Some hint about voice over ip

10 user in the same building, all rooms connected to the lan
2 isdn lines

witch is the best solution to have a telephone exchange can manage
internal and external phone with shared dial list?

Thanks in advance

A cheap solution would be to take a PC or embedded device with a
network card and a passive ISDN card running Asterisk
(http://www.asterisk.org) on top of Linux (there are even Debian
packages). That way you can manage extensive dialplans,
fax/voice2mail/boxes, ...

Juhura

Luca wrote:
> 10 user in the same building, all rooms connected to the lan
> 2 isdn lines
>
> witch is the best solution to have a telephone exchange can manage
> internal and external phone with shared dial list?
>
> Thanks in advance

A asterisk (www.asterisk.org) on a PC with Linux OS and a ISDN PCI card that
are supported by asterisk (example Eicon).

/Mats

nagamichi@web.de (Juhura Nagamichi) wrote in message news:<eb0e3560.0405090801.5f92e981@posting.google.com>...
> A cheap solution would be to take a PC or embedded device with a
> network card and a passive ISDN card running Asterisk
> (http://www.asterisk.org) on top of Linux (there are even Debian
> packages). That way you can manage extensive dialplans,
> fax/voice2mail/boxes, ...
>
> Juhura

It's a great solution!
Please explain me the meaning of "passive" isdn card, I'm in europe
and isdn card is TA.

What is the best quality/price phone on the market in your opinion?
Thanks
Luca

Luca wrote:
> nagamichi@web.de (Juhura Nagamichi) wrote in message
>> A cheap solution would be to take a PC or embedded device with a
>> network card and a passive ISDN card running Asterisk
>> (http://www.asterisk.org) on top of Linux (there are even Debian
>> packages). That way you can manage extensive dialplans,
>> fax/voice2mail/boxes, ...
>>
>> Juhura
>
> It's a great solution!
> Please explain me the meaning of "passive" isdn card, I'm in europe
> and isdn card is TA.
>
> What is the best quality/price phone on the market in your opinion?
> Thanks
> Luca

There is active ISDN cards witch has processing onboard the ISDN card =
expencive and then you have passive cards with less processing onboard the
ISDN card and those card uses more CPU capacity from the motherboard and are
less expensive.

Pick a card that has support from the ISDN4LINUX (www.isdn4linux.org).

Check the link http://www.isdn4linux.de/faq/i4lfaq-5.html#ss5.1 for hardware
support and http://www.isdn4linux.de/faq/i4lfaq-5.html#ss5.2 for an
explanation of the difference between active and passive ISDN card.

/Mats

luca@8volante.com (Luca) wrote in message
> What is the best quality/price phone on the market in your opinion?

If you want to spend 600$, 70$/year and 6 hours for the basic
configuration you should take a Cisco 7960G! ;-)

If you want a cheap (70 -100 $) but reliable solution, you should take
the Grandstream ATA-286 analogue adapter and a good analogue phone. Do
not take one of Grandstream's BT-100 series phones! They have no
address book and the micro of the speaker phone isn't worth it's name.

Juhura