OCZ Gold ddr500 with Asus A8R32-MVP for Overclocking

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
This is for my new build
2GB kit as above, Opteron 170, air cooling with Vapochill Micro.
Nothing is bought yet, but I'm firm on the mobo and HSF.
Will ddr500 be overkill for what I will be able to OC on air?
Thanks

mfurse

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Depends what you want to do. I run my opty 170 @ 2.6Ghz (260Mhz HT) stable, on air, at stock volts. But with the memory @ 1:1 i.e. DDR 520 or 260Mhz as well.

You can overclock with the memory on a different divider (5/4, 9/10) and I would suggest this to first find what the overclock limit of your processor, before upping the memory frequency.

If you want to run memory and HT synchronously (1:1), resulting in a lot of memory bandwidth, then get the OCZ kit, with looser timings I think it will probably even go above DDR500.

If they memory wont, and your processor will go above 250Mhz, then you may have to run it at a divider anyway - 5/4 or something similar, but will still have a lot of bandwidth!

It has been proven over at dfi-street.com that memory bandwidth (running the overclock 1:1) does not produce as high performance as clocking the CPU higher and running a divider if it will do i.e. if your CPU will do 2.8Ghz on a divider, memory @ 200mhz or summit, then that config will be quicker than running the cpu and memory @ 260mhz to produce 2.6Ghz.

Just play around, I'm sure the OCZ won't let you down. Just mind the wierd quirkyness of the A8R32-MVP for overclocking. It needs to be powered off cold for some settings like the HTT to take properly.

Matt

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I'd probably be pleased with 2.6. If you have any reviews or experience with vapochill micro, I'd like to see it. I haven't turned up alot of info, but what I've seen looks promising - 150W heat disapation. I'll look into the arctic cooling though.
Thanks