Freezing issues, clicking noise- motherboard prime suspect?

marsbarz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Hello there,

I've been encountering certain problems with my computer for quite a while now, I believe the problem originates from the motherboard but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I'm using an old Aopen AK75 motherboard with an (underclocked) AMD AthlonXP 2400+

The first peculiarity I encountered was when I first upgraded from a 1ghz tbird to the athlonXP, I tried setting the FSB to 133mhz so that I could get the correct frequency, but the computer wouldnt POST properly. I switched back to 100mhz fsb and let the thing run underclocked at 1.5ghz.

After a while some odd things began to happen, specifically when I ran anything that was processor intensive, or perhaps used up a lot of ram (even though I have ~1.3GBs of ram)- my computer would promptly power down. I thought perhaps this had to do with either the power supply or the actual electricity that was being supplied through the socket.

I tried isolating the problems, I switched rooms and I switched powersupplies, I removed one ram module after another, I ran memtest, an so on- the same problem persisted.

Now however, my computer doesn't power down, it freezes. For example I run a game which requires a good sum of resources, and halfway through I hear a click and then I believe the hard drive powers down and starts back up-- after about 15 seconds the computer freezes and the mouse doesn't move.

I replaced the hard drive and I still heard a click before the computer froze, but my original hard drive is the unit that sort of powers down and powers back up after the clicking noise-- I might try replacing the hard drive with yet another one and see if that solves the problem but I'm pretty sure the motherboard has a problem.

I'm not sure what I should do, so any help would be appreciated. If you want any more information that I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

List all of your original specs and what parts you replaced them with while troubleshooting. Are you getting any BSODs? U clean of spyware/adware? All your drivers updated and games properly patched? When was the last time you cleaned the interior of your case?

marsbarz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
The motherboard is an aopen ak75

Originally this computer started out with:
AMD T-Bird, 1ghz
256mb DDR266 ram
Geforce2 32mb videocard
There's also a 10/100 lan card, a 56k modem, and firewire card, even a soundcard even though this thing has integrated sound (all four on expansion slots)
30gb hd
330 watt powersupply

Right now it has:
AthlonXP 2400+
1256mb DDR266 ram
Radeon9250 256mb videocard
Same lan card, 56k modem, and firewire card, soundcard
Same 30gb hd
Same powersupply
===
I replaced the powersupply with another (both were 300w)
I replaced the HD from a 30gb(WD) to a 40gb(Samsung) <- I will have to try this a second time because I am formatting the 40gb and I think it will do a better job of telling me whether it's the HD that is faulty or the (I suspect) motherboard

I didn't replace the videocard
I removed the old 256mb ram module
===

I'm not getting any BSODs, I run spyware/adware checks frequently and I am clean of them, as far as game patches go, well, it wasn't just one or two games, basically anytime there was a high load on the computer- for example when I ran a game and had my browser window open and I was also listening to music, etc.

The interior isn't that dusty but I don't know if there's any specific procedure for me to go through to make sure that I've cleaned every place I'm supposed to. The last time I cleaned it was when I popped it open to try and figure out why it was freezing.

marsbarz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
It seems I was mistaken, the motherboard was not the problem, the hard drive seems to have been the culprit.

First time I've experienced to infamous "click of death" :?

Thanks to everyone anyway =]