chazbrazil

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI
Processor: AMD x64 X2 4200+
RAM: OCZ 2 x 1 Gb
HD: Western Digital Raptor 74 Gb
Others: EVGA Geforce 6800, DVD burner, floppy drive

My problem here is that, since I built it from scratch, I've tried to install the Windows XP operating system. Much to my displeasure, the system crashes once the install gets to the point where it begins installing driver devices (after it finishes the format/file copy and reboots using the harddrive). Any one ever had a problem like this?

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Many things can cause this. Start with the simple, move to the hard. Check your install disc, is it a copy or an actual MS? Sometimes a weak laser in the cdrom/dvdrom will cause read errors and halt an install. Switch them out, see what you get. After this, remove all hardware that isn't vital to the running of your pc for a system install, ie- modem, sound card. You basically need video, RAM (1 stick) HD, CDROM, (unless you copy the cabs), KB and a ton of patience. Make sure your CPU isn't overheating. I might add, you can also use Knoppix to troubleshoot.

chazbrazil

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Thank you for replying! My disc is original and in good condition. So far i've tried BIOS tweeking, using the raid disks during the install, swapping out hardware, and trying different hardware configurations. Some work a lil better, but all configurations eventually lockup during the install.

pat

Expert
Thank you for replying! My disc is original and in good condition. So far i've tried BIOS tweeking, using the raid disks during the install, swapping out hardware, and trying different hardware configurations. Some work a lil better, but all configurations eventually lockup during the install.

First, you only have 1 HDD, no need for RAID drivers. Use the nvidia IDE controller instead of the Sil(IIRC, the onboard added one...) controller.

The nforce IDE controller support the SATA interface natively so no drivers are requiered. Just make sure that RAID is disabled in BIOS. The nforce controller can do RAID within the PATA and SATA interface.. just make sure that this is disabled too. Check to disable RAID for each SATA connector too.

Then, boost the voltage for RAM to 2.7v. hi-speed PC3200 are not running at JEDEC standard, sor the increased voltage will stabilize thing and make your system more stable.

I always run memory at 2.7 volts on all system I built...

chazbrazil

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I was able to update to 1014.002 (the beta for 1014). When i tried updating the BIOS to 1014, it wont let me do it saying i have a checksum error.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Then, you may have a bad BIOS chip (not likely) or your update (bin) was corrupt. See if you can get the update elsewhere. Sometimes you can get from the USA or TW company. Also, use a new floppy disk if you can.

frost_fenix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006

First, you only have 1 HDD, no need for RAID drivers. Use the nvidia IDE controller instead of the Sil(IIRC, the onboard added one...) controller.

The nforce IDE controller support the SATA interface natively so no drivers are requiered. Just make sure that RAID is disabled in BIOS. The nforce controller can do RAID within the PATA and SATA interface.. just make sure that this is disabled too. Check to disable RAID for each SATA connector too.

Then, boost the voltage for RAM to 2.7v. hi-speed PC3200 are not running at JEDEC standard, sor the increased voltage will stabilize thing and make your system more stable.

i think it is a much better idea to remove a ram stick for stability before you try overclocking something. boosting voltage can help stability but it can also fry something.

i had a similar problem. if you have an original DELL cd or other 3rd party cd it probably wont work. i had that problem before.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

My problem here is that, since I built it from scratch, I've tried to install the Windows XP operating system. Much to my displeasure, the system crashes once the install gets to the point where it begins installing driver devices (after it finishes the format/file copy and reboots using the harddrive). Any one ever had a problem like this?

What Bios version?

I would flash the bios to the latest if its not currently using it.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
There are a lot of ppl coming up with solutions to hardware problems as well as bios BUT everyone here MUST have had issues with Microsh*t before... this could just be a faulty install. My advise is that before you break, fry or screw up your computer in some other spectacular fashion you take the HD out, reformat it from another computer and try the install from fresh. Give this a try... it's only time.

Cochise

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

I had a similar problem once. I recommend what someone else said about disconnecting anything non-essential. In particular my problem was caused by the case front USB/audio/firewire connections to the MOBO or possibly an all-in-one card reader w/USB having been connected prior to the OS being installed.

Good luck.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Well, if you have to do this, then somethings very wrong. Checking things as you go will help determine what is the problem.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If you look at his second post then you'll see that he has tried different hardware configurations already. This is the homebuilt forum therefore I'm assuming that everyone here has some idea of how to put a computer together and what can go wrong hardware wise. Just so you know I had a similar issue when my install failed as well, because the install was not fully successful you cannot start up from the CD and "fix" the install as it will just continue to try and complete your current one. The only thing I could do, after trying all the hardware solutions, was to format the drive over and reinstall, it look maybe 1 hour to do so.

pat

Expert

i think it is a much better idea to remove a ram stick for stability before you try overclocking something. boosting voltage can help stability but it can also fry something.

i had a similar problem. if you have an original DELL cd or other 3rd party cd it probably wont work. i had that problem before.

2.7v is not harmful for memory. 2.8 too.. Those are OCZ memory, with tight timing and sometime instability can occur if the memory voltage is not stable/powerful enough at stock setting.

Especially with bigger 1 gig stick..

Anyway. I fix 90% of instability problem related with memory with voltage set to 2.7v...

ih8makingupnames

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I would definetly try repartioning, reformating and reinstalling. Windows can be a beast.

Something else to consider is your PSU. Is is giving you enough stable power? What make and model is it? That is a pretty power hungry rig for a generic PSU.

oldsaw

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I suspect that you are the victim not of some gigantic monstor-problem but rather of some goofy little glitch. Could you describe in more detail the aspects of this "system crash" and, more exactly, just when it occurs?

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Sure, I understand why/what you did. But if there's a hardware problem, you need to find it, lest you get another corrupt Windows installation. I've run into a modem being flakey, (working on this very thing now)and it caused the same problems he's describing. Same with bad CDROM, even a mouse. If we keep suggesting ideas, we may just help him figure it out.
I think it's probable something small or the MB is suspect. Describe the crash, does it just sit there or tell you there's nothing to boot from? Does it turn off?

BletchleyPark

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I have a somewhat similar problem....

8AN-SLI motherboard
AMD 64 2x 3200+
2x1G RAM
NVIDIA PCIe (not top of the line, but close)
4x250G Hitachi SATA in Raid 5

Raptor 75G

WinXP-Pro installed just fine on the RAID array. When I added the Raptor I tried to do a re-install to get the Windows on the faster disk (partition on the RAID was too small DOH!)

Installation started, but crashed with a stop error. Now I have a multiboot system with the working system on the RAID and a (default) boot that attempts to access the raptor and ends in the same stop error.

Not much help from this quarter, but problem seems to be the Raptor, or the serial/RAID settings on the mobo for that bank of SATA ports. I'll check the BIOS settings when I get home...

chazbrazil

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
What will happen is that I'll format the drive, windows will load itself onto the harddrive, and then the thing will restart and boot from windows. Once it is in windows, the setup part will begin. At some pt in the setup procedure, the system fails.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Ok, usually that points to: RAM, HD or CDROM. Can you replace the RAM temporarily? Try using another CDROM to do the install. If you have an old HD laying around, try to install on it.