Compatibility issues? Techie seeking advice! Suggestions?

afang

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Hey guys!
this is my current setup:

NEWEGG WISHLIST LINK

I basically want feedback on the compatibility. Will my WD Raptor even be compatible with my MB? What are the requirements for SATA150 exactly? How does everything else look? I know the video card is relatively weak for the overall system, but I plan to just buy another 7600 in the future to SLI it. Thanks again!!

Thunder_Mongoose

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
I like the setup! Keep the PSU, you'll be thankful when you buy the second video card for SLI. I noticed you stated that you didn't need the SLI in the wishlist. If you are a gamer, keep the option open. Its better to spend $150 next year for your "older" video card and gain a better performance increase over any other upgrade. As far as my experience goes w/ SATA, as long as the drive is SATA150 and the MB has sata support (minimum sata150 obviously) I don't see any red flags for compatibility. If you read the reviews of those who bought the Raptor, you'll probably see some may have similar setups as you. I wasn't aware of the raptors being sata though...ha ha...thought the were SCSI only...now i think i'll update my wishlist too!! :twisted:

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
If you do not plan on getting a second video card in 2 or 3 months SLI is a waste of your money. Getting a second video card later will not double your performance. I would spend the money and get one 7800GT now, then one 7600 and another one later.

SATA is no problem other than installing Windows if your install is pre-SP2 and your drive is connected to the SATA RAID controller. You will need to give XP drivers via floppy for the install to work (Otherwise XP won't find a hard drive). Otherwise, there are no problems.

So, unless you need on-board firewire change the motherboard to the A8N-E. Also save $20 and get the Opteron 165 and overclock it to the level of 4200+. In the process you will gain double the L2 cache.

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Whats a 7900gt about $115 more than the 7600

I would lose the zalman cooler and arctic sliver and use the stock cooler untill you have more money to buy a new heatsink. The stock cooler is easily good enough to use.

Thats $45 less you have to find

"SLI is totally pointless, not worth the money. "

Only if 'pointless' means going from 63 fps to 109 fps in FEAR (1024x768max/4xAA/16xAF), or from 38 to 62 fps at 1280x960, is a rather useless jump in performance....

SLI is not pointless, indeed most can jump two steps in res with the same or higher framerates.....; it's just...expensive....

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Raptors pwn! That is simple. Loading times are nice and quick and it is a very reliable hard disk. I have a raptor with a zalman heatpipe cooler around it mounted near the front intake fan so that it blows across the heatpipes. It is quiet and cold :p I love it! I agree with others that that you would be much better served with a higher end single card. I don't agree that SLI is a good solution right now. The problem with it is that most games and software applications haven't utilized it yet. It seems more and more however that software producers are recognizing the industry path. You would be much better served with a high end card. Otherwise the setup looks great. Also opteron rather than x2. Other dude was right about the L2 cache! Other than that everything looks l33t.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
"SLI is totally pointless, not worth the money. "

Only if 'pointless' means going from 63 fps to 109 fps in FEAR (1024x768max/4xAA/16xAF), or from 38 to 62 fps at 1280x960, is a rather useless jump in performance....

SLI is not pointless, indeed most can jump two steps in res with the same or higher framerates.....; it's just...expensive....

Fear is an exception to the general trend right now. Most games don't have the drastic jump in performance that fear does. SLI seems to work great with fear.

afang

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Dang.

Before buying my computer I knew everyone recommended operton to OC. However, I didnt want to go through the trouble/voiding warrenty of over clocking initially. Basically I had an alienware before. I am graduating from college and starting fulltime work. sadly, I have already purchased the 7600 GT but will be calling on monday to return it and try to buy a 7800 GTX or 7900 instead. any brand suggestions? those are MUCH pricier.........

thanks again guys.

on the issue of saving money using a stock cooler initially.....that just seems like a hassle. using stock first, then ripping it off, reapplying the stuff and new cooler....

one more issue, do you guys think i need more case fans, or a harddrive cooler? thanks.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well if you get an opteron or x2 the coolers are quite nice. They have heatpipes an all. Most OEM coolers suck but these are actually nice! I personally like the 1900xt. If you have the money it is one hell of a card.

Thunder_Mongoose

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
I don't know...to me SLI is in the same category as a dual core chip. A lot of these threads say "SLI is still not being used by games..." well, dual core is the same way; only a few support it. If you are going for a gaming system now, then go single core, like a 3800 for less than the opty 165. I only say go SLI and dual core for future gaming use. I still don't feel that sli is pointless, just as i don't feel that dual core is pointless for gaming also. Next year, you will wish you had SLI IMO.

afang

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
yeah. i know price/performance wise for gaming, dual core is NOT the way to go. paying 355 bucks for dual core 4200+ would buy me something much better for a single core system. However, after reading several reviewings, I think a dual core system will change our general usage of our computer. multitasking will become a real option.

As for now, I am going to stay with my 7600, and SLI it in 3 months (when I make more money). Yes, I should probably save some money on the heatsink etc, but I think in the longrun I can just get a 7900.

There was one misconception I had though. I thought if I SLI'd two 7600, the performance would be close to being doubled for most games. However, I assume if a game does not support SLI, it will not benifit from SLI at all? Is that correct?

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well if all you do on a computer is game then you are right the dual core processor is a waste, however, if you multitask even a little then you are foolish not to go with it! :p It pwns