Sign in with
Your question

Help!! Trying to build a Workstation and a Gaming PC as well

Last response: in CPUs
April 1, 2006 10:58:02 AM

I'm tired of using a sluggish PC, I'm have an existing Intel 845G chipset and a Pentium Northwood core at 2.6GHZ. :oops: 

I mainly use programs in editing videos, sound, pics, CG and CAD and planning to generate new graphics through NVIDIA gellato. Most of all I want to gain decent frame rates on this next gen games such as ES IV Oblivion.

I'm trying to switch sides from intel to AMD coz, according to most benchmarks, AMD's dual core processors outperform Intel's Pentium Ds in almost all apps and games.

Last question which of the following AMD dual cores will I purchase, the AMD Opteron line up or AMD Athlon X2s :roll:

:arrow: PS.
is it worthy to wait the conroe or AM2s along with the new G80 and R600 which supports DX10. :roll:
April 1, 2006 3:28:10 PM

Hi,

I reckon that the AMD Athlon X2s are your choice.
April 2, 2006 4:20:27 AM

My budget is Ranging From US$1000 to US$2000
Related resources
April 2, 2006 4:27:26 AM

AM2 is not worth waiting for. Conroe may be, if you can put off your purchase for 6 to 9 months. (buying new tech before it's tried and tested is not my idea of smart)
If you want a workstation setup today, go the opteron route. They are great performers. I would suggest the s939 variant, as ECC ram is not that important to you, and desktop 939 boards are top notch.
April 2, 2006 4:46:27 AM

BTW what's the advantage of having an ECC Registered memory modules? :roll:
April 2, 2006 4:50:00 AM

ECC is error correction. The A64s do not suffer too badly from a mem mistake, so it's not important for Amd workstations.
April 2, 2006 5:00:25 AM

Quote:
BTW what's the advantage of having an ECC Registered memory modules? :roll:

Both parity and ECC (Error Correcting Code) are forms of error detection for memory modules. Parity is a simple form of error detection that adds an extra bit for every 8 bits on a memory module. :p 

This extra bit records whether there is an even or odd number of 1's registered in the 8 bits. If they don't match, then an error has been detected within the memory. ECC is a more advanced form of error detection that goes beyond the single parity bit and can actually handle error correction. Most consumer level computers do not specifically use parity or ECC modules.
April 2, 2006 5:27:04 AM

I'd recommend:

An Opteron 1xx Dual Core CPU or X2

A decent Dual Channel kit ( 1 - 2 GB )

A 7900GT

An Antec TPII 550

Good luck :-D
April 2, 2006 7:06:31 AM

AMD Opteron 64 165
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2GB (1GBx2) OCZ Gold PC3200
ATI Radeon x1900XT
2 Hitachi Deskstar 80GB SATA2 in RAID 0

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 2, 2006 7:10:58 AM

I heard that ASUS boards sucks when it comes to warranty
April 2, 2006 7:13:17 AM

Quote:
I heard that ASUS boards sucks when it comes to warranty

ASUS boards suck all together...but I was hoping you didn't know that....I was gonna say get a DFI LanParty but not sure how you'd react...anyways...yea...get a DFI LanParty nF4, any model is good.

April 2, 2006 7:19:06 AM

DFI boards are nice, kinda weird but unique layout. do u know some issues about these boards?
April 2, 2006 7:22:14 AM

Quote:
DFI boards are nice, kinda weird but unique layout. do u know some issues about these boards?

You can't be a newbie and expect to get it to work...that's about it.

April 2, 2006 7:34:24 AM

a 7900GT on SLI or a single 7900GTX? which is a better buy?
April 2, 2006 8:56:44 AM

A single card is better. Whether 7900GT or GTX is better than SLI.

SLI offers about 30% more performance for 2x the price.
April 2, 2006 9:05:33 AM

so, get the GTX then instead putting two 7900GTs right?
April 2, 2006 9:24:57 AM

If it is within your budget, then yes.

Otherwise a single 7900GT will work just fine.
April 2, 2006 9:47:33 AM

Quote:
I would suggest the s939 variant, as ECC ram is not that important to you, and desktop 939 boards are top notch.

The Opterons on Socket 939 support ECC, they just don't need the more expensive Registered DIMMs (which can be ECC or Non-ECC aswell, just like Unbuffered DIMMs). Registered DIMMs are good for scaling above 4 DIMM slots and using ultra high capacity DRAM chips on the DIMMs. That's all.

The higher the quantity of RAM, the higher the chance of a memory error occuring. Since there is more RAM. Back in the days of 2 - 64 MB RAM, they removed parity, some even used fake parity sticks when a chipset required it, to save costs on machines.

As typical home machines go from 2 - 4 GB and beyond, to 8 GB+ per machine, having ECC will become far more important than it is today.

Registered DIMMs was one way to scale memory counts higher (servers with 8+ GB have existed for many years now), as electrical signals become weaker the further they need to travel. (and yes, that includes going from 5 cm traces to 10 cm traces on the memory bus for example). Registered DIMMs also add a transparent CAS Latency tick (CL+1) which is negative for performance, (but I'd rather have an entire database in RAM with CL+1 than have it need to go to disk) and the DIMMs and core logic costs more.

Thus if you only require 4 GB in a mini-server the Opteron 100 series on Socket 939 is a fine choice.

AMDs approach memory controller, integrated memory controller or not, is sensitive to memory errors. (eg: MemTest86+ patterns 5 and 8 are more likely to fail on a poorly setup AMD machine, than a poorly setup Intel machine, This is a good thing though as it makes faults & misconfigurations easier to detect). With crappy RAM it will be more likely to have problems than its Intel counterpart, however they'll both experience problems with crappy RAM regardless.

8)

More information can be found at the AMD Opteron 100 Series Processors FAQ:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
April 2, 2006 11:50:31 AM

thanks guys, so will I go for the Opty 165 rather than the X2 4400+?
April 2, 2006 12:11:31 PM

Does it make a difference ?

http://www.amdcompare.com

Tip: Bear in mind price differences, aswell as heatsink differences in your choice. Aswell as the more obvious 'base technical' differences.

EDIT: Christ get the Athlon 64 X2 4400+, it is clocked +22% higher and has exactly the same cache, and is based on exactly the same CPU revision / stepping. They even come in a < 90 watt version now.
April 2, 2006 12:30:06 PM

Quote:
thanks guys, so will I go for the Opty 165 rather than the X2 4400+?

Yeah, the Opty 165 Is a Server So it'll give ya the server capabilities and the server dedication. any other CPU line wont give you the endurance or the stability.
April 2, 2006 1:29:45 PM

It is also only clocked 80% as high, might cost more, and has exactly the same quanity of cache. :p 

The Athlon 64 X2 4400+ wins that hands down.
April 2, 2006 2:46:55 PM

when you OC it to 2.2GHZ, would you able to see the performance gap between them?
April 2, 2006 3:24:12 PM

Quote:
I'm tired of using a sluggish PC, I'm have an existing Intel 845G chipset and a Pentium Northwood core at 2.6GHZ. :oops: 

I mainly use programs in editing videos, sound, pics, CG and CAD and planning to generate new graphics through NVIDIA gellato. Most of all I want to gain decent frame rates on this next gen games such as ES IV Oblivion.

I'm trying to switch sides from intel to AMD coz, according to most benchmarks, AMD's dual core processors outperform Intel's Pentium Ds in almost all apps and games.

Last question which of the following AMD dual cores will I purchase, the AMD Opteron line up or AMD Athlon X2s :roll:

:arrow: PS.
is it worthy to wait the conroe or AM2s along with the new G80 and R600 which supports DX10. :roll:

The rig I have in my sig will do you great for just under $2000
April 3, 2006 12:31:42 AM

Quote:
AMD Opteron 64 165
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2GB (1GBx2) OCZ Gold PC3200
ATI Radeon x1900XT
2 Hitachi Deskstar 80GB SATA2 in RAID 0

Am I missing something? Isn't that a board for a GeForce, wit an ATI card? Or can you use ATI with the SLI mobo?
April 3, 2006 1:26:40 AM

u cant still put ati graphics cards on nforce based chipset boards but you can't do crossfire on it.

there are two types of X24400+ the 110w and the 90, while the opteron 165 has an 110w. what does this imply? :?:

yes I know that when u have a larger wattage, u need a higher PSU wattage requirement and when u oc with a high wattage CPU, more heat is produced as u adjust the VCORE.
!