Comment on Mid-Range computer

doncorleone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Im presently buying my parts for my new rig and i would like to have your thoughts on it. Im not a big OCer but i plan on doing it later. Im really not interested in SLI or in Crossfire. I plan on using this computer for a long period of time, and im not a big gamer(WoW)...

Here are the parts i plan on buying

CPU: AMD Opteron 165 OR AMD Opteron 148
MOBO: DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D PCIE, ASUS A8N-E NF4 ULTRA PCIE, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, Epox 9NPA3 Ultra
GPU: SAPPHIRE PCIE RAD X800GTO2 256M DUAL LITE
MEM: OCZ 400MHZ DDR 2048MB GOLD GX XTC KIT OR Corsair 2048Mb DDR2 [533] Dual *VS2GBKIT533D2*
HD: Western Digital 250Gb S-ATA2 [7200] *16Mb*
PSU: 520W POWER ATX OCZ MODSTREAM
CASE: CASE ATX ASPIRE X-CRUISER BLACK

My biggest concern is the mobo, im really not sure wich one to buy...

Chil

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
You can't buy DDR2 memory, it has to be DDR. I'd recommend 1GB of CORSAIR XMS, since you aren't a big gamer. If you did want 2 GB, maybe you're a photoshopper or something, then either OCZ or Corsair will do very well.

A DFI Lanparty may be a little too complicated for beginner OC'ers, so I'd recommend the ASUS A8N-E.

The best thing to do if you want help here is to tell us what you want to do with this rig. Are you going to be video editing, work with sound mixing, or something else? You said you aren't a big gamer, but does that mean you do play WoW, or don't you? You can kind of take "(WoW)" two different ways.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Im presently buying my parts for my new rig and i would like to have your thoughts on it. Im not a big OCer but i plan on doing it later. Im really not interested in SLI or in Crossfire. I plan on using this computer for a long period of time, and im not a big gamer(WoW)...

Here are the parts i plan on buying

CPU: AMD Opteron 165 OR AMD Opteron 148
MOBO: DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D PCIE, ASUS A8N-E NF4 ULTRA PCIE, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, Epox 9NPA3 Ultra
GPU: SAPPHIRE PCIE RAD X800GTO2 256M DUAL LITE
MEM: OCZ 400MHZ DDR 2048MB GOLD GX XTC KIT OR Corsair 2048Mb DDR2 [533] Dual *VS2GBKIT533D2*
HD: Western Digital 250Gb S-ATA2 [7200] *16Mb*
PSU: 520W POWER ATX OCZ MODSTREAM
CASE: CASE ATX ASPIRE X-CRUISER BLACK

My biggest concern is the mobo, im really not sure wich one to buy...

Get a name brand PSU; not a no-name. It's powering your whole system, so don't skimp on it. I'd get the Opty 165; soon most apps will be optimized for dual core; it makes sense to future-proof yourself.

doncorleone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
You can't buy DDR2 memory, it has to be DDR. I'd recommend 1GB of CORSAIR XMS, since you aren't a big gamer. If you did want 2 GB, maybe you're a photoshopper or something, then either OCZ or Corsair will do very well.

A DFI Lanparty may be a little too complicated for beginner OC'ers, so I'd recommend the ASUS A8N-E.

The best thing to do if you want help here is to tell us what you want to do with this rig. Are you going to be video editing, work with sound mixing, or something else? You said you aren't a big gamer, but does that mean you do play WoW, or don't you? You can kind of take "(WoW)" two different ways.

ehh yeah my bad for the memory, didnt read carefully
ill mainly use this computer for photoshop, 3ds max, a lot of video editing.
and yes i do play WoW, so what do u suggest&

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
are u stupid or something? the ocz psu's are like teh best psus out there. if its a no-name, then antec is just a deep-fryer.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hmmm? Any reason why? I find the Antec cases pretty good. They have excellent cooling, air filters, are easy to assemble, look great and hold many drives.