Your question

CPU instalation problem

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
April 1, 2006 3:22:19 AM

Hey guys,
I have a Dell Dimension 8200, which uses the 850e motherboard.
The top CPU this motherboard can handle is the 3.06 GHz Pentium 4.
I recently got one from a friend, and after installing it, the PC starts, goes into the Phoenix BIOS screen, beeps about ten times in a row, and shows a mesage that says "No timer tick interrupt" and stays there...pressing any key does nothing....so what´s the problem....I replace my original chi and everything´s OK with this one....but what can it be?
Upon closer inspection of the new CPU it has one of the little brass conectors missing, and another is kind of twisted...it this the cause of the problem? can it be fixed, or is my new procesor screwed? 8O

More about : cpu instalation problem

April 1, 2006 3:35:42 PM

The old CPU is OK, I replaced it right away and everythings ok...but about the other CPU whats the problem? is the BIOS of my motherboard not good for it, or is it the chip itself?
April 1, 2006 3:45:42 PM

If you have a photo of the new CPU it would help a lot, thanks.
Related resources
April 2, 2006 5:23:43 AM

So you think the problem is from the BIOS...sounds like a good idea, I`ll give it a shot
April 2, 2006 6:39:44 AM

Didnt work, the new bios didnt fix anything
April 2, 2006 4:11:27 PM

There are companies out there that can fix broken and bent pins on CPU's and are very cheap to do it. As the service manager for Compucare I have have sent folks to these companies and they have been able to fix them for around 20 bucks, I just don't remember the companies names.
April 2, 2006 4:24:04 PM

In some cases, I could see doing that. If say you had an FX60 processor, then yes, saving it would be a high priority. If it were me and I had an older processor that was broken, that would be an excuse for me to build a new machine. :D 
!