Best PSU for Dual Core Processor???

Ash

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
I've been informed by Intel that my dual core Pentium D 940 processor requires an 8-pin connector from the PSU.

What is the best PSU available to me that will supply a safe and efficient system that I can leave on 24/7 ? If it's any help I won't be doing any overclocking.

So far I have been recommended:

Enermax Liberty 620w PSU - http://www.enermax.com.tw/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=5
This is the only PSU I've seen so far that actually states: "Full support of Dual Core systems (incl. Pentium D EE and Athlon 64 X2) & Dual CPU systems."

Any other recommendations?

Ash

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
In reply to Mr5oh the system I have put togther is as follows:

Nzxt Lexa Classic Case,
Asus P5WD2 Premium Motherboard
Pentium D 940 (3.20Ghz)
2Gb (2x1Gb) Corsair TwinX Matched Pair DDR2-800 PC6400
512Mb "Goes Like Hell" 7800GT Gainward
2X 36Gb Raptor Western Digital HDD
2X 250Gb Western Digital HDD
LG 16x DVD-Writer
Hauppage Digital TV Viewer
Wi-Fi Card
Hiper 580w Type-R PSU (which is what I need to replace)

If you have any views on what is potentially wrong or incompatible with this system then let me know and what you suggest. I'd be really interested to see if you think this an odd system spec or not. The only think I'm likely to add is another DVD-Writer and memory card 7-in-1 reader.

Ash

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
No, I won't be overclocking this system at all.

I just want it to run safely and efficiently and leave it on 24/7.
Low noice would be a bonus.

Then RichPLS has given you an excellent suggestion, I have the Fortron Epsilon series 700w, its quiet and quite powerful, and meets all the requirements you need, and by the way has the 8 pin plug you need, both the 600w and the 700w do.

Good advice Rich!

Ash

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
The Fortron Epsilon range is a little difficult to get hold of in England.

And is 600w too much for me? Or should I stick to about that level for safety reasons?

RichPLS

Champion
I would say you would need at least a good quality 500 watt, and that Enermax 620 watt will do fine. It's $110 at newegg
If the Antec TruePower 550 watt is available, it is a little cheaper but just as good quality at $90.