New IDE for boot with older SATA and it doesn't...

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
The XP installation on my system was hosed (reboot cycle) and after much wringing of hands (and attempts at recovery via repair console, etc.) I buy a new HDD for it. I need the data off the old drive, and it wasn't big enough anyways, so...

Well, I screwed up the order, but it was ok (bought a PATA drive instead of SATA), and since I needed to get my system running I pulled my old SATA drive and installed XP in the PATA so I could get the job done, then worry about this issue.

So now I have a fully patched and installed XP on the PATA drive, and a hosed XP on the SATA drive.

So, I set my bios boot order to Floppy, CD, HDD0 with additional or external device boot (forget which and I'm not at the PC) enabled. I reconnect the SATA and boot. Nope, starts to boot - get the XP splash with the blue bar that goes across a couple times... and the screen goes blank and locks up.

That wasn't supposed to happen... :(

So I unplug the SATA and it boots fine. Plug the SATA unplug the IDE and it boots fine. Change the boots to HDD1, 2 or 3 with the same issues. Set the device boot to disabled and I get a no boot disk error in any configuration... Very strange says I...

So, my need is to get both drives working at the same time and get the data off the SATA drive. I really don't care how the drives end up being configured (SATA Boot, PATA boot, or whatever), though I would rather not have the boot loader on 1 drive and the OS on the other...

Anyone have any ideas? I know what I did wrong, but I'm hoping there's another way.

Mike.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Gah! Typical of me... :( Sorry.

Anyways... Athlon XP2600 on a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus v1?.0
1gig of DDR400
Radeon 9600XT
floppy
dvd burner
seagate hdds - 80gig sata, 250gig pata.
stock speeds at the moment.

Oh, realized something I said was possibly misleading: The sata drive 'booted fine' when it was attached alone meaning it booted to its reboot cycle problem...

Mike.

pat

Expert
you said it booted fine in safe mose, and with this old board, I doubt that it natively support SATA. So I guess it need drivers. When the PATA drive is connected, I guess it try anyway to boot from it (and you're thinkng it is booting from the SATA), as it is the first bootable device it found, but don't find any drivers for the SATA, so it locks. When the PATA drive is removed, it boot from it, as it is the only device with boot capability.

In BIOS, you should have an option to boot RAID/SCSI devices first or enable third party bootable devices. It should be selected as the first boot device. not HDD0. this way, it will bypass the PATA HDD and go directly to the third party controller. It will then boot from the SATA hdd and you'll be able to acces your file on the pata drive.

Is the SATA controller a Promise like the old Dragon plus?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I'm pretty sure its the promise controller. It does not natively support sata. Both drive's OSs have the SATA drivers installed however. (the SATA drive has been running for 2 yrs.)

I don't need any of the files on the PATA drive - just the SATA drive.

In BIOS, you should have an option to boot RAID/SCSI devices first or enable third party bootable devices. It should be selected as the first boot device. not HDD0. this way, it will bypass the PATA HDD and go directly to the third party controller. It will then boot from the SATA hdd and you'll be able to acces your file on the pata drive.
Except the SATA is the one with the data and the hosed OS, and the PATA is the good OS. I want to boot from the PATA drive.

Mike.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Pat: I'm not quite sure but to me it looks like this guy needs the files off the sata drive and trying to get them onto the pata drive, not the other way around.

I don't know if this will work since your mobo doesn't natively support S-ATA but normally, Sata is a plug and play type of thing. You can try booting your computer with the sata drive disconnected and then after it's booted, reconnect it. I've never tried this out myself but from my limited knowledge, it should work unless your board has some problems and such.

Please don't kill me if this doesn't work though, lol.

linux_0

Splendid
Set your BIOS to boot from CDROM.

Download the Knoppix ISO + ISOrecorder:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

+

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2RC1.msi

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/HowTo.htm

Use ISOrecorder to burn the ISO to a CDR.

Disconnect your PATA IDE drive ( s ). Make sure your SATA drive is still connected.

Boot from the CDR... Knoppix will start up and mount all your filesystems automatically.

See if it can read the filesystems on your SATA drive.

Knoppix can read windoze filesystems and can be used to recover the data if it is still readable / recoverable.

PM me for helpful commands.

pat

Expert
Except the SATA is the one with the data and the hosed OS, and the PATA is the good OS. I want to boot from the PATA drive.

Mike.

Ok.. sorry, mu mistake.. It was late ...

Well, in this case, you may need to create a 1 drive RAID array, even if not used as RAID. such older controller may require so. The Promise 376 I have on my old soltek FRN2-RL requierer that. I did it and it dont erase the DATA on it.

Which promise you have?

pat

Expert
Pat: I'm not quite sure but to me it looks like this guy needs the files off the sata drive and trying to get them onto the pata drive, not the other way around.

I don't know if this will work since your mobo doesn't natively support S-ATA but normally, Sata is a plug and play type of thing. You can try booting your computer with the sata drive disconnected and then after it's booted, reconnect it. I've never tried this out myself but from my limited knowledge, it should work unless your board has some problems and such.

Please don't kill me if this doesn't work though, lol.

Yeah, it was late and miread the post. And only newer SATAII compatible HW allow hotswap, not the old interface he has.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

Mike.

Ok.. sorry, mu mistake.. It was late ...

Well, in this case, you may need to create a 1 drive RAID array, even if not used as RAID. such older controller may require so. The Promise 376 I have on my old soltek FRN2-RL requierer that. I did it and it dont erase the DATA on it.

Which promise you have?
Why would I have to create a RAID array on a drive that's been used on this very motherboard for 2 years without having to do it before?

I checked the Soyo website for the mobo's raid controller and they say it's a Via 8237 SATA, so I guess it isn't Promise, it's Via. And the BIOS setup is for 'IDE' mode (as opposed to RAID mode).

Mike.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Thx for the links, Linux_0. Knoppix loaded and read the file system of both drives (tried each separately and then together). That would solve my problem except I don't have write capabilities that I could find. (but I didn't look real hard, so take that with a grain of salt)

I guess I could copy everything to DVDs (it would take several, but a lot less than CD's...), but if there's a way to 'log in' to the drive(s) to write to them it would be much easier.

Mike.

linux_0

Splendid
Thx for the links, Linux_0. Knoppix loaded and read the file system of both drives (tried each separately and then together). That would solve my problem except I don't have write capabilities that I could find. (but I didn't look real hard, so take that with a grain of salt)

I guess I could copy everything to DVDs (it would take several, but a lot less than CD's...), but if there's a way to 'log in' to the drive(s) to write to them it would be much easier.

Mike.

You can use SSH/SFTP/SCP, rsync ( differential backup tool ), SAMBA ( equivalent to windoze file and printer sharing ) to copy the files to another machine over the network.

You can also backup the files to DVD with K3B ( CD / DVD burner ) or you can copy them to one or more USB flash drives or an external HDD.