Is there much difference?

Chil

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I've been scoping out parts for my new PC, and I'm quite confused about DVD writers. Prices vary alot and everything seems to have the same specs. I know some manufacturers are better than others, but from what I've read, it's the older models (NEC 3540 and BenQ DW1640) that work the best. Yet, I can't find these drives anywhere, only their newer and I guess worse counterparts.

Is it really a crapshoot at this point in time? What can I get off of NewEgg that is the best bet for a fully working drive? I don't trust customer reviews because they give little details and probably just got the 1 in 100 that was bad. Also, I haven't found any tech sites with a review of all the new drives, are there any?

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
If you want to be absolutely safe, invest in a good branded drive like Toshiba or Sony. Perhaps HP or BenQ are also ok. I personally have a MSI drive which does behave funny sometimes (e.g. can't cut certain DVDs).

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
The currently available LG DVD+/-RW drivers have the best PQ rates around, and that is what you're after by the sounds of it.

It changes every 6-12 months from drive to drive, brand to brand.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
If you don't need to use any bitsetting features, then you can't go wrong with the Pioneer DVR-111D. Otherwise, the new Benq 1650/1655 are top-notch and will allow booktyping.
-Brett