Ultraviolet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Okay firstly my spec can be found here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/opinions-proposed-sytem-ftopict178970.html

The problem is that when i first connected everything up and turned it on for the first time, after about 6 seconds it just powered itself off again. Then everytime i turned it on it would power off at different intervals throughout the boot process.

It did eventually stay online long enough for me to go into the bios and check things out and also perform a bios update. I installed my raid drivers and windows xp.

Whats happening now is that when i boot it up from cold it shuts down after about 6 seconds but it happens no more than twice now. Although when i have had it on for a while and i either shut it down or restart and power it back on, it has no problems at all.

I have gone through all the process of disconnecting everything except for the graphics card and i have also changed the fan. It just seems that when i switch it on after it hasnt been on for while, it shuts down almost straight away then after i try again it seems to be fine..

Not sure but there must be a conflict here somewhere or maybe a bios setting?

Any advice would be great.

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Make real sure the CPU heatsink is sitting on properly. And that the fan is turning fast enough. Check the heatsink with you finger.

keen5336

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
there can be a number of reasons.... all these people have great answers, something dumb that I ran into once, was my new mobo had too long of an end on the soldering of the power button... I turned it on, and 5 seconds later, it powered down... took me 3 days to figure out what was happening ;)

I think its more likely a heat sync mounting issue than the PSU personally, but a PSU problem isn't uncommon either... let us know what it is when you figure it out :)

Ultraviolet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Well the thing is that i changed the fan on the cpu to the standard one that comes with it, instead of my blue orb, and the same thing happened.

laitainion

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I had that problem before with my previous computer, to cut a long story short (no pun intended) it kept shorting out against the case, as when we layed the tower on it's side it ran perfectly, and continued to do so until we accidently knocked it with the PS/2 connector of a keyboard (the metal bit). That was when it all clicked, and removing the side-panel from behind the motherboard tray. This all being said, I would look into the PSU first. Good luck getting it fixed.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
The power button could be a cause. On the computer I have now, the button can get stuck in and shut the computer right back off after a few seconds. The thing is that i know right away when its going to happen because the button doesnt pop back out, but the botton could be bad which could be a long shot. The button could also be hooked up to the board wrong. Just some things to check if all else fails.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Okay firstly my spec can be found here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/opinions-proposed-sytem-ftopict178970.html

The problem is that when i first connected everything up and turned it on for the first time, after about 6 seconds it just powered itself off again. Then everytime i turned it on it would power off at different intervals throughout the boot process.

It did eventually stay online long enough for me to go into the bios and check things out and also perform a bios update. I installed my raid drivers and windows xp.

Whats happening now is that when i boot it up from cold it shuts down after about 6 seconds but it happens no more than twice now. Although when i have had it on for a while and i either shut it down or restart and power it back on, it has no problems at all.

I have gone through all the process of disconnecting everything except for the graphics card and i have also changed the fan. It just seems that when i switch it on after it hasnt been on for while, it shuts down almost straight away then after i try again it seems to be fine..

Not sure but there must be a conflict here somewhere or maybe a bios setting?

Any advice would be great.

Sounds like the PSU using the over volt protection or its faulty.

How many devices do you have installed on the Mobo?

What PSU are you using?

Edit: I saw the PSU you are using from your link. (My bad) and since its a 600W PSU I bet its overvolt protection.

Are you using the onboard sound card on the mobo?

Ultraviolet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

What PSU are you using?

Edit: I saw the PSU you are using from your link. (My bad) and since its a 600W PSU I bet its overvolt protection.

I havent checked the over voult protection.
Standard devices on the mobo, most which came with it.
The PSU is Seasonic 500w not 600.
Yeah im using onboard sound.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

What PSU are you using?

I havent checked the over voult protection.
Standard devices on the mobo, most which came with it.
The PSU is Seasonic 500w not 600.
Yeah im using onboard sound.

Is this a new build?

Edit: It looks like a new build so do this. Buy a cheap sound card and throw it in one of the slots.

Some PSU's have over volt protection and need to meet a minimum load or they will shutdown. Im not sure about your PSU but its worth a try.

TRENDING THREADS