nicknamealreadytaken

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
I am looking to buy a new computer to do basic functions (word processor, etc.), multitask (music, virus scan, internet), and game at a reasonable level (mid to high range).

This is what I got so far...

Pentium D 820 2.8 Ghz
Geforce 7800 GTX
2 Gig RAM

Basically, I am wondering if I should upgrade the processor. Keep in mind, that I am not planning on completely pimping out my computer (I am a college student and do not have a lot of cash), but want the games to look and play well. My only concern is that my processor may be undermining my video card and RAM. Should I upgrade to 3.0 Ghz or will the dual processor combined with the video card and RAM balance everything out? Please help me, I really do not understand what makes games go faster (RAM or the processing speed).

nicknamealreadytaken

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Nothing huge...FEAR, AoE3...I

Like I said, I am more interested in mid-to almost high range performance (college tuitopm is killing my wallet!!).

I just want to know if this works out and is not overkill on one aspect.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
If by 'reasonable level' of gaming you mean that you don't need to up the resolutions to the max, then I think 2.8 GHz is more than sufficient. But I'd go for an AMD chip though - it'll save you money.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Nothing huge...FEAR, AoE3...I

Like I said, I am more interested in mid-to almost high range performance (college tuitopm is killing my wallet!!).

I just want to know if this works out and is not overkill on one aspect.

enough posts already! next time just post one!

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
He was asked a question and he answered it, does that mean that he should have edited his first post to answer? And talk about a worthless post, what did you just do? Log on to say enough posts already.

Back on topic, I would personally go with a little more power, but if you are not worried about running the games at to res. then that should be alright. The dual core should be nice for running the multimedia and what not.

S7A88Y

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
go for a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (or the 3000+) and for fear than a X850 XT will save you money and perform well. What you had was over kill, now with the X850 XT you can use the AA feature.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I've got a 3500+ an my virus scan is running in the background permanently and i never get perfromance drops, so i don't see why a dual would be neccesary. I do however use NOD32 so and it is not exactly a performance hog.