What's the best way to spend 4K over the next 1-2 years?

dangerous_squid

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Okay, open-ended question, I know. But I've been researching for weeks now and it's driving me crazy. I want a nice computer for now definitely, but don't want to spend so much it limits my future budget. Are there any big technologies out there to be aware of? And is it true that the less I spend now, the more value I'm getting over 2 years, no matter what?

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
I'd look out for the following technologies:

1) Quad SLI or an CrossFire equivalent
2) Media Center PCs
3) Huge LCD screens
4) Crazy fast video cards

Your 4K would be well spent on those.

RichPLS

Champion
If you can wait, by October and November I expect Conroe will be flooding the market place, benchmarks will be know for sure, and if priced low as predicted, then or shortly after will be the best buyers market for PC's in a long while. Especially come January.
You will have Conroe at 3GHz+, DX-10 video cards, full HDTV support, 30" LCD displays will be cheaper (hopefully closing in on the $1000 mark), Raptors will be SATAII, Vista will be out, and you can buy it all with 4k then that should keep you happy for next 3 to 4 years.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I'm with you.
Put it in a fund, or at least some CDs. That way you can afford the new processors cloned out of monkey brains, or maybe buy a jetpack.

supremelawfirm

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Ah, perchance to dream (for a change)!

CONSTANT CHANGE IS HERE TO STAY!! :)

I would do a lot of planning (as usual), and
start with these assumptions (which can easily change
tomorrow):

(1) ASUS P5WDG2-WS motherboard:
i975X chipset/8-phase power subsystem

(2) buy a cheap socket 775 CPU
if you want to begin development now,
e.g. 64-bit Intel 640 w/ SpeedStep
to support Windows x64 (AND
wait for Conroe);

(3) Corsair XMS-UL DDR2-800 / PC2-6400
dual-channel memory 2 x 1 GB matched pair;

(4) early on, install an Areca PCI-E
RAID controller with RAID-6 in hardware:
that will give you the ultimate in flexible
storage subsystems;

(5) begin with 1 x 150 GB Raptor for
the C: system partition, and
1 x 400 GB Western Digital WD4000YR
for storage; then, do your homework
and go for a massive multi-disk RAID,
either using the Intel chipset or
the Areca;

(6) budget $500 or so for a dream
video card (the world at your doorstep :)

Not far down the road, Conroe will
be shipping, and vertical recording
will also be available on SATA HDDs.

THUS, IF YOU START BUYING NOW,
BE SURE YOU BUY HARDWARE THAT
WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH THIS
FUTURE THAT IS RIGHT AROUND THE
CORNER!!

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/

"30" LCD displays will be cheaper (hopefully closing in on the $1000 mark), "

I hope you are not referring to the Dell 3007, currently at $2200, are ya? :)

(Many other 30" LCD's are much more suited to TV vs. the Dell's 2560x1600 capability)

Assuming any gaming is in store, you could build a perfectly nice rig now for about $1200 (x2-4200, nf4, 7900GT), then simply replace the video card in one year with next generation for $400 more....; if Conroe is indeed much faster, you could opt for one of them, although it would mean jumping to DDR2, a new mb..

Phyics cards will be coming soon as well, around $200...

But whatever you choose,,,,,don;t spend all $4k now..!

RichPLS

Champion
Buy an
Asus (975x) P5WD2-E Premium mobo or Gigabyte GA-G1 (975x) and a
Intel 820 or 830 CPU now, (then in 4 to 6 months replace it with a Conroe CPU, sell current one),
Corsair TWIN(2X1024) matched pair - 8500/ 1067MHz dual-channel memory 2 x 1 GB, (Later add Areca PCI-X RAID controller with RAID-6 when migrating to RAID), 1 x 150 GB Raptor, 1 x 400 GB Western Digital WD4000YR, HiS X1900-xt video card, Plextor SATA PX-755SA DVD±R/RW, Fortron Epsilon 600 or 700 watt PSU, Lian Li PC-V1000B plus or your preference.

dangerous_squid

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
So Intel will be the way of the future most likely? When's AMD supposed to launch their comeback cpu anyway?

I need a new computer right now (I'm running a P3 256RAM, cannot game), but I'm also looking to the future, hopefully so I won't be replacing everything by next year. I wanna know what new techs to look out for basically.

To all those who told me to save my 4k. Yes, I have most of my money invested. I'm not commited to spending x amount of $ over y years, I'm just curious what the best action would be. Maybe I'll spend 4k over the next 4 years or 6 months :roll: , it all depends on the future and what I need out of my computer.

johngoodwin

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
My advice would be to resist the crazy urge to play the latest video games, get a console if you *must* game, and consider getting $1k or under systems which can game on 2-3 yr old games

In a short time, there will be a nice plateau with dual core being more prominent (or even quad core), lower power use, virtualization, and other nice benefits.

Basically, if you don't spend a lot on your computer it will be easier to get your investment back. Computers depreciate faster than cars.

My advice on component shopping:

1) 1-2GB RAM
2) Decent processor for under $300
3) Decent single hard drive
4) Some backup/recovery software with bootable recovery media
5) $200 or under video card.

Chances are, if you can resist latest and greatest gaming, you can buy $1k computers, still have NICE computers, and buy one now, one in say 2 yrs, one in 5 yrs, then maybe every 5 yrs there after.

Just my two cents

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
You will have Conroe at 3GHz+, DX-10 video cards, full HDTV support, 30" LCD displays will be cheaper (hopefully closing in on the $1000 mark), Raptors will be SATAII, Vista will be out, and you can buy it all with 4k then that should keep you happy for next 3 to 4 years.

If Raptors will be SATAII soon, How will that be better than the Raptors now? Just the interface?

Also, when is the next big Intel chipset change? I don't see anything on this .(I'm going off on a tangent)
Thanks!

RichPLS

Champion
My advice again...

If you need now, buy now and utilize your money to the best value for a powerful next gen system.
Asus (975x) P5WD2-E Premium mobo or Gigabyte GA-G1 (975x) and a
Intel 820 or 830 or 920 CPU now, (then in 4 to 6 months replace it with a Conroe CPU, sell current one),
Corsair TWIN(2X1024) matched pair - 8500/ 1067MHz dual-channel memory 2 x 1 GB, (Later add Areca PCI-X RAID controller with RAID-6 when migrating to RAID), 1 x 150 GB Raptor, 1 x 400 GB Western Digital WD4000YR, HiS X1900-xt video card, Plextor SATA PX-755SA DVD±R/RW, Fortron Epsilon 600 or 700 watt PSU, Lian Li PC-V1000B plus or your preference.

That Processor you buy with your system today will be low mid range but dual core and only cost around $200.
Use this system and processor to familiarize yourself with the BIOS and overclockablity of the system, and these CPU's are good overclockers now.
Then in 6 months, a couple of months will have passed since Conroe's release and prices will stabilize and be a bit cheaper too, buy a Conroe at 2x 2.66GHz for $500 and reuse all other hardware in already acquired.
Also, by then you will be familiar and comfortable with overclocking your PC, which you apply once again to this new CPU which will be an even better overclocker than previous chip.

You can even sell your old CPU on eBay or to a friend getting back better than half your cost, making the interim transition PC a wise investment.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
this is way easy about $300 for an apple IIc and $3700 on four pounds of weed, Smoke the dope while on the pc this way you just think you have a kick a55 system

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Best way to spend $4,000:
Tell everyone you're vacationing in Vegas.
Go to Carson City instead. Rent a car. Head east on Highway 50. About eight miles, you'll find Kitty's Ranch (near The New Sagebrush Ranch and Kit Kat Ranch).
If she's still there, ask for Beth.

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I'm confused. Is that a "surprised look" smiley face or a "angry, offended that's something you shouldn't have said" smiley face?