Building New gaming system, need help and suggestions

These are parts from NewEgg.com. Suggestions on what to add or change for a fast complete/functional gaming system would help.

Also wondering if any cables are needed for the raptor harddrive ? If so which type

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: A8N32-SLI Deluxe
$209.99 $209.99

Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: PC-65B
$125.00 $125.00

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)
PLEXTOR 18X DVD±R DVD Burner included Replaceable beige front bezel Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model PX-760A/SW BL - Retail
Model #: PX-760A/SW BL
$109.99 $109.99

Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset)
Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-P0114 120mm Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
Model #: CL-P0114
$53.99 $53.99

Internal Hard Drives
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD1500AHFD
$349.99 $349.99

Memory - System
CORSAIR XMS PRO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX2048-3200PRO - Retail
Model #: TWINX2048-3200PRO
$249.00 $249.00

Monitors - LCD
SAMSUNG 740B Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail
Model #: 740b-Black
$229.99 $229.99

Power Supplies
ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT ATX12V 620W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: ELT620AWT
$174.99 $174.99

Processors
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA4800CDBOX
$630.00 $630.00

Video Cards
Update SAPPHIRE 100150SR Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
14 answers Last reply
More about building gaming system suggestions
  1. Hi, I run a computer hardware website and this is apparently one of the most common questions I get asked.

Here is an article which tells you how to build a GREAT gaming PC with just $1000. One thing you will learn is that you don't have to accept poor components just because you have a low budget.

http://www.build-your-own-computers.com/build-a-gaming-pc.html

But do make sure you go for a quality retailer. You want a retailer that has a wide variety of computer parts and excellent good customer service.
  2. If you have a big budget, that will be a great system. All I'd do is switch the motherboard to a Crossfire one, and save some $$$ by getting a 74GB Raptor and a 250GB drive. And how about getting a 19-inch monitor?
  3. For a system thatwill be 98% as fast in games for FAR less money, I'd recommend the following minor changes....

Change the mainboard to a non-SLI version, saving nearly $100...

Opt instead for an Opty 175 or X2-4200...the loss of 200 Mhz will save you at least $200, but only cost you only 1-2 fps in most modern gaming titles...

I agree with other poster; if you want fast load times, get a single 74 gb Raptor (which, although fast, still only saves 2-3 seconds off of boot time and game load times), and a larger 250-300gb unit for storage... (www.outpost.com had 200gb SATA units for $69 yesterday)

Save another $100 by pting for a 1900XT over XTX...95-98% as fast for $100 less...

The $400 or so saved overall wil very lkely pay for your next video card a year from now...

Enjoy!
  4. I'd save some cash on the dvd burner also. I'm looking at the ASUS 16x (also 5x dvd ram) for $43 at Newegg. 17" LCDs have a max resolution of 1280x1024, about half what your vid card is capable of. I also agree with going for the A8R32-MVP crossfire board ($186 @Newegg) for better compatability. But what do I know?
    Good Luck
  5. From the parts u picking then it seems that cost is not a problem and the first thing u would like is a bigger tft atleast 19" the diffrence in $ is wery low but going from 17" to 19" is a wery big step.

Also MB why SLI when u going with an ATI gfx?
    Go for a non SLI and for the XT instead of the XTX

Or change the MB to a ATI SLI(what the now called them) board or go for the one u picked with nvidia gfx

Also if you want to OC (and the parts suggest this)then go for a cheaper CPU and clock it. U prob still will get to the same Mhz at the end (2.5-2.8+MHz). As already suggested
  6. My thoughts exactly - you should get a CrossFire mobo if you want to go with the ATI video cards.
  7. Right, great system, but you can make the system cheaper without sacrificing too much on performance... here are my recommendations:

Mobo: Go for a Asus A8R32-MVP (for dual 16x PCI-e crossfire) or the A8R-MVP (For normal crossfire), and you'll be able to go crossfire with your ATI card and also save money.

Processor: An Opteron 165 or X2 4200+ will be sufficient, if you are up for some OCing. I have the latter, OCed a little, and it runs like a dream. If you really want the extra cache but don't mind clock-speeds and OCing, go for the Opteron.

PSU: Save yourself money with the Hiper Type-R 580W Modular PSU. Its cheaper than the Enermax and just as good. Will handle an SLI/Crossfire system with ease.

DVD-Burner: Get the NEC ND4550 or ND4570. Both are amazing DVD burners and they are much cheaper.

And finally, the GFX card: Get a X1900XT... not a XTX. The XT can be OCed to XTX speeds easily, and with a third party cooler, be pushed further. Besides, its quite a bit cheaper and performs nearly as well as the XTX.

Here's my recommendations, hope it helps...
  8. Given your "high-end" choices I will assume that pinching pennies is not an issue.
    ATI cards work well with NVidia chipsets, BUT dual cards will not run in SLI mode. You need a Crossfire mobo to do that, if and when you want to.
    As other posters have mentioned, change 1 of your components to match the one you really want:
    a) A8N32-SLI Deluxe + 7900... video
    b) X1900... + A8R32-MVP
    c) X1900... + A8N-E (non-SLI nF4 Ultra board) Many of good choices here.
    You will get all the hard drive cables you need with the motherboard and power supply you buy.
    Newegg.com IS a quality retailer.
    You will NEVER regret getting a bigger monitor.
    Gaming mouse: Logitech G5 (or G7 wireless) ROCKS!
  9. I have a G5.. its AMAZING.. highly recommend it to anyone!
  10. Get a 19" or larger sized monitor. I cannot imagine you would want to spend that much money on hardware, only to be constrained by a 17" monitor at 1024x768. Your system would be able to handle up to a 1600x1200 native resolution in games, which would require a 20.1" or 21" LCD, so don't waste it on an itty-bitty screen.
  11. I agree. A 19 inch LCD monitor is getting commonplace these days. While 17-inch LCD's might be the most popular monitor size on the market, the larger 19-inch LCDs are making large strides in development. Increasing performance and reduced prices are making many start to consider screens that provide a larger and easier to read screen over the 17-inch models.
  12. ROFL... A Mac is not for playing games... which is one of the criteria that he wants for his pc.... a mac gamer... haha... :lol:
  13. Even you would enjoy playing games with this G5!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104191
    :wink:
  14. Quote:
    ROFL... A Mac is not for playing games... which is one of the criteria that he wants for his pc.... a mac gamer... haha... :lol:

i remember playing a RPG on a mac , but that was when i was in 6th grade

dam im a nerd 8O
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product