sorry@aint-here.spam.com
says...
> The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
> > get is an ordinary airport. No hanging, floating or quiucksand
> > runways. I took off and landed just fine.
>
> Using FS-9, coming in for runway 13, did the airport layout look identical
>
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/kmko.jpg
>
> if not, I'm confused too.......

That's what it looks like to me. Neat!

/Chris T
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:39:40 PM

Is that a display error or is that for real?

Mike C
"Moke G" <moke@gibboni.greatxscape .net> wrote in message
> FS2004 - try landing at Davis airport (KMKO). I wouldn't exactly say that
> it's an ideal airport for beginners !
>

> Moke G.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:46:54 PM

Man, that is pretty wild if it is true.

Here is another one that has WOW effect: the Lukla, Nepal (VNLK) (over 9000
feet elevation)site is something! You can easily get a J3 cub out of there
but coming back in presents real trouble. Not because of the
runway length (1616 feet) but the variable X-wind issues! I found the best
plane was actually the Mooney. If you lighten the load, you can run the
approach numbers considerably below book values and the low wing arrangement
makes the landing doable. The additional power at 9000 feet ain't bad
either!

Now, if you want to do something really ridiculous but amazingly workable,
place a 737-400 jet at the location, ask all the passengers to disembark,
unload all baggage, dump all fuel except about 35% of it. This puts you at
about 87,000 pounds (out of 150,000 pounds gross weight) Tell the
passengers that a series of bush planes will be picking them up within a day
or two :)

Taxi the plane to a point well behind the beginning of the official air
strip. Assume the rains have been little this season so the sod is hard as
concrete and supports the jet (ha ha!) Set 10 degrees of flaps and 5degrees
nose up trim. Full power and the plane will lift off easily at just 100-110
knots....way below book value and easily before the end the runaway and
cliff face. Fly out of the spectacular valley and get to about FL 270 to
clear the mountains.

Radio for a dispatch of bush planes to pick up the passengers (do you think
you might be in trouble over this?)

Since you have little fuel, go to Tribhuvan International (VNKT) about 50
miles away. You then can tell the folks there that a 737 makes a pretty
darned good bush plane with the right load configuration! Have fun!

!