sheepmolo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
During springbreak, I bought a new computer and is great, for the most part. Confused

its cpu is AMD athlon venice3200+(S393) on nforce 4 ultra with 6800GS from evga and 1gb of ocz ram. all programs run fine in the beginning, but after sometime running idle or just running some minor programs, the system chugs during 3d operations like games(even in less intense games like world of warcraft and galactic civilizations 2). The system idle is at 99, but cpu usage is at 100% also sometimes. When I reboot and run 3d games fresh, they run perfectly. but if i run the game after quitting the 3d program without rebooting, the system chugs. I checked for spywares and viruses and found none. I also updated my nforce 4 and 6800 drivers, but they didnt' help either. Can anyone help me please?

Also, I checked the fans for both the cpu and the vid card, and they are both spinning. Also, vid card temperature is at 34C. I don't think its cpu overheating because I played quake 4 4 hours straight right after boot just to make sure it wasn't the cooling problem.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
During springbreak, I bought a new computer and is great, for the most part. Confused

its cpu is AMD athlon venice3200+(S393) on nforce 4 ultra with 6800GS from evga and 1gb of ocz ram. all programs run fine in the beginning, but after sometime running idle or just running some minor programs, the system chugs during 3d operations like games(even in less intense games like world of warcraft and galactic civilizations 2). The system idle is at 99, but cpu usage is at 100% also sometimes. When I reboot and run 3d games fresh, they run perfectly. but if i run the game after quitting the 3d program without rebooting, the system chugs. I checked for spywares and viruses and found none. I also updated my nforce 4 and 6800 drivers, but they didnt' help either. Can anyone help me please?

Also, I checked the fans for both the cpu and the vid card, and they are both spinning. Also, vid card temperature is at 34C. I don't think its cpu overheating because I played quake 4 4 hours straight right after boot just to make sure it wasn't the cooling problem.

Very odd... I would check for bad RAM using Memtest86. Video card is fine at 34C, thats not the problem at all. RAM is all I can really think of off the top of my head. What motherboard do you have exactly?

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Firstly, if it isn't crashing or screwing up (speed doesn't count) then it certainly is not bad RAM. So running MemTest86+ is just going to burn time.

================================================

You need to look at: (In order, don't be lazy and skip any)

( nForce http://www.nvidia.com ) Chipset drivers ? - If not installed you'll get these exact issues, so install them, if problem persists goto next step.

Video drivers ?

DirectX version ?

OS version, Service Packs installed ?

Peak Commit Charge ? (Just screenshot Task Manager, Performance tab after 1 hour+ of gaming, after the problem is experienced. Post screenshot to your webspace and link it here with [code:1:98a79cfba7]
image.jprg
[/code:1:98a79cfba7] tags)

Page file size ?, is it dynamic or fixed, is the minimum size set at 1024 MB, and maximum at 4096 MB ?

If you leave Windows idle it will page running apps to disk, to free up more memory for the disk cache, when returning it will hit the HDD quite hard. (Refer to 'Peak Commit Charge' above).

sheepmolo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
update: I uninstalled both my Nforce 4 and 6800 drivers and reinstalled them. I have windows SP2. Anyways, the cpu spiking up to 100 while system idle is at 99 seems to have disappeared or less frequent as. Anyways, my system still chugs in 3d programs. what is more odd is that the problem seems to go "away" if I run world of warcraft. If I run world of warcraft for like 30 seconds, then exit and run other 3d programs, the programs run fine. If I were to run them without doing so, system chugs. my friend and I am guessing that it must have to do with 3d and 2d applications and the computer isn't doing too well switching back and forth. If so, how can I fix this.
Note: I never installed 6800GS driver that came with the box, just downloaded newest on off the net, if that matters. Thanks for the reply
Ironically, this does not seem to help World of warcraft's framerate.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Checked 'Peak Commit Charge' ? (Just screenshot Task Manager, Performance tab after 1 hour+ of gaming, after the problem is experienced. Post screenshot to your webspace and link it here with
Code:
image.jprg

tags)

Page file size ?, is it dynamic or fixed, is the minimum size set at 1024 MB, and maximum at 4096 MB ?

If you leave Windows idle it will page running apps to disk, to free up more memory for the disk cache, when returning it will hit the HDD quite hard. (Refer to 'Peak Commit Charge' above).

I'd also recommend having a look at: http://users.on.net/~darkpeace/infotech/ ; from "Intermediate Guide To Protecting Your PC" about a page down.

SpyBot Search and Destroy is at v1.4 now I think, although I've had no spyware problems since switching to Windows XP x64 Edition (they have a IEXPLORE.EXE Win x64 compiled version is is highly resistant to spyware, and Mozilla Firefor 'Deer Park Alpha' x64 is also excellent).

================================================

Check for updates / patches to the game(s) in question.

I normally never suggest this, but, consider disabling the pagefile to see if the problem goes away.

It if does it points at either low HDD performance (usually driver) or a fragmented pagefile.

Since most DEFRAG tools won't touch the PageFile then: Download & Install "PageDefrag" from SysInternals (defrags fragmented pagefiles, which defrag can't do). I assume you already defraged the disk before posting.

sheepmolo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I am using 32 bit windows, also
pictures:
oo.JPG

spiking.JPG

untitled.JPG

Also, its my harddrive suppose to be detachable like that?
I never had that option before on my other computers.
Also, for world of warcraft, even after boot, I don't get the full 70FPS unless I play in battleground inside WOW itself called "arathi basin". Once I come out, I get 70 FPS.
Also, my specific MB is A8N5X from Asus.
Thanks for all your help.

sheepmolo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
update: source found
for some reason, even at idle, before launching any games my xp kernel is taking up all the resources for some reason.
Is there a way to fix this?

kernel.jpg

at peak, its at 99/99 even at idol.

WHY DON'T YOU RUN THE DESKTOP CLEANUP WIZARD, AND GET ALL THAT CRAP OFF YOUR DESKTOP. AND THEN. GO DOWN AND TURN OFF ALL THAT BULLSHIT YOU HAVE RUNNING IN THE TASKBAR. HOW MUCH MEMORY DO YOU THINK YOU CUOLD "LOOSEN" UP IF YOU DID THAT..........COLLEGE-BOY !

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
WHY DON'T YOU RUN THE DESKTOP CLEANUP WIZARD, AND GET ALL THAT CRAP OFF YOUR DESKTOP. AND THEN. GO DOWN AND TURN OFF ALL THAT BULLSHIT YOU HAVE RUNNING IN THE TASKBAR. HOW MUCH MEMORY DO YOU THINK YOU CUOLD "LOOSEN" UP IF YOU DID THAT..........COLLEGE-BOY !

How seriously do you think people are going to take any advice you give when you are even unable to locate the CAPS LOCK key on your keyboard ?

Look at the screenshots - he only has 23 processes running. I consider that pretty lean. I can't see any process there that he could stop and release any significant amount of memory.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Also, its my harddrive suppose to be detachable like that?
I never had that option before on my other computers.

This is quite normal on nForce4 motherboards. It's because the SATA drive is hot-swappable.

If you go to the Policies tab on the hdd properties, then you should see 2 options. The 'Optimise for Performance' option details that it will place the hdd in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the taskbar.

How much is going to be taken up by the instant messaging, that, without a doubt is constantly running. All that crap on the desktop eats resources just to have it there. If he'd try a good "free" spyware scanner or two, bet that would help also. Stupid college kids.... all brains, no common sense !

I'd like to see whats under that aplications tab.

IF I WANT TO YELL, I'LL TELL, AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT......well........? lol

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
How much is going to be taken up by the instant messaging, that, without a doubt is constantly running. All that crap on the desktop eats resources just to have it there.
I can only think that you are looking at the last image posted. Yes, he does have messenger running at the time of the screenshot, but not on any of the other images. I suggest that this guy is sensible enough to turn off MSN when playing.

There is very little 'crap' on his desktop. I don't know what you are referring to - I see 22 icons, and that really isn't gonna take up much in the way of resources. All the other icons you see (bottom and right of screen) are part of his wallpaper image.

Yes, he could try using a smaller image to reduce the memory usage, but would it really make that much of a difference with 1GB of installed memory?

If he'd try a good "free" spyware scanner or two, bet that would help also.
He's got a spyware scanner installed (you can see it in the image on the desktop), and he has previously stated that he has run it.

I'd like to see whats under that aplications tab.
There will be nothing there - 21 processes running on 1st image. 23 processes with MSN. What are you expecting to find there?

Anyone that can get WinXP running with 21 processes at startup has more than a basic level of knowledge, and has probably been through some Windows optimisation guides.

IF I WANT TO YELL, I'LL TELL, AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT......well........? lol
Entirely your choice I suppose. It will affect how others perceive you, but if your not concerned about that, then please continue.

I don't know what anti-spyware program he is running, but, Webroot spysweeper, and Venus Flytrap, ( avail. at trend micro's website ), will, without a doubt, find something. Spybot s&d isn't as good as people may believe. Neither is lavasoft ad-aware.

Also, I noticed that there is a security alert notification running. Perhaps going into the firewall/exceptions and turning off all un-needed links to the web would help. Something is eating resources.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
HHMMMM. sounds like U had the same problem what i had. Check in your bios if U ar running cool and quiet, I know that certain mobos that run wise scholar n quiet have issues but u seemed have updated everything. You mentioned something about the windows kernel using your processor alot, I know that You have SP2, that can cause issues on certain system. I had SP2 and when I played certain games ro ran certain programs my pc wouldnt respond, check my cpu, it was 100% load, my friend told me to uninstall sp2, and what do U know, it worked!!, U might want to go to online scanners and check for viruses, they are updated everyday so If U've got a new virus or something, it will tell U.
Keep us posted!
-Good Luck- :twisted:

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
I'm playing a hunch, but I'm guessing that this issue is HDD related. Simply because it is the slowest piece of hardware on a computer that is used often.

Have you defraged your Hard Drive? A good rule of thumb is to defrag your drive after you do any installation, and there after, at least once a week. This may seem like over kill to some, but if your drive is fragmented, things load/run much slower than they should. Also don't forget the fact that your paging file could be fragmented on your drive as well. If this is ever the case, whenever your computer needed to access your paging file on the HDD, aside from the slow amount of time it normally takes, it would take twice as long because it's not all in the same spot.

I honestly can't think of anything else it might be. I'm not sure if the windows defrag utility will also do the paging file for you or not, but this is where I would start with this issue. Hope this helps. :)

sheepmolo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
spiking.JPG

Thanks for all your responses guys. I don't think its HDD because I did defrag once and I don't hear lot of "grinding noises" made by the HDD at all. I am guessing its SP 2 or windows xp. I run trendmicro and spyware S&D if you guys care.

Note: When I first boot, kernal is normal, after running a gaming or just running the computer for awhile (idle, word, etc..) then the kernal goes evil

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
It is certainly not lack of memory as people are claiming.

Peak Commit Charge: Only 75% of memory after running all those apps and games (not that those apps use much anyway). This is the peak value, the highest it has got in a given session.

eg: Try checking it after running Battlefield 2, with pagefile enabled obviously. :p

Typical cache size: Around 20%+ of physical memory (A decent size for the OS Disk Cache)

As above, your true CPU load (status bar) is high, but System Idle is reported high aswell. This indicates either malware, or the wrong HDD drives are in use, or an IDE/ATAPI device is running in PIO Mode instead of Ultra DMA mode.

May be CPUIdle, Rain, or another such utility, Cool'n'Quiet is a hardware level thing and the OS doesn't 'see' it when it dynamically clocks (CnQ clocks down/up so fast you wouldn't be complaining about it - trust me).

It could be malware:
http://users.on.net/~darkpeace/infotech/
You'll need to run the Virus scan from an ActiveX enabled browser, such as MSIE.

Run Windows Update / Microsoft Update
%SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe

Edit: Need \\ double slashes to get one in posts, C/C++ style 8)