crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I have an AthlonXP 2500+, but the question would be suitable for any processor we may have. My CPU runs perfect at 10x200 @ 1.65V. However, in an effort to decrease temps and power draw, what would happen if I decreased the Voltage from 1.65V to 1.60V or 1.55V? I know what happens when the voltage is increased in an attempt to OC. Temps climb quickly and we may damage the CPU. That's why the AthlonXP shouldn't go above 1.75V max. But what about lowering the voltage? Would that lower temps, or would it damage the CPU?

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Yes, but I dont want to decrease the speed as I do run some intensive tasks such as creating videos for people and transcoding them onto DVD, playing games, etc... A decrease in performance would not be in my best in interest. I'm just curious if lowering the Vcore would do anything productive or destructive. For example, if I went down to 1.40V and it was stable, would that be good or bad? I'm assuming slightly lower temps, but I dont want to try it if it will damage my CPU.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's not gonna damage anything. I know people who do this on purpose to reduce heat. With today's CPU's, you can often run the VCore a bit below spec while keeping the CPU at standard speed. The Athlon64 Venice core chips are famous for being able to do that.

Now your older XP2500 on the other hand, probably can't take much lowering. You can just try it and see how far you can go while testing it for stability.

Also remember though, as you search for the lowest VCore you can successfully run at, you'll probably make your computer more sensitive to voltage spikes and so forth, so it may crash a bit more.

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Well, I found the lowest stable Voltage I can reach while being stable at 200*10. It's 1.475V. It lowered my CPU Diode temp from 51 to 46 at idle and 63-57 under load. About a 10% reduction in heat. Not bad.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well, I found the lowest stable Voltage I can reach while being stable at 200*10. It's 1.475V. It lowered my CPU Diode temp from 51 to 46 at idle and 63-57 under load. About a 10% reduction in heat. Not bad.

Are you on a stock HSF?

If you are, might consider getting better one. My dad's XP2400+ is on default voltage 1.5, idles at 42C. Loads 46-48C on a hsf that was rated up to 3700+. But of course the side case is off.. :roll:

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Actually I am using the Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF. It's much quieter than stock and has been great for all the years I've had the computer. Well, since I'm here I have another question. What temp should I be looking at for all of this? I have 5 temps that I moniter:

Chipset 23-24
MB Under CPU 32-37
CPU Die 46-57
HD0 27-28
GPU 39-41

These factors are given by speedfan by another user's postings. The numbers given are temps at idle and at 30min burnin from Prime95. I've tested it at longer to be sure it was stable, but didn't grab the temps. Should I be monitoring the "MB Under CPU" sensor, which is the reading I get in the BIOS, or the "CPU Die"? The MB is a DFI LanParty NF400 Ultra. I am assuming the increase in other temps (HD, GPU) is due to the increase in ambient air temps from the burn-in.