notice of problem with new Ad-Aware version 1.04

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
problem.
Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.

Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de

Malke

Jim Macklin wrote:

> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
> problem.
> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>
> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de

Yes, Randy sent another note that there is apparently a problem with the
new build. I'm holding off on using it until I hear it is OK.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

D/ld build 1.04 from MajorGeeks and it ran fine.
Dannie
> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
> problem.
> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>
> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de

peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Mine from Major Geeks works fine too. There are lots of posts about it in
the Lavasoft forums.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"Dannie" <sloopoke.noname@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
> D/ld build 1.04 from MajorGeeks and it ran fine.
> Dannie
> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
>> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
>> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
>> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
>> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
>> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
>> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
>> problem.
>> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>>
>> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Jim,

I just downloaded it from Major Geeks. It installed and scanned 135,000
files on my C: and D: drives - through to completion.

Go figure!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
> problem.
> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>
> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Mine froze at about 31,600 files. Copy from Major Geeks.

> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
> problem.
> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>
> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I guess it may be a problem for some configurations and not
others. When I ran it it seemed that it didn't really scan
to the 38,000 files, it just seemed to get there real fast
and then stop. I'll try it again in a few days. Another
poster said there was a pretty good thread on the lavasoft
forum, I'll check that out.

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:OgHcMtGlEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| Jim,
|
| I just downloaded it from Major Geeks. It installed and
scanned 135,000
| files on my C: and D: drives - through to completion.
|
| Go figure!
|
| --
| Regards:
|
| Richard Urban
|
| aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

in message
| > Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
| > Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
| > Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link.
Install
| > removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at
about
| > 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
| > Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks
in
| > case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
| > problem.
| > Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
| >
| > Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de
| >

| > --

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You may have a bad sector, run chkdsk /f /r

Jim Macklin wrote:
> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
> problem.
> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>
> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de

Gimpy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
> problem.
> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>
> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de
>

>Had the same problem as you Jim, mine froze at about the same point.
Tried downloading from 2 different places including MajorGeeks & both
did the same thing... Went back to 1.03 as well... Let us know if you
hear any reason as to why. Gimpy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

that isn't the problem, have run checkdisk with full scans,
it is a hot topic on the Lavasoft forums. They added some
new scan engine changes and that is where it seems to be
getting hung up.

There may be some interaction with installed software or
user settings, which would explain the randomness of the
failure, but all failures being basically the same at the
same point.

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:34:19 -0400, Dannie wrote:

> D/ld build 1.04 from MajorGeeks and it ran fine.

I want better odds than 50:50 before I upgrade. I'll wait.

--
Howard

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Downloaded the "fixed" 1.04 version and it ran fine! Got it here.

"DaveD" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> Mine froze at about 31,600 files. Copy from Major Geeks.
>
> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
>> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
>> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
>> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
>> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
>> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
>> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
>> problem.
>> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>>
>> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

> ---

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

No problem here from MajorGeeks XPHome SP1

John Allen

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:34:19 -0400, "Dannie"
<sloopoke.noname@nospam.optonline.net> wrote:

>D/ld build 1.04 from MajorGeeks and it ran fine.
>Dannie
>"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
>> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
>> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
>> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
>> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
>> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
>> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
>> problem.
>> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
>>
>> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
problem. It may be a problem with users or software
conflicts.

If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep scans,
or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes. But
just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but those
that do...

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:03:05 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:

> Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
> Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
> problem. It may be a problem with users or software
> conflicts.
>
> If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep scans,
> or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes. But
> just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but those
> that do...

They have reissued the build. Posted 2004-09-06 21:43:45 on
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11260174~mode=flat~start=50#11263502

"Everyone who experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up during a scan, please
redownload Ad-Aware (it will still display the same build number - 1.04).

Please note that you only need to redownload if you indeed
experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up.

Pro and Plus users please use the same download link.

Freeware users please use the following mirror.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Best regards

Ann - Christine
Team Lavasoft"

--
Howard

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Prompt service, thanks for the link.

Jim

"Howard Harris" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:03:05 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
| > Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
| > problem. It may be a problem with users or software
| > conflicts.
| >
| > If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep
scans,
| > or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes. But
| > just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but
those
| > that do...
| >

| They have reissued the build. Posted 2004-09-06 21:43:45
on

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11260174~mode=flat~start=50#11263502

| "Everyone who experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up during
a scan, please
| redownload Ad-Aware (it will still display the same build
number - 1.04).

| Please note that you only need to redownload if you indeed
| experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up.
|
| Pro and Plus users please use the same download link.
|
| Freeware users please use the following mirror.
| http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
|
| We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused
you.

| Best regards
|
| Ann - Christine
| Team Lavasoft"
|
| --
| Howard

cris

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Everything OK here from that site.

"Howard Harris" <me@privacy.net> escribió en el mensaje
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:03:05 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:
>
> > Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
> > Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
> > problem. It may be a problem with users or software
> > conflicts.
> >
> > If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep scans,
> > or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes. But
> > just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but those
> > that do...
> >

> They have reissued the build. Posted 2004-09-06 21:43:45 on

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11260174~mode=flat~start=50#11263502

> "Everyone who experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up during a scan, please
> redownload Ad-Aware (it will still display the same build number - 1.04).
>
> Please note that you only need to redownload if you indeed
> experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up.
>
> Pro and Plus users please use the same download link.
>
> Freeware users please use the following mirror.
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
>
> We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
>
> Best regards
>
> Ann - Christine
> Team Lavasoft"
>
> --
> Howard

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Downloaded the new version and scanned all drives without a
problem. It seemed to pause in some folders and with DLLs
but there was still hard drive activity as shown by the
light. The file count resumed within a few seconds.
Partitions scanned 4, files scanned 193995 detections as
expected, 20 recent file used lists, all critical items
removed with previous versions.

Jim

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:ONoO66MlEHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Prompt service, thanks for the link.
|
| Jim
|

| "Howard Harris" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
|| On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:03:05 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:
|| > Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
|| > Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
|| > problem. It may be a problem with users or software
|| > conflicts.
|| >
|| > If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep
| scans,
|| > or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes.
But
|| > just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but
| those
|| > that do...

|| They have reissued the build. Posted 2004-09-06 21:43:45
| on

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11260174~mode=flat~start=50#11263502
|| "Everyone who experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up
during
| a scan, please
|| redownload Ad-Aware (it will still display the same build
| number - 1.04).
|| Please note that you only need to redownload if you
indeed
|| experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up.
|| Pro and Plus users please use the same download link.
|| Freeware users please use the following mirror.
|| http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
|| We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused
| you.
|| Best regards
|| Ann - Christine
|| Team Lavasoft"
|| --
|| Howard

debbie

There is also a new version of the program: Ad-Aware SE
that is even faster and with the add-ins is even better.
I installed it last week and have had no problems at all.

debbie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I downloaded the fixed 1.04 from MajorGeeks this morning
also. It ran fine on my XP machine so I also downloaded
(updated from 1.03) it to the old 433 Celeron running 98 and
that also worked just fine.

wrote in message
| >> Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
| >> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
| >> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link.
Install
| >> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at
about
| >> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
| >> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks
in
| >> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
| >> problem.
| >> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
| >>
| >> Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de
| >>

| >> --
| >> The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| >>

| > ---
| > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
9/3/2004

| ---
9/3/2004

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I ran a full scan and had no problems, I did find some bugs that v.6
couldn't see :)

Wallace

Jim Macklin wrote:
> that isn't the problem, have run checkdisk with full scans,
> it is a hot topic on the Lavasoft forums. They added some
> new scan engine changes and that is where it seems to be
> getting hung up.
>
> There may be some interaction with installed software or
> user settings, which would explain the randomness of the
> failure, but all failures being basically the same at the
> same point.
>

> "Wallace Hill" <w.hill@awesomenet.net> wrote in message
> | You may have a bad sector, run chkdsk /f /r
> |
> | Jim Macklin wrote:
> | > Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
> | > Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
> | > Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link.
> Install
> | > removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at
> about
> | > 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
> | > Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks
> in
> | > case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
> | > problem.
> | > Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
> | >
> | > Have sent email to lavasoft general@lavasoft.de

Malke

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Cris wrote:

>>don't you have to pay to get updated definitions for
>> Spyware Sweeper?
>
> I think updates used to be free.
>
> Unfortunately, I am having problems to access
> http://www.webroot.com/services/spysweeperupdate.htm?pc=64000&rc
> =1&ps=F&oc=2&mjv=3&mnv=0&bld=118&cd=&dcc=&drc=&mo=2&sid=&lang=en
> this week.
>
> Does anybody have the same prblem with this site?

The site works for me. Although it is pretty funny because it says my
version of Spy Sweeper is up-to-date and offers me the chance of
upgrading. It's funny because this machine runs Linux, I looked at the
site with Mozilla 1.7, and naturally I'm not running Spy Sweeper on
Linux!

If you can't get to the site, you might want to check your hosts files
to make sure nothing is in there except 127.0.0.1 (and anything you put
there yourself).

Malke