Is this a good power supply

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-163.html

I plan on using it on a system I'm building. It will consist of an AMD Opty 165, WD 250GB SATA 3.0 HDD 7200RPM, 7900GT video card, AN832 SLi Deluxe MB with heat pipe, 2GB Corsair XMS RAM and two Lite On optical drives, one being a dual layer burner in a Thermaltake Armor Series case. I may later upgrade to another identical video card and hard drive in a RAID setup(?) and add a Zalman 9500 LED fan to O/C if I choose to go that route. I know this is a mouthful but I just want to make sure it will run the system without ANY stability issues. Also, critique the system and if you'd like, leave recommendations. I will game and do ripping/burning my dvd collection with this setup.

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Thanks for all the replies. The only thing I'd like (options) is that it have modular cables, be black in color to match the case and provide good stable power. Any other recommendations?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
The OCZ design is far superior, imho:
those pots belong at the rear panel,
because there is no need to change
them often (only once, actually).

It depends. Adding new components with significant load can cause voltages to vary. So can changes in the ambient air temp. Still, I agree in general - these are not voltages that require regular tweakage.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
The 7900 GT is the first in Nvidia's series of graphics ships based on their new 90nm technology resulting in a die that is only 196 sqmm. By comparison the ATI X1800XL (which is the closest competitor to the 7900 GT) - I'd go for the 7900GT.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
As a general rule, we emphasize the
"Garbage In/Garbage Out" maxim.

So, we begin with a reliable UPS
e.g. APC Back-UPS XS 1200 or better,
then the best PSU we can afford,
followed by an excellent motherboard
e.g. ASUS and quality RAM e.g. Corsair.

By the time the Direct Current reaches
the CPU and RAM, this emphasis greatly
improves reliability and prolongs the life
of all other components because they are
isolated from damaging transients.

Sad to say, I learned some of those lessons the hard way. These days I follow the same general plan. Stable supply voltage is a beautiful thing. Quality surge protection = peace of mind.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I was going to get the same myself - looks really nice. However, it did fail in the THG Stress Test due to being out of specification.

I then decided on a Tagan TG580-U15

After that, they sent Tom a revised version, which fixed that problem.

Also, if you like modular powersupplies, I'm lookinh at getting the Enermax 620W Liberty. Unfortunately, it's very popular and I need to wait until someone gets more stock in.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Also, if you like modular powersupplies, I'm lookinh at getting the Enermax 620W Liberty. Unfortunately, it's very popular and I need to wait until someone gets more stock in.

That's what I have and so far, so good. Note that the ATX cable on the Liberty is not modular, but that's OK.

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
the enermax liberty 620 will do, but dont u think its a little too much for ur system. id say u need like a 480watt antec truepower. but for sli id go fr the powerstream 520 by ocz. wow that one has modular cables, and its peak is more than 600 watts!!!!

ATI's new AVIVO tech in their cards has a serious impact on reducing encoding/decoding times. You should take a serious look at their cards. X1900GTO/XL are supposed to be out in April and it appears that ATi is squashing their paper launches. I would say it is worth the research and maybe a little wait...your decision.