Johnny

Have bought a Canon pi 3000. Was told that the reason my Epson lasted such a
short time was that I was using non-oem ink. Is this going to be the same
with my Canon? Is there non a chemically identical non-oem ink that I could
use to refill the tanks without causing the printer any damage?
Thanks,
Johnny

It is always taking a chance. I own a Canon IP4000 and plan on using
only Canon ink. I mostly us Canon Photo Paper Pro but I may try Ilford.
I also heard that Costco Kirkland paper is Ilford and much cheaper.

Canon makes the ink a certain way and their paper to match their ink.
Also, the chemical composition of the ink has the best chance to
eliminate print head clogs.

Johnny wrote:

>Have bought a Canon pi 3000. Was told that the reason my Epson lasted such a
>short time was that I was using non-oem ink. Is this going to be the same
>with my Canon? Is there non a chemically identical non-oem ink that I could
>use to refill the tanks without causing the printer any damage?
>Thanks,
>Johnny

How can you predict the color output of your printer if you do not have ink
of known color value? Why buy a printer for making color photos and not use
the ink the printer and software are calibrated to use?

"bmoag" <aetoo@hotmail.com> wrote in

> How can you predict the color output of your printer if you do not
> have ink of known color value?

I didn't know the color output of my printer when I began using it with
the Canon inks that came with it. Trial and error taught me its specific
quirks. I have a Canon iP5000 (awesome printer) and now use Chinese made
cartridges filled with US made Formulabs ink. A few test prints quickly
showed it very similar to Canon. Therefore no learning curve.

> Why buy a printer for making color photos and not use the ink the
> printer and software are calibrated to use?

Economics. I do a lot of printing. I can afford the printer - it's quite
affordable - but can't afford to run it on Canon inks. Canon inks will
put me in the poor house at $100 Canadian a set. Chinese (Formulabs ink)
cartridges bring the price down to about $5.50 Canadian per cartridge
instead of the $22+ tax each Canon cartridge costs here.

Ryan

Johnny

> I didn't know the color output of my printer when I began using it with
> the Canon inks that came with it. Trial and error taught me its specific
> quirks. I have a Canon iP5000 (awesome printer) and now use Chinese made
> cartridges filled with US made Formulabs ink. A few test prints quickly
> showed it very similar to Canon. Therefore no learning curve.

Can you give me a contact URL for ordering these (Incidentally, I'd rather
find a place in the UK that does them)? And can you vouch that there is no
damage to the printer?

Thanks,

"Johnny" <nomailthanx@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> I didn't know the color output of my printer when I began using it
>> with the Canon inks that came with it. Trial and error taught me its
>> specific quirks. I have a Canon iP5000 (awesome printer) and now use
>> Chinese made cartridges filled with US made Formulabs ink. A few test
>> prints quickly showed it very similar to Canon. Therefore no learning
>> curve.
>
> Can you give me a contact URL for ordering these (Incidentally, I'd
> rather find a place in the UK that does them)? And can you vouch that
> there is no damage to the printer?
>
> Thanks,

Here's the URL for the website:
http://www.discountcartridges.com.au/Shipping.htm

And the URL for their eBay sales - offers differ....
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdiscount_cartridges

No I can't vouch they won't damage the printer - no one can. There's no
proof that Canon cartridges won't damage the printer (print head
actually) either. ;-)

If I get a couple of years out of my printer using inexpensive inks then
that money saved pays for the next couple of printers. Consider that
And I do actually run two Canon printers. One for quality work (iP5000)
and the other (i860) for everyday.

I've been refilling my own using various quality bulk inks and using
various quality generic cartridges (made for the specific printer for 10
years and have yet to find any ink at fault for any printer problems.
Yes, there are variations in how dark/light they print and slight hue
differences, but have not encountered any that ruined any printer.
I master all my photos with a photo editing program anyway so don't
really care if one ink prints darker than the other or a different
hue. I control the color the final color with my editing program.

Ryan

You can go to Costco.com and buy them for around $10.00 a cartridge.

Ryan Faith wrote:
> "bmoag" <aetoo@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>>How can you predict the color output of your printer if you do not
>>have ink of known color value?
>

> I didn't know the color output of my printer when I began using it with
> the Canon inks that came with it. Trial and error taught me its specific
> quirks. I have a Canon iP5000 (awesome printer) and now use Chinese made
> cartridges filled with US made Formulabs ink. A few test prints quickly
> showed it very similar to Canon. Therefore no learning curve.
>

>>Why buy a printer for making color photos and not use the ink the
>>printer and software are calibrated to use?
>

> Economics. I do a lot of printing. I can afford the printer - it's quite
> affordable - but can't afford to run it on Canon inks. Canon inks will
> put me in the poor house at $100 Canadian a set. Chinese (Formulabs ink)
> cartridges bring the price down to about $5.50 Canadian per cartridge
> instead of the $22+ tax each Canon cartridge costs here.
>

> Ryan

You can get the genuine Canon cartridges for your printer from lankacrafts on
eBay for about AU$11 each (similar dollar value to CDN).

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.

Try Cartridge World (Oxford) on 01865 764 454. they supply compatibles that
use Formulabs inks.
Costs; BCi-3EBK £4.50 to re-fill, £5.50 new. BCi-6's are £4.00 each to
refill and £5.00 each new.
Regards
Stick
"Johnny" <nomailthanx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I didn't know the color output of my printer when I began using it with
>> the Canon inks that came with it. Trial and error taught me its specific
>> quirks. I have a Canon iP5000 (awesome printer) and now use Chinese made
>> cartridges filled with US made Formulabs ink. A few test prints quickly
>> showed it very similar to Canon. Therefore no learning curve.
>
> Can you give me a contact URL for ordering these (Incidentally, I'd rather
> find a place in the UK that does them)? And can you vouch that there is no
> damage to the printer?
>
> Thanks,
>

>> > Why buy a printer for making color photos and not use the ink the
>> > printer and software are calibrated to use?
>>
>> Economics. I do a lot of printing. I can afford the printer - it's quite
>> affordable - but can't afford to run it on Canon inks. Canon inks will
>> put me in the poor house at $100 Canadian a set. Chinese (Formulabs ink)
>> cartridges bring the price down to about $5.50 Canadian per cartridge
>> instead of the $22+ tax each Canon cartridge costs here.
>>

>> Ryan

Firstly, unless you were using some very bad inks, your Epson was
probably just clogging with the everyday kind of clogs inkjet printers
can have, and if you still have it, it may well be repairable at home
for next to nothing. Email me and ask for my Epson Cleaning Manual for
the procedure.

Secondly, yes, some 3rd party inks can reduce the life span of some
printers, but that much depends upon the ink quality used. Most ink
today is relatively good. Even safer is buying 3rd party ink cartridges
from companies that will guarantee the ink in writing, and offer to
replace/repair your printer should the ink be responsible for damaging
it. This is harder to offer if you refill your cartridges, since you
could introduce problems due to poor "sanitation".

Art