When I boot up a System 32 window pops up. I can x out
of it but it's bothersome to get rid of it constantly.
How can I fix it?

Mike W.

Mike W. wrote:
> When I boot up a System 32 window pops up. I can x out
> of it but it's bothersome to get rid of it constantly.
> How can I fix it?
>
> Mike W.

This can be fixed with the utility from MVP Kelly's website.

Go to the following link and scroll down to Line 260, right side. Click the
"Sytem32 folder opens upon boot" link to download the script file. Double
click the file to run.

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

Hi Mike,

Please see:

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

Also, start/run msconfig, and see if there is a line that loads /L:ENG. It
comes from a SoundBlaster Audigy driver, and it can cause this problem as
well. If it exists, use the registry fix from MVP Kelly:

Line 260 on the right:

It's far easier than mucking about in the registry. The problem can also be
caused by other incorrectly built registry strings. So, if the first two
steps don't help you, could you please export and post the contents of these
keys in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this one
at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit, it
should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response to
this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
examination.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/