HP 7760 fails to install

I am the owner of a new 7760 and it refuses to install. I have dealt
with the totally inept support techs and one tech from the Advanced
Support Group. He tried diligently, but finally hung up saying I had a
registry problem. Meanwhile the printer sits useless. I have since run
a registry cleanup utility, but the result is the same.

When I run the setup.exe item it tells me it has found a previous
version so automatically launches its uninstall routine. This fails
with a message saying it is removing unnecessary items to do with the
Mass Storage Device and everything just quits. I am unable to proceed.

Earlier, I bought a newer PCI card with more modern USB support, but it
did not help the situation.

I am 99% ready to return the printer for credit - if I can.

Ted

--
testing signature:
scherbe6

You indicated that you have tried to run the setup.exe file. Will the
installation CD not autostart? If I recall correctly, HP printers must have
the software installed first before connecting the printer to the computer.
If this is so, is this what you are doing? Have you gone to Add/Remove
Programs and deleted any HP software found there? If this does not help,
call HP again and insist they help you with the so-called "registry
problem".

Also, take a look at that PCI card you installed. Did you get the latest XP
drivers for it? Is it shown as all OK in Device Manager?