Sign in with
Your question

Best LCD as of right now?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 5, 2002 9:35:35 PM

I am looking to buy a Digital LCD monitor, I like either the ViewSonic's or the Samsung's... i like the VG181 or the SamSung 170T... Which is better, if anybody has either one, I would appreciated it.

Thanks/Rob

AMD USER!!!

More about : lcd

February 5, 2002 10:38:02 PM

What size are you looking for?

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.
February 5, 2002 11:05:13 PM

well if i didn't have the money i guess a 17" would do..No way will i go anything lower.. But I plan on seriously purchasing an Lcd Monitor around April-June...So the prices might drop on 18"s,I wouldn't mind paying alittle more for the 18" but the thing is i want Excellent picture quality...if i can get it with the 17 " Samsung or a 17" Viewsonic then i'll go with it..But for alittle more $$ and get better quality then i'll go for an 18" Who Wouldn't want a Nice Huge Monitor....

Thanks/Rob

AMD USER!!!
Related resources
February 5, 2002 11:18:23 PM

All LCD monitors are fixed resolution devices because the pixel pitch multiplied by the resolution defines the screen size of the LCD monitor. LCD monitors use a matrix of cells so the pixels are in a fixed location and therefore define the native resolution of the monitor.

Pixel pitch is like the dot pitch on a CRT, the closer together the pixels the less blocky diagonal lines look. Tighter pixel pitch is usually preferred.

Even though the two technologies are difficult to compare, the basic premise that smaller dot pitch and pixel pitch for a given resolution would be better. A better comparison is the difference between an 18.1” (pixel pitch = .28) and a 17.4” (pixel pitch = .27). Will you see the difference, some people will other will not, it comes down to personal choice. All else equal, I would always take a monitor with tighter dot / pixel pitch.

17-inch class LCD's tend to be less costly.

Good Luck

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com
February 5, 2002 11:29:24 PM

ok, thanks...so from what you know... Which one to GET, out of these choices only... Samsung 170T, VG181, VG171...Price doesn't matter...Which is the better choice
thanks/Rob

AMD USER!!!
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 5, 2002 11:54:10 PM

Uh...you really can't compare pixel pitch only. I mean, with a larger screen size, it is easier to read smaller text. The Viewsonic VG191 will prove that. It all comes down to personal preference man. What else do you want in your LCD rather than the screen size?

Jack Burton is a great man...
February 6, 2002 12:02:04 AM

what exactly is ur price limit?

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 6, 2002 12:03:49 AM

He said price doesn't matter....if that is the case, I would go for a big ass 23 inch LCD. Hehe...

February 6, 2002 12:07:00 AM

nah, i don't want to get that crazy..but something in the 1200$ range...Well Something that's 1300$ now will go down in JUNE, hopefully...im gonna get the LCD in JUNE...and with that in thought...Waiting to see the price on the VG191 might not be a bad idea.. I want Crisp Text, Not blury on the edges, Digital..

AMD USER!!!
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 6, 2002 12:09:40 AM

Then a VG191 would be a great choice. However, with the spending limit that high, I would go with an LCD with a native resolution of 1600x1200 at around 18+ inches, esp. if you have or will be getting a top end video card. But if your video card isn't that great, the VG191 would probably be perfect for you. I've checked it out personally and can vouch for its great iq quality, and the text is sharp and crisp.

February 6, 2002 12:26:37 AM

nah, i don't want to get that crazy..but something in the 1200$ range...Well Something that's 1300$ now will go down in JUNE, hopefully...im gonna get the LCD in JUNE...and with that in thought...Waiting to see the price on the VG191 might not be a bad idea..

Im planing on a Geforce 3 ti500 VisionTEK...or will wait for the Geforce 4, since i'm not buying this monitor till JUNE

AMD USER!!!
February 6, 2002 9:23:56 PM

Forgot which company- will get back to u, had this LCD- 18", and it had some awesome specs. Was 1200.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 6, 2002 10:54:22 PM

I have a VG191 - they are down around $900 currently - a great deal. Yes, pixel pitch is tighter on a smaller screen but you get less real estate. The 19 lets you operate several windows easily. Text is crisp without being tiny (maybe you have younger eyes than mine, but I switched from a 19" CRT, gained real estate and gained clarity).
Unless you have a super video card currently, you should consider a DVI for the extra crispness it provides. I'm using a Matrox G550 since I barely game, but some of the GF3s supposedly do well also.
I think the 191 has better response time than the 181. The Dell 2000FP is apparently really sweet, but at the top of your price range. You could get a 191 and a top line gaming video card and still be shipped on budget...

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 9, 2002 5:11:21 PM

Hey Rob, look at the Samsung 181T LCD. I think it would be perfect for your price range and all. It's a nice LCD.

February 9, 2002 11:58:40 PM

there, we go, that's what I was referring to earlier.

February 10, 2002 12:57:02 AM

Thanks alot, any of you guys own one...

rob,

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!
!