Can this set run Windows Vista smoothly?

chencx99

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[/i] :D
i am going to change most hardwares for Vista.
i will buy Athlon 64 939 3200+ perhaps the engineering sample CPU,because the cheaper price
1GB ddr400
Nvidia Geforce 6600LE or 6600 256M 128bit
motherboard :biostar Nvidia Nforce4 ultra
Can this set run Windows Vista smoothly?
PS:not for computer game

WGruener

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Good question. It really depends on how you define Windows Vista, as there will be several version of the OS.

From our view, most of today's current configurations, as long as they are DX9 capable, have 1 GB of memory and the processing power of a 3Ghz Pentium 4 CPU (or equivalent) should run basic Vista versions.

It is unclear what Vista Premium will require, but we hear that 2 GB of memory won't be a mistake, as much processing capability as possible as well as a DX10 graphics card - when available - may be required to run all eye candy smoothly.

We will be reporting on new information as it becomes available, so keep checking back on Tom's Hardware and TG Daily.

Wolfgang

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I don't think you'll need a DX10 graphics card but yes, 2GB of RAM is bare minimum for good Vista operation considering it currently uses 700MB of RAM just to run. I plan to go with 4GB.

It'll run Vista, just not all out. A dual core CPU is definitely a good idea as well.

xgas

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, add a few windows and "TRY" play BF2, you will need 4 GB or maybe 8GB, I'm going to stick with XP for a while cause DirectX 10 is coming to XP.

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
Hey Man!!
I have beta tested it and want to tell you that to really experience vista you should have at least 2 GB ram, ( I will have 4 GB when i shift totally )
A dual core processor ( Preferably AMD )
Any graphics card with 256 Mb vram and ( Direct X 10 support is a must )
Well that is what i want to tell you.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Yeah, add a few windows and "TRY" play BF2, you will need 4 GB or maybe 8GB, I'm going to stick with XP for a while cause DirectX 10 is coming to XP.

emm wtf ???

i thought DX10 was only for Vista

ohh wait , its never coming to Xp =0

DX10 will be Vista only - it's THE feature MS touts to push forward this OS.

I concur: RAM use for Vista is 600 Mb after clean install.

A graphic card with 256 Mb scores a measly 3.5, the 6600 scores 3.4 - a 6600 LE may score lower than 3...

While it may be caused by it still being beta with beta drivers, Vista ran very sluggishly on a X2 3800+ 1 Gb GF6600 256 Mb - you'd need a couple GF 7900 in SLI to run it 'correctly'. Maybe by the time MS developers have rewritten 60% of the code will Vista run well.

seanx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
From my understanding Vista will be desinged mainly around Dual core
processors ..... So the single core 3200+ will not be optimal.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
DX10 will be Vista only - it's THE feature MS touts to push forward this OS.

I'm inclined to agree, theres nothing new in Vista that will attract gamers other than DX10.

We all switched from 98/ME to XP because XP was way, way better. This time around, theres nothing other than DX10 to attract gamers/enthusiasts - I very much doubt that come Q107 everyone is going to be posting how great their 3DMark scores are because of their lovely new GUI

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
considering it currently uses 700MB of RAM just to run.

Try 400.

Try 700. I have it running at work with the February CTP both 64 and 32 bit on Merom processors, Calistoga boards, and 2GB of DDR2533.

I opened task manager and IE and it jumped to 850MB.

chencx99

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
I am chencx99
thanks for all the replies
I am a university man from China,Here Athlon X2 is hardly seen on sale.
And I can notafford it's price ,too dear.
I will wait for several months

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

DX10 is NOT coming to XP. There will be DX9 compat for Vista though. That's the last word I heard.

Hale73

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
windows vista idles at 800mb of RAM
actually, this DX10 which will utilize on this next gen games such as Crysis and Halo2 is a way for microsoft to force us to buy their new OS. :x

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Have a look at this board:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=702
and this board:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=6150K8MA-8EKRS

The MSI K8NGM2-FID (GeForce 6150 + nForce 430) [Onboard GbE LAN, IEEE1394, DVI connector] one only, disregard the two similar named models below it.

With a decent CPU and 2 GB RAM (upgradable to 4 GB) they will run MS Windows XP / Vista (including x64 editions) fine.

If it is not for gaming you are far better off with just a GeForce 6150, as it'll do WMV-HD playback, decoding, etc and supports the 5:4 deblocking required for it.

See bottom of: http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo.html

Some of the above posts are from fanboys, most of whom have never even loaded Vista on their own computers. :roll:

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I have run vista on the following setup, and it runs flawlessly and really quite quick
AMD 3000+ oc to 2580 MHZ
2 GB DDR400 RAM
120 GB HDD
128 MB Geforce 660GT card

This is the beta test (yes I am an official windows vista beta, not a non official one :wink: )

and its runs fine

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I have run vista on the following setup, and it runs flawlessly and really quite quick
AMD 3000+ oc to 2580 MHZ
2 GB DDR400 RAM
120 GB HDD

This is the beta test (yes I am an official windows vista beta, not a non official one :wink: )

and its runs fine
Yes but you have 2g's of RAM. Not many people have that, I myself have 1 gig. As a matter of fact not many people have ONE gig...

KingGreatYat

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
AMD 3000+ oc to 2580 MHZ
2 GB DDR400 RAM
120 GB HDD

and its runs fine

I have had it running on just such a setup, except with only 1 GB of RAM and stock CPU.
I have to say that aero looked gorgeous and I felt that the GUI was more responsive than XP. Can't say that I looked at the memory usage though.

It is inevitable that you will need more RAM in the future, I think that 1GB is prob enough really. Realistically, for a better experience 2-4GB will be better. Of course this all comes down to your usage.

I'm planning to start with 2GB next year when I next upgrade and move to 4GB when DX10 games become more common. Plus my girlfriend will kill me if I spend all that cash at once! :wink:

Proletariat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Isn't anyone else just a little bit angry at how Microsoft is once again tiering markets that shouldn't be tiered (see: XBox 360 core system).
Two versions of XP was enough; why do we need five versions of an OS so bloated it has higher system requirements than Half-Life 2?
There shouldn't be a question as to whether or not any system made in the past 3-4 could run the next friggin OPERATING SYSTEM.
Maybe I'm the only one that sees the problem with this, but I've finally come to accept that if I can't run FEAR at maxed settings, at least I can have the same OS as the next guy. Even that is about to change...

This is absurd, if only I could run my games in Linux.

>steps down off soapbox<

Actually there wasn't only 2 versions of WinXP. Let's list them:
Home - Pro - Pro 64-bit - You're Not Rich Edition - Media Center.

They're not getting confused, they already were when designing the Vista lineup. It is, however, a good thing for consumers who don't have to buy a more expensive system than what they'd need.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to be able to buy a 'Basic' edition, and, say, pay extra for modules you may require later: YNRE to Home: pay 100 to be able to open more than 3 softwares at a time, Home to Pro, pay 40 bucks for AD and FS per-user settings, Media Center: add some more over Home. That way one could taylor his/her system to what would be needed.

Wait. I just described Lindows Click'n'Run.

While Vista SHOULD, IN THEORY run better than XP on their minimum configs due to the use of accelerated 3D interface rendering instead of GDI32 and GDI+ - which would indeed provide a SIGNIFICANT boost even with low-level hardware, you have to be named Action_Man and have a rig Vista does like, otherwise it will be MUCH slower - even on a rig that exceeds the minimum requirements.

Now we'll see if M$ can actually deliver a not-too-buggy Vista once it's out of beta.