Sign in with
Your question

Slow down in Windows

Last response: in CPUs
March 31, 2006 6:13:58 PM

I've been having some slowdown for instance if I have AIM on and I log onto Skype, it gets slow and I can't move my mouse really and sometimes the sounds IM sounds delay. Anyone know what the problem is? It's more annoying than anything else.

I never had this problem when I had my 3000+ cpu. What gives?

More about : slow windows

April 1, 2006 3:31:18 PM

Your computer can slow down for a number of reasons, almost too many to mention. Slothfulness boils down to one of the causes listed in this section:

1) Malfunctioning hardware: The hard drive may be on its last legs, in which case it has to read and reread information because of errors. That adds overhead.

2) Corrupted programs: Most sudden slowness is caused by some corrupt program, which may be tainted on the disk or somehow become besmirched in memory. In any event, the program’s response time dwindles, which affects overall PC speed.

3) Viruses: Computer viruses can also slow things down, either by corrupting existing files or consuming resources in memory or on the hard drive, or they may just be designed to slow down your computer.

Most of the time, some corrupt program brings the computer down and
crawling on its knees. Fix or eliminate that program, and the problem goes
away. Typically, recovering speed is simply as easy as restarting Windows.

Hope this helps!
April 2, 2006 4:18:07 AM

Well my harddrive is only 1 year old and I ran my antivirus and spyware programs. But my computer makes some really soft beeping noise when I click on stuff. Like if I open my browser or click on a link.

I dunno, my main hd is kind of close to my video card. I might try to shift them down one slot to see if that helps.
Related resources
April 2, 2006 4:57:11 AM

Use taskmanager to check your system resources. It sounds like you have a prog that'sa hog.
April 2, 2006 5:40:52 AM

Quote:
Use taskmanager to check your system resources. It sounds like you have a prog that'sa hog.

Windoze itself is a hog ;-)

Anyway something is probably taking up a lot of resources.

You can use msconfig to disable programs and services you don't need.

Your hard drive may also be fragmented - try a defrag.
April 3, 2006 2:04:03 AM

Ok thanks. I'll see what I can do.
April 3, 2006 2:31:10 AM

Quote:

I never had this problem when I had my 3000+ cpu. What gives?

So, IIRC, you upgraded or changed some parts? What kind of upgrade?

If it is something major, like CPU/motherboard change, you should have reinstalled Windows to clear up drivers mess..
April 3, 2006 2:40:42 AM

hmm u try adding more RAM ?

:D 
April 3, 2006 3:10:13 AM

All I did was upgrade my CPU and video card. It's the same mobo.

Yeah I was thinking of getting another gig of ram. I checked my task manager but I dunno what to delete.
April 3, 2006 3:23:19 AM

Quote:

Yeah I was thinking of getting another gig of ram. I checked my task manager but I dunno what to delete.

going from nvidia to ATI or vice-versa?
April 3, 2006 3:28:09 AM

Quote:

screenshot plz

thx =]
April 3, 2006 3:56:36 AM

Quote:

going from nvidia to ATI or vice-versa?

ATI to Nvidia.
I'll work on getting the screen shot.
April 3, 2006 5:16:42 AM

I've upgraded video cards from ati to nvidia a couple of times, and I don't think I've seen a bigger slowdown than the computer before deinstalling/installing the correct drivers. Sound like a dumb question, but did you? You'd think windows would see the change, but it isn't always that smart....
April 3, 2006 5:43:55 AM

Yes, I did everything. I even used drivercleaner.
April 3, 2006 5:46:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, I did everything. I even used drivercleaner.

Have you tried Linux?

:-D
April 3, 2006 5:53:04 AM

He probably like to be able to play games. :wink:
April 3, 2006 6:02:47 AM

Quote:
He probably like to be able to play games. :wink:

You can play games under Linux :-D
April 3, 2006 6:08:19 AM

Few and they run worse.
April 3, 2006 7:11:48 AM

Say the word 'Linux' in a post, you have Action_man trying to eradicate the Communist menace.

I just spent my weekend playing games in Linux. Tux Kart is tough...

Back to the problem, if you've tried uninstalling the previous drivers to no effect and you have the computer beeping constantly when moving the mouse, it looks like either faulty RAM or bad IRQ allocation.

Test your RAM (memtest86 is a nice, free utility you can burn on a CD or on a diskette), and (easier, to try first) reset your BIOS and, in the BIOS, clear NVRAM. It may just help. You could also try updating your AMD CPU drivers.
April 3, 2006 7:16:30 AM

Once is funny. :roll:
April 3, 2006 8:58:01 AM

dude i had the exactly the same problem, and i didnt know what it was, i mean i couldnt even run skype alone just opening it, and this happend to my pc right after i got net, i ran a scan for viruses but it didnt show up anything so in the end i just reinstalled windows ( it was a second hand pc and no one had reintalled windows probably in AGES! so now its all good but i need more ram :( 
April 3, 2006 9:26:43 AM

there could also be a rootkit running on said computer - if you've played a Sony audio CD on it, said Sony rootkit (if it hides itself, modifies the behaviour of your computer, phones home and can't be uninstalled, then it is a rootkit) could very well be using up resources or create a bottleneck on interrupts - prompting this buzzing.

@melarcky: you could also have had a rootkit installed, and/or a bunch of registry corruption. Fixing the latter usually requires a Windows reinstall, although some registry cleaners can tidy it up a bit if you don't want to reinstall.
April 3, 2006 11:48:48 AM

Can you u post your specs and what you generally have running in the background?

Also u don't seem to metion a firewall. Do u have one running?
April 3, 2006 9:06:08 PM

Asus K8N-E Deluxe, Athlon 64 3700+ socket 754, 1 gig corsair valueselect ram, BFG Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS OC AGP, SoundBlaster Audigy 4, 2 ATA hard drives, dvd rom, burner, floppy.

I have Norton System Works '05 which includes a firewall, antivirus, ghost, etc. I'm usually running Skype, AIM, wireless connection.

I just checked my Add/Remove Programs and saw that the ATI Catalyst Control Center is still there, but I try to remove it, and it says "Error 1316. A network error occured while attempting to read from the file C:WINDOWSInstallerATICCC.msi".
Could this be causing the problem?

I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of reinstalling windows again. Where do I get this registry cleaner you mentioned?
April 4, 2006 4:48:20 AM

Quote:
Asus K8N-E Deluxe, Athlon 64 3700+ socket 754, 1 gig corsair valueselect ram, BFG Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS OC AGP, SoundBlaster Audigy 4, 2 ATA hard drives, dvd rom, burner, floppy.

I have Norton System Works '05 which includes a firewall, antivirus, ghost, etc. I'm usually running Skype, AIM, wireless connection.

I just checked my Add/Remove Programs and saw that the ATI Catalyst Control Center is still there, but I try to remove it, and it says "Error 1316. A network error occured while attempting to read from the file C:WINDOWSInstallerATICCC.msi".
Could this be causing the problem?

I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of reinstalling windows again. Where do I get this registry cleaner you mentioned?

Norton is a major resource hog.

I would recommend clamwin + AVG free

http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/clamwin/...

http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg71free_38...

You also need to eradicate the ATI stuff. Norton systemworks includes a registry cleaner IIRC.

Backup your registry, set a restore point and clean out the registry.
April 4, 2006 5:07:24 AM

Thanks for the info. How do I use the registry cleaner thing in Norton?
April 4, 2006 5:17:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. How do I use the registry cleaner thing in Norton?

I think it's called norton windoctor something or other.

Check your norton program group.

Make sure you backup your registry and set a system restore point first.

Start -> Run -> regedit

regedit -> select my computer -> File -> Export -> save the registry -> exit

Start -> Programs -> Admin Tools -> System Restore -> Set restore point
April 4, 2006 5:41:37 AM

Yeah I tried that Windoctor, but the ATI thing is still there.
April 4, 2006 5:45:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah I tried that Windoctor, but the ATI thing is still there.

Did you try Start -> run -> msconfig -> statup ?
April 4, 2006 7:09:24 AM

Mucking around in the registry was never a good idea. My plan: plug in your old vidcard, reinstall the drivers+ control panel, then uninstall them properly (get back to the VGA display) and only then, remove it.

I agree with linux_0: Norton's consumer stuff is bit defecation: remove this Norton System Works, use integrated Windows firewall (just set it up correctly, unchecking those exceptions you don't want) or get ZoneAlarm, and load AVG free.

It is quite a revelation that trying to uninstall the catalyst control panel creates a network error; looks like you've identified the real troublemaker.
April 4, 2006 12:49:04 PM

Even though you don’t want to reinstall it is the best in your case (with a HDD format).

It is best IMHO not to install Norton System works, as from what I’ve been hearing about it, it could be the culprit of your woes. Somehow Norton manages to cause more problems than it solves (windows version – the old DOS version of Norton was GREAT) in a lot of cases and it’s a great resource hog :evil:  .

I was using Norton internet security and was happy with it till I tried to uninstall it :x . One format and reinstallation of Windows later I am happily using Avast for an antivirus and kerio for a firewall. Never going back to Norton again. :D 
April 4, 2006 4:14:21 PM

Yeah, maybe I should just uninstall that Norton.
About the video card, I can't intsall my old one because I don't have it anymore.
April 4, 2006 8:39:53 PM

I tried it and I go the same error message.
April 4, 2006 10:16:34 PM

Quote:
I tried it and I go the same error message.

You may have no choice but to remove it manually :-(
April 5, 2006 3:18:40 AM

You mean going to find the file and deleting it? I would if I could FIND it. :cry: 
April 5, 2006 9:53:55 AM

I think your best bet would be a new clean installation of windows. (just don’t install Norton this time) :) 
April 8, 2006 12:45:12 AM

Yeah, I second.. I also think that its best for you to format your hard disk and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows..

When there's so much registry problems in the windows, it means that your windows is spoilt. No matter how you repair it, there will still remain some bottleneck and errors.. may become worse down the line. You can never repair the registry to 100% status.

So.. if can, just install a fresh version of Windows, its more worth it than searching for the problems in the registry like a needle in a haystack. I think installing windows is even faster than the time you take to solve the problems.. so what's there to loose?

Just my opinion..
April 8, 2006 3:26:15 AM

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. Eventually when I get an external HD, I'll back everything up and then reformat. :( 
April 8, 2006 3:31:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. Eventually when I get an external HD, I'll back everything up and then reformat. :( 

Make sure you reserve some space for Linux :-D

Linux doesn't slow down quite like windoze does and it doesn't have a registry ;-)
April 8, 2006 3:44:58 AM

Linux good for servers, Windows good for desktop... You can't deny Windows power for desktop activities... :o 
April 8, 2006 4:22:16 AM

Quote:
Linux good for servers, Windows good for desktop... You can't deny Windows power for desktop activities... :o 

I run Linux on the desktop. I have for years :-D

If there's a will there's a way!

Linux can even run DOS and Windows applications windoze can no longer run, including games.
April 9, 2006 3:46:18 AM

Well I took my comp to my friend's house today. He worked his magic and it's now fixed. Plus, we traded some games too. So far so good. :D 
April 9, 2006 3:52:58 AM

Quote:
Well I took my comp to my friend's house today. He worked his magic and it's now fixed. Plus, we traded some games too. So far so good. :D 

Good to hear :-D

What was the problem? What did he do to fix it?
April 9, 2006 4:30:25 AM

Yeah, I think he ran some reg cleaner program. But he also cleared away alot of start up programs I had running. Plus, like you guys said, he uninstalled Norton System Works and I'm using AVG Free Edition now.

Wooohooo! :lol: 
April 9, 2006 4:45:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think he ran some reg cleaner program. But he also cleared away alot of start up programs I had running. Plus, like you guys said, he uninstalled Norton System Works and I'm using AVG Free Edition now.

Wooohooo! :lol: 

Good :-D

I hope it stays that way.

I just installed XP to test something for a friend and 5 min after the install it was already crashing.... LOL

Now it's completely messed up.

I'm deleting it now.

M$ software is soooooooo nice
April 9, 2006 8:25:59 AM

I'm using Linux as my main desktop. I also have a (much smaller) share of my disk dedicated to Windows.

This one is not only tweaked on the install disk (it actually installs WinXP SP2 with all fixes to 15 jan 2006, but also deactivate Luna, several services, Alexa spyware, and removes WMP). This allows it to install in less than 30 minutes, and then I only spend a few minutes installing the updates and AVG. I decided to use the Windows firewall with no exception allowed, it was sufficient. Loaded Firefox, Irfanview, Media Player Classic and Openoffice, I got all I need for casual desktop usage, ultimate performance in gamesand low RAM footprint.

I've started tinkering with installing SuSE 10.1 b9 on a spare rig, it looks damn cool with Xgl: pretty much the same effects you'd get in Vista Aero, with a much lower resources footprint. Now if Wine could actually implement all of Directx 9, then I wouldn't need Windows at all anymore.
April 9, 2006 8:32:11 AM

Quote:
I'm using Linux as my main desktop. I also have a (much smaller) share of my disk dedicated to Windows.

This one is not only tweaked on the install disk (it actually installs WinXP SP2 with all fixes to 15 jan 2006, but also deactivate Luna, several services, Alexa spyware, and removes WMP). This allows it to install in less than 30 minutes, and then I only spend a few minutes installing the updates and AVG. I decided to use the Windows firewall with no exception allowed, it was sufficient. Loaded Firefox, Irfanview, Media Player Classic and Openoffice, I got all I need for casual desktop usage, ultimate performance in gamesand low RAM footprint.

I've started tinkering with installing SuSE 10.1 b9 on a spare rig, it looks damn cool with Xgl: pretty much the same effects you'd get in Vista Aero, with a much lower resources footprint. Now if Wine could actually implement all of Directx 9, then I wouldn't need Windows at all anymore.

:-D

FC5 has XGL too I believe

WINE is always improving... there's also Cedega ( formerly WINEX )...

I primarily use Cedega, QEMU and VMWare. They all work reasonably well considering what they do.
April 9, 2006 8:57:38 AM

I've never been too fond of FC. I'm installing SuSE on a spare machine @work, because I'm looking for a migration of the machine at my workplace - and on top of Xgl, SuSE touted a VBA import feature in its version of OOo2.

@home I use Mandriva cooker. Mandriva has decided to use Xegl, but Xgl is available now for the adventurous - but I'll keep off for now.
!