Sign in with
Your question

Possible Video Card problems?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2006 4:09:34 PM

I bought a Geforce 7800GT about 3 months ago. I never really put it to the test until just recently. I've been playing WoW without problems but decided to install F.E.A.R. I see a lot of artifacts and I thought it was the quality being to high. I lowered it and I still saw artifacts. I thought nothing of it since F.E.A.R. is a graphic intense game. I just installed Civ4 and I am seeing the same thing. Does this mean I have a defective video card?

More about : video card problems

April 2, 2006 12:10:41 AM

what's the brand of the card and did you install latest drivers?
April 2, 2006 12:11:28 AM

What's your motherboard? But I think it's probably a video card problem. Update the drivers. :p 
Related resources
April 2, 2006 5:49:20 PM

what are your system specs hellrazor, and exactly which 7800 do you own (brand and type). also the clock speeds you are running it at and the driver version.

the anomolies you are experiencing could just be game specific since you don't have the problem everywhere. downloading and applying the patches for your problem game(s) may solve all of your issues.

after doing that you could try installing different driver versions. make sure the games are up-to-date first to make isolating the problem easier.
April 5, 2006 12:18:56 AM

Lets see, system specs....
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
eVGA 7800GT core:470mhz mem:1100mhz
Athlon 64 3200
Kingston 1g dual channel 3200
500watt psu
WD raptor 74g

I believe I have the latest drivers but I'm about to check. Just to make sure once you get up to the 7800GTX, those are seperate driver correct? There is an option for geforce and tnt2, and then there is one for 7800GTX. Anyways, all the game patches are up to date I know that. I just bought AoE3 and so far no problems.
April 6, 2006 8:55:58 PM

You could have damaged your card by playing fear at max settings. Thats waht happened to my 9800xt, overclocked it a bit started playing NFS MW on max settings and all I knew was that my system had resarted. Tried playin the same game, artifacts, played B.I.A-E.I.B, artifacts, played c&c zero hour, artifacts, so I was pretty much screwed :( 
April 10, 2006 5:02:44 PM

I have never ran F.E.A.R. in max settings. I updated drivers and the game still does it. I play BF2 and nothing like that happend. I think it has something to do with the lighting in the game. You think I should consider returning the card if I can?
April 10, 2006 5:07:47 PM

Use RivaTuner 2 And Set Your Graphic Card Clocks To 400/1000 & Then Test Again , Maybe Lack Of Power Supply , Try To Use Default Setting In F.E.A.R. & See What Happen ... Maybe You Damage Your Card ... Maybe Not ... Lots Of Possibility :evil: 
April 10, 2006 6:01:06 PM

I believe I have the latest drivers but I'm about to check. Just to make sure once you get up to the 7800GTX, those are seperate driver correct? There is an listing for geforce and tnt2, and then there is one for 7800GTX. Anyways, all the game patches are up to date I know that. I just bought AoE3 and so far no problems.[/quote]

HellRazor:

No, the 7800GTX drivers are NOT separate drivers as you are thinking. I believe you are looking at the driver listing on the nVidia website and seeing the GeForce Go 7800 GTX listing ... the "Go" version is drivers for portables / mobile setups and not desktops.

For the normal desktop video card(s) setup (including the GeForce 7800GTX), you want to select "GeForce and TNT2" drivers from the middle list and in the right list select your OS. Current version of the GeForce XP drivers that you need is 84.21 while the Go drivers that you don't want are version 81.94 at present.

Hope this helps sort that part out. And I am running F.E.A.R flawlessly at max settings with these newest drivers on ny 7800 GTX SLI setup, so I'd think you should no be seeing artifacts. with these drivers either.
April 11, 2006 4:36:34 AM

Do some checking on posts on the ASRock board. it is known to have some problems sometimes with the GART drivers. I have one but use a PCIE card and just remember seeing some comments in OCWorkbench I think.
!