Computer resets when I try to increase memory speed on vcard

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
After a fair bit of trouble I've finally got my new HIS X1800XL working (almost) properly, and at reasonable temperatures (57*C idle, was 90*C). Anyway I still have one remaining problem, I can OC the GPU with CCC fine - I have it at a 'requested' 575MHz, but as soon as I try to ramp up the memory clock speed, whether it be an extra 50MHz or just an extra 5MHz, as soon as I click 'Ok' or 'Apply' my computer just shuts down and reboots. Anyone know why this might be?

Someone suggested to try ATI Tool, but that doesn't really explain why this is happening.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Newsflash: 57 Celsius at IDLE is NOT reasonable. However, instantaneous reboots should not occurr from the heat anyway, so more than likely it isn't getting enough power--and probably is having great difficulty working even without overclocking. Yeah, the GPU can play around with very power fluctuations, but GDDR3 will die at even a hint of any voltage problems.

Assuming this has external power connectors--does your PSU have the PCI-E power connectors, or are you using a hdd power connectors? Give your system specs--or is it the same system you have in your signature (w/o the 6600)?

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Well, it was 90*C in windows before and I rang ATI and they told me not to be concerned unless I experienced further problems, which of course I did. So in that respect 57*C was reasonable, cos it didn't keep throwing me out of games.

Yeah, my signature is my current spec, except for the 6600.

The card has it's own PCI-e lead, so it should be getting all the power it wants.

The gpu oc's in CCC fine, right up to 575MHz, it's just whenever I try to adjust the memory that it reboots.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Has anyone else had problems with increasing the memory speed on their ati cards?

I downloaded ati tool and tried to delicately increase the mem speed but strange things happened, it didn't reboot, but it didn't like it!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Has anyone else had problems with increasing the memory speed on their ati cards?

I downloaded ati tool and tried to delicately increase the mem speed but strange things happened, it didn't reboot, but it didn't like it!

I see artifacts whenever I raise the memory speed of my x600 over 310MHz (DDR, so it's 620MHz). Of course, the memory has no heatsinks, so that might be why. I'd check that your VRAM even has heatsinks, and that they're properly applied, or just leave it at the stock speed.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I have it at a 'requested' 575MHz, but as soon as I try to ramp up the memory clock speed, whether it be an extra 50MHz or just an extra 5MHz, as soon as I click 'Ok' or 'Apply' my computer just shuts down and reboots. Anyone know why this might be?

Time for Captain Obvious to come to the rescue:

YOUR MEMORY CAN NOT TAKE OVERCLOCKING! SO STOP IT!

Confirm: 57C at idle is fuxoring hot! I have a passively cooled X800XL, and it hits 57 under full load. 90C is plain dangerous.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I'm almost certain it's not a heat issue. If I so much as increase the memory by 1MHz my PC will crash and reboot. I'd imagine this means that something is either wrong with the card or the motherboard.

I've a sneaky suspicion it's the motherboard, or it's drivers, as I can't even update the bios, no matter which way I do it, live-update or floppy, leading me to believe that somethings not right with it. :x

So I've been looking around for a new one and have my eye on an Asus A8N-E.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Time for Captain Obvious to come to the rescue:

YOUR MEMORY CAN NOT TAKE OVERCLOCKING! SO STOP IT!

Confirm: 57C at idle is fuxoring hot! I have a passively cooled X800XL, and it hits 57 under full load. 90C is plain dangerous.

Really? Why ever not? Have I got a dodgy card??

edit: I uninstalled the nvidia drivers.