Sign in with
Your question

Broken pins on Athlon 64 X2 4400

Last response: in CPUs
April 1, 2006 4:43:06 PM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400

I really need help. I broke off four pins off the top right sides of my processor (pins 2,3,4) can this be fixed?

Thanks
April 1, 2006 4:49:59 PM

good luck!
April 1, 2006 5:01:08 PM

8O 8O 8O

OUCH! Dunno if it's possible, but some really expert soldering might save you.....
Related resources
April 1, 2006 5:21:21 PM

Thanks guys.
April 2, 2006 1:18:17 AM

Are the pins just bent or are they chopped off ?

If the pins are bent, just straighten them using a mechanical pencil, make sure that you don't leave behind any graphite dust, a blow of compressed air will do the trick.

If you chopped them off, may I ask what you were trying to do ?

I don't think that soldering would be an option, the heat will most likely damage the fine traces running through the packaging, window defogger repair kits may work but I don't know if that stuff has enough mechanical strenght.

You could look for electrically conductive "cold weld" products but finding them on the local market will be like a quest for the holy grail.
April 2, 2006 1:20:14 AM

Chopped off. I was trying to install the heat sink when I pulled off the heat sink the processor came off with it. I assume with help from the thermal paste.
April 2, 2006 1:49:15 AM

Sheer brute force > CPU

Dum Dum Dum ! Another one bite the dust...

BTW, 2, 3 & 4 on the right side does'nt tell me much, try to locate the pins on the Socket 939 pinout diagram found in chapter 4, page 28 and 29 This document and hope for the missing pins to be No Connects...

EDIT

On closer inspection, only the left side of the AL row is populated with a number of NC pins near a corner, the right side of the AL row is mostly for memory, row A is a mix of memory and voltage related pins while column 1 and 31 are respectively for clock and memory.

Good luck, you'll need it...
April 2, 2006 3:10:46 AM

Quote:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8930&feedId...

they have the perfect solution for you!!!

That's absolutely irrelevant, reattaching pins to the CPU package is done many orders of magnitude above the nanometer scale, any amateur scale modeler would be able to do it if provided with a structurally strong, electrically conductive adhesive like a metal laced, two part epoxy...

Beside, even if girlD6 had access to their lab and technology, asking those scientists to reattach broken pins onto a CPU would be like asking the NASA to fix your lawnmower...
April 2, 2006 3:21:20 AM

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400

I really need help. I broke off four pins off the top right sides of my processor (pins 2,3,4) can this be fixed?

Thanks

Ouch. Sucks to be you. Sorry :( .
April 2, 2006 3:22:19 AM

Quote:
can this be fixed?

yes! Read this. A guy on another forum I use had pretty much exactly the same thing happen, and got it fixed:

1) Broken pin on cpu

2) Broken pins on cpu: FIXED!!!!

His fixed cpu: (I think he re bent one of the fixed pins while taking this picture lol)

Quote:
I now do Processor PIN Repair.

Send the processor safely packed in a box not much larger than the original box (don't use those padded paper envelopes, they don't provide enough protection.)
Include with the processor a money order/cashiers check (cash is ok with me if it's ok with you) for $30.00 + $3.85 for shipping USD
Or use your credit card through PayPal (send PayPal to my e-mail): garyheadlee@att.net
Please, no personal checks.

For 1 to 5 missing pins: $30.00 + $3.85 for shipping USD.
For more than 5 pins E-Mail me for a quote.
If the processor fails to boot there is no charge other than return shipping (if you want the processor back).

http://motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=procrep

:) 
April 2, 2006 3:33:13 AM

Quote:
Beside, even if girlD6 had access to their lab and technology, asking those scientists to reattach broken pins onto a CPU would be like asking the NASA to fix your lawnmower...

c!00c!3....chill out

I asume that there are ways to repair that damage (but not knew of any of them), and I only used that to laguh at it, sometimes you have to smile to not cry

Plus.....I deserved at least a two on my comment evaluation :( 
April 2, 2006 3:49:07 AM

It took me a minute to figure out that it was a joke. I have to admit I did think it was funny.
April 2, 2006 3:54:41 AM

Thank You.
April 2, 2006 3:55:50 AM

Quote:

I asume that there are ways to repair that damage (but not knew of any of them) and I only used that to laguh at it

Bravo ! You reached absolute clulessness !

Suggesting a feta cheese based, dried tomato & basil spread or a mix of peanut butter & bacon grease to mend those pins would have been slightly entertaining, same goes for the one size fits all "Sucks to be you" but linking to an article about an experimental nanotechnology clearly demonstrate how far out of your way you are willing to go to reach the bottom of the human stupidity abyss...
April 2, 2006 4:19:53 AM

Quote:
but linking to an article about an experimental nanotechnology clearly demonstrate how far out of your way you are willing to go to reach the bottom of the human stupidity abyss...

Yes, it's called scientific investigation, in this case the scientist travels down to the last floor of the human inteligence, takes note of what he sees and then returns to the top and shares what he has learned.....making money while doing so....

Seriously, I don't know what 3V1L spirit got you, but chill out!! relax!! take some coffee for God's sake...

Quote:
"It took me a minute to figure out that it was a joke. I have to admit I did think it was funny."

"Thank You."

Np, hope you can fix it

Oh, and SidVicious, I figured out a way to repair it using silver, mercury and some medical instruments, interested on it? It's not as good as your thermal salad nor so yummy, but I think it will work xD
April 2, 2006 4:24:38 AM

Can't an old timer cruelly lash out at a random, unsuspecting victim on april's fool day ?
April 2, 2006 4:26:56 AM

Quote:
Chopped off. I was trying to install the heat sink when I pulled off the heat sink the processor came off with it. I assume with help from the thermal paste.

Repairing the pins will be practically impossible to do.

If the pins that broke are not critical the CPU might still work but don't count on it.
April 2, 2006 4:39:06 AM

Quote:
Bravo ! You reached absolute clulessness !

Well, I'm well on my way but I'm not there yet.
April 2, 2006 4:47:12 AM

Depends, got license?xD

bout my idea, is not that weird, dentists used to fill holes in tooth by pouring inside a paste made of silver (dust) in mercury (liquid), the paste (HIGHLY TOXIC) was put into the hole and then heated, the mercury evaporates and only leaves the silver filling the hole.

If you can make a mold of the missing pins and do this procedure, who knows, it might even work!! but silver resistivity is different than the pin's material.......
April 2, 2006 5:45:04 AM

Quote:
Depends, got license?xD

bout my idea, is not that weird, dentists used to fill holes in tooth by pouring inside a paste made of silver (dust) in mercury (liquid), the paste (HIGHLY TOXIC) was put into the hole and then heated, the mercury evaporates and only leaves the silver filling the hole.

If you can make a mold of the missing pins and do this procedure, who knows, it might even work!! but silver resistivity is different than the pin's material.......

I'd be surprised if there were resistivity issues. Silver is an excellent conductor and it's used in some high-end audio interconnects. It does tarnish but I've read that there are workarounds. Not sure how well silver from a mercury amalgum would work though.
April 2, 2006 6:08:52 AM

A highly qualified tech with years of experience and high end equipment MIGHT be able to do it. Not everyone has access to the equipment required.

Trying to solder something that small and delicate is NOT easy.
April 2, 2006 6:22:26 AM

I would say one tool not mentioned..

A giant magnifying lens, with a light...

Okay... I know I'm getting old and my eye sight isn't as great as it use ta.. :oops: 
April 2, 2006 6:49:25 AM

Quote:
I would say one tool not mentioned..

A giant magnifying lens, with a light...

Okay... I know I'm getting old and my eye sight isn't as great as it use ta.. :oops: 

lol .... hehe :-D

The main problem will be the heat from the soldering iron may destroy the core.

Conductive glue might work but it's still very delicate work.
April 2, 2006 9:34:52 AM

Now that I think about it - my dad also pulled a heatsink off is P4 last year, and the thermal paste tab (stock intel cooler with thermal pad) got stuck to the CPU, he was lucky though, as he only bent a few pins.

I agree, you need highly spealized equipment and a very steady hand to do that type of soldering, IF you can do it without heating up the surface.

Isn't there places nearby her, that fix PC boards? Maybe she can take the gamble and ask them to do a repair?
April 2, 2006 9:55:27 AM

Quote:
Now that I think about it - my dad also pulled a heatsink off is P4 last year, and the thermal paste tab (stock intel cooler with thermal pad) got stuck to the CPU, he was lucky though, as he only bent a few pins.

I agree, you need highly spealized equipment and a very steady hand to do that type of soldering, IF you can do it without heating up the surface.

Isn't there places nearby her, that fix PC boards? Maybe she can take the gamble and ask them to do a repair?

It takes a lot of skill and specialized equipment to do that. It's hard enough to find places that can solder 6 layer boards.

Conductive epoxy may be a better choice.

The problem is the solder or conductive epoxy will not have the same characteristics as the original pins did. I'm not sure what the tolerance level is.

It might be close enough that it works - it's hard to tell.
April 2, 2006 11:25:31 AM

I m wondering if you made the pins a hair bit longer with a soldering iron at the bottem. So they fit in the hole. Then Put the cpu on top of it. and press down. Then use the clamp What this will do is have the no silver or other metal connecting the cpu. So it gold pins with cpu. Small as 1/32 of a inch in the hole. See the solder will bend and flatent out at the bottem . Then hopefully it touching the cpu to make it run.

1 Making sure it the right pin for the same spot. Like a puzzle.
2 use a needle to check for how long you need the pins to be.
3 How to do this. hit the tip of the pin with soldering iron and solder. and move away quick. So it makes like pin longer.
4 Put the pins in the socket. Then the cpu then press it down. Not hard. Just so the chip feel even.
5 then heatsink and such and try the cpu.
April 2, 2006 11:29:08 AM

It's gonna be hard to sodder them pins back and also the melting point of the sodder wire is hot enough and might damage the cpu. You could stick them broken pins in the right socket and place the cpu in and hope you have contact with the broken pins. Or return the cpu and say you got it broken as it is. :D 

That's a very good cpu man. I love my 4800 and I always work with it with delicate handling like a Japanese chef preparing sushi. And that is why AMD is switching to a different thingie like the intel, so that there's no risk of breaking the pins during assembly. :) 

I'm sorry. :( 
April 2, 2006 11:37:14 AM

That why I suggested my idea add a little solder to the pin the point where it gose into the socket. Not on the cpu. So there a hair longer. Twezers. Solder add 1/32 solder to the pin put that point in so it bring the pins up 1/32 of a inch longer. So it gold to gold from pin to chip.
April 2, 2006 2:08:28 PM

Quote:
A highly qualified tech with years of experience and high end equipment MIGHT be able to do it. Not everyone has access to the equipment required.

Trying to solder something that small and delicate is NOT easy.

That's a certainty. One workaround I've done on heat-sensitive areas is to apply solder to the piece that is going to be attached (in this case, a short piece of wire) and add enough to form a small solder ball at the end. Next, make a heat-sink of sorts to put around or near to the heat-sensitive area you're going to solder to. I've used hemostats often, just clipping them to the existing lead, but that probably won't work here. Maybe a small piece of thin metal like copper foil with a hole drilled in it. Using a big hands-free magnifier helps a ton. So, when you're ready to solder the wire on, you heat the wire till you see the solder ball go liquid, then you touch it to the heat-sensitive area. AS SOON as you see it wet the contact, you pull the soldering iron away and blow on the joint to cool it.

Still - someone here mentioned a shop that specializes in this stuff. I'd go that way. Too much risk! Go with the pro. But if you are forced into field-repair mentality, the above has worked real well for me. The mask-with-hole idea also works to catch any solder splatter and that's important when you have many close contacts. Setup time can be slow...
April 2, 2006 2:54:50 PM

Quote:
I'd be surprised if there were resistivity issues. Silver is an excellent conductor and it's used in some high-end audio interconnects. It does tarnish but I've read that there are workarounds. Not sure how well silver from a mercury amalgum would work though.

Who knows, truly silver has a very low resistivity, but still, it's higher than the gold's resisivity (I don`t know if the pins are made of gold or not), so, at a certaing voltage/frequency, not enough electricity gets to the processor in those pins, probably in standard settings will work perfectly, but the OC pottential would go dwon the toilet

And, just like you, don't know if that would work : p
April 2, 2006 4:35:50 PM

Quote:
can this be fixed?

yes! Read this. A guy on another forum I use had pretty much exactly the same thing happen, and got it fixed:

1) Broken pin on cpu

2) Broken pins on cpu: FIXED!!!!

Quote:
I now do Processor PIN Repair.

Send the processor safely packed in a box not much larger than the original box (don't use those padded paper envelopes, they don't provide enough protection.)
Include with the processor a money order/cashiers check (cash is ok with me if it's ok with you) for $30.00 + $3.85 for shipping USD
Or use your credit card through PayPal (send PayPal to my e-mail): garyheadlee@att.net
Please, no personal checks.

For 1 to 5 missing pins: $30.00 + $3.85 for shipping USD.
For more than 5 pins E-Mail me for a quote.
If the processor fails to boot there is no charge other than return shipping (if you want the processor back).

http://motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=procrep

:) 

Thanks for the link. I have been trying to check this guy out. Late last year he had a lot of problems completing and returning items. Do you know where I can any information out about this guy? Thanks.
April 2, 2006 5:41:03 PM

I know it has been done. You can put wires in the socket long enough to touch the pads on the cpu. And don't shake it much after you get it working!
April 2, 2006 5:41:52 PM

oh man, how could you do that? is this some april's fool joke? oh, wait a minute.. april's fool has passed :/ 
April 2, 2006 5:47:32 PM

The broken processor is not the real joke. The real joke is the 11 year old kid who work really hard and earned a new gamming computer. Having to tell my son that he can't have his new computer because I broke the processor is the cruelest joke of all.
April 2, 2006 5:58:01 PM

I would be ever so happy to trade you a Winchester 3200+ for it. :D 
April 2, 2006 6:05:05 PM

Quote:
The broken processor is not the real joke. The real joke is the 11 year old kid who work really hard and earned a new gamming computer. Having to tell my son that he can't have his new computer because I broke the processor is the cruelest joke of all.

Well, I had to paint alone my whole apartment just to get a PSX on 2000...
That reminded me, the dad of a friend's friend bught him an X850GTO when they first came out and said "this is for your new computer son, now let's get the rest of the pieces"...well....he's still waiting xD
April 2, 2006 6:18:07 PM

oh, that's sad... well, but i'm 27, i work hard 9 hours a day and i cant afford to buy a 3000+ for example... so, if you cant repair the broken 4400 try to buy something cheaper just o get the computer to work... then you save money and buy a better processor in the future
April 2, 2006 7:03:36 PM

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400

Thanks

If you closely look at AMD datasheet, you'll see that most top pins are for voltage. And that they are redundant. Locate the pis broken and check for what they are used for. The CPU may work anyway, but with maybe a small bump in voltage to compensate the pins lost. This will allow to stabilize the CPU, like in overclocking.

Or, you can simply put it back in the socket (making sure that the broken pins are removed from it) and fire it on. If it power on, then try it.. If it is stable, then let your son play with it..

If they were signal pins (data and address pins), then you would have been out of luck..
April 2, 2006 7:11:43 PM

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400

Thanks

If you closely look at AMD datasheet, you'll see that most top pins are for voltage. And that they are redundant. Locate the pis broken and check for what they are used for. The CPU may work anyway, but with maybe a small bump in voltage to compensate the pins lost. This will allow to stabilize the CPU, like in overclocking.

Or, you can simply put it back in the socket (making sure that the broken pins are removed from it) and fire it on. If it power on, then try it.. If it is stable, then let your son play with it..

If they were signal pins (data and address pins), then you would have been out of luck..

I'm going to try this now. Thank you.
April 2, 2006 7:19:02 PM

memory voltage bump would help too, as some pins are related to memory controller voltage. This will stabilize the RAM, helping the controller to keep the pace..
April 2, 2006 7:27:08 PM

Quote:
memory voltage bump would help too, as some pins are related to memory controller voltage. This will stabilize the RAM, helping the controller to keep the pace..

I took a closer look at the processor and there are only two pins missing the others are bent. Do you know how I can fix the pins without breaking them?

Thanks
April 2, 2006 7:31:52 PM

Quote:
Are the pins just bent or are they chopped off ?

If the pins are bent, just straighten them using a mechanical pencil, make sure that you don't leave behind any graphite dust, a blow of compressed air will do the trick.
April 2, 2006 7:41:48 PM

I fixed the bent pins but there is an alignment problem with some of the pins.

They look aligned but they processor won't go in on the right side.
April 2, 2006 7:44:30 PM

Quote:

I took a closer look at the processor and there are only two pins missing the others are bent. Do you know how I can fix the pins without breaking them?

Thanks

the pencil trick is the best. just be carefull for not breaking them off.

By the way, why did you remove the HSF?
April 2, 2006 7:50:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks

the pencil trick is the best. just be carefull for not breaking them off.

By the way, why did you remove the HSF?

I was trying to get the heat sink to go on. I was moving it side to side trying to get it to go on when it would go on I thought that I had it backwards so I was going to try to put it on the other way. When I unclamped left side which was the only side I could get clamped, I lifted the heat sink and the processor was stuck to the heat sink.
April 2, 2006 7:54:26 PM

The processor is in. Time for the heat sink.
April 2, 2006 7:58:44 PM

There is a small level beside the socket.. you have to lift it to insert the CPU. From what you tell me, I can think that the computer wasn't yet started, so the CPU was not supposed to be stick to the thermal pad yet. The only way such thing happen is that you tried to insert the CPU with the lever down in locked position. That's why you had problem to align the clamp of the HSF :?

If you did have it unlocked then, maybe there is still a broken pis stuck inside the socket.
April 2, 2006 8:00:14 PM

Quote:
The processor is in. Time for the heat sink.

hehe.. good luck then..
April 2, 2006 8:04:45 PM

I made sure that the lever was up when I installed it this time. I really made a mess of this. I used thermal paste and I just noticed that when I cleaned off the thermal paste I cleaned off the thermal pad as well. I thought I used too thermal paste.

Since there is no thermal paste or pad left on the heat sink I have to add more thermal paste.
    • 1 / 7
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!