Sign in with
Your question

Oblivion benchmark

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2006 4:14:22 PM

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/03/31/elder_scrolls...

Since there have been a bunch of questions regarding this game. I thought some might find this interesting

More about : oblivion benchmark

March 31, 2006 4:30:34 PM

Thanks!

I wish someone other than bit-tech would bench it though. I hate the way they bench using different quality settings for each card.

Interesting though, the X1900 XTX is the only card with grass shadows enabled, and it still wins.

On a side note, even runing at stock X1800 XL clocks I run oblivion at the same detail level as that 7800 GTX listed, and it runs very smoothly...
March 31, 2006 4:33:31 PM

Great find. Ive been looking for one of these
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2006 4:37:57 PM

I wonder how repeatable those results really are. What a game though; 12x10 and lows in the teens for even the best cards. ANyone want to buy a barely used evga 7800GT CO? Man I wish I had held out until now and bought a $430 X1900XT instead. 8O
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2006 6:50:18 PM

Quote:

Since there have been a bunch of questions regarding this game. I thought some might find this interesting

Thanks for the link, if I weren't so busy at work I'd check it out a little further than the scan I just gave it.

Did anyone see any mention of disabling the AI and such, because the CPU would be different for each run based on the Radiant AI. I'm still not sure what the impact is yet, my friend running on my old editing rig is never going above 60-70% on either CPU, in the runs he looked at specifically (and that's multiple NPC battles, ets).

I'm hearing some of the new dual cores are barely going above 40% on both cores.

I too prefer Apples to Apples, but Bit-tech guys are like [H] they prefer their max playable settings, and defended it in a few benchmarking threads at B3D, I think there's a place for it, but one run should be apples to apples the way [H] used to do.

I remember one review (COD2 or BF2 maybe?) where they said the X1900XT/XTX looked better than the competition because it could enable extra AA at lower resolution with higher AF, and of course this is a subjective measure, at least they mentioned that the X1K card was also able to go into the other resolution as well but looked better at that other setting. I think in that case I would've prefer the actual numbers of the equal settings, and then the subjective opinion that the one setting looks better and is a better choice. I like a combination, but without [H]'s Hystograms I just can't be as positive about the subjective 'playable' reviews.
March 31, 2006 7:38:32 PM

Sweet

But where the hell is the damn 7600 GT!!!!!

GRRR....
March 31, 2006 8:53:17 PM

I don't really find thier benchmarks to be believable to tell you the truth. I currently run Oblivion with all options maxed except face self shadows (they look weird to me), i've edited the ini file to add all the water reflections you can't do with the sliders, increased the grid load about, and just about everything else i can do to INCREASE the graphics beyond the max settings and I achieve better FPS numbers than they are listing.

My system is a AMD64 3000+
Gigabyte Ultra-SLI MB
Gigabyte 6600GT PCIe (2) in SLI mode
2gb ram
WD 7200 SATA (2) in raid 0

I generate higher numbers than they quote outside for FPS with HDR enabled and in 8x SLI AA mode. (which does work no matter what anyone says about not being able to do AA+HDR together)
March 31, 2006 9:54:55 PM

Quote:

I generate higher numbers than they quote outside for FPS with HDR enabled and in 8x SLI AA mode. (which does work no matter what anyone says about not being able to do AA+HDR together)

:roll: That's not possible dude. Take some screenshots of each mode to see.

If AA is on, OpenEXR HDR is off on Nvidia hardware.

And while you're taking those screenies, use fraps for some framerates, too!...
March 31, 2006 10:16:10 PM

Hmmm. I still have the lighting effects within the game and you can see the difference between being in SLI X8 AA mode and turning SLI AA off.
I'm not talking the AA within the game that turns off when you enable AA (the 2x 4x setting) SLI AA does indeed work with HDR enabled. not sure how it works, maybe one card handles the HDR and the other the AA.

I'll have to take some more screens with fraps going when i get home, but i have a bunch of screens posted on the offical forums of what the game looks like for me with all the details and distances cranked up in the ini. And i am not one that excepts 17fps as even remotely playable.
!