WD Raptor questins

My system is a Asus A8N-SLI Premium with a Athlon 64 3000+, 1Gig of Kingston HyperX memory, BFG 7800GT OC Video card, a 74 gig WD Raptor drive, and a old IBM secondary drive. Here is my question.... My secondary drive just took a crap on me and I have been thinking on either buying the new 150 Raptor OR buying another 74gig and running it in raid with my first 74 raptor. Which would give me better performance? The single 150 or the two 74 runnig in raid?
12 answers Last reply
More about raptor questins
  1. Quote:
    My system is a Asus A8N-SLI Premium with a Athlon 64 3000+, 1Gig of Kingston HyperX memory, BFG 7800GT OC Video card, a 74 gig WD Raptor drive, and a old IBM secondary drive. Here is my question.... My secondary drive just took a crap on me and I have been thinking on either buying the new 150 Raptor OR buying another 74gig and running it in raid with my first 74 raptor. Which would give me better performance? The single 150 or the two 74 runnig in raid?

Well, if you can, get rid of the 74GB Raptor and buy 2 Western Digital 250GB SATA in a RAID 0. But, if you can't get rid of that Raptor, I still wouldn't recommend getting another because of price. Get yourself 2 SATA2 Hitachi Deskstar 80GB in a RAID 0, together they are almost as fast as 2 Raptors in a RAID 0 but only $50 each.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
  2. The mad modder has a good point. You always want a secondary drive man. I can't tell you how many times that has saved my butt! Plus the raptor may be nice but still get a couple of nice drives for much cheaper and raid 0 them. You dont' want to raid 0 a primary cause it is much less stable.
  3. Thanks for the info. The main reason I was asking is because I can get a new 74 Raptor for $110. As for a second drive .. my brother is sending me a 400 gig that he has and doesnt need.
  4. Quote:
    Thanks for the info. The main reason I was asking is because I can get a new 74 Raptor for $110. As for a second drive .. my brother is sending me a 400 gig that he has and doesnt need.

For that $110, you could get 2 80GB Hitachi Deskstars in SATA2 RAID 0, they will be nearly fast as 2 Raptors. Than again, if you want die-hard speed, go ahead and get a 2nd Raptor.

5. Hi mate,

I would recommend Raid-0 Raptor-74 against everyone elses advice here!!
    Bear in mind that the highest transfer rates from the disks will be from the outer tracks...

If you are running them through a PCI-Express attached SATA controller then this will make a difference (the ceiling will be the SATA transfer rate of 150Mbyte/s and not the shared maximum of the 132Mbyte/s of the PCI bus).

There is not a great deal of difference between the Raptor-74 and Raptor-150 in terms of performance. The latter has NCQ. But the former has TCQ and with a SATA controller that supports TCQ this can also significantly reduce command I/O and CPU overhead (I have a Hitachi 400Gbyte drive with TCQ and it is a beast for multi-access even under Windblows).

To safe guard your data use the Raptors as work space and for installing big games, etc. Don't store anything important on them!! I boot off a couple of U320 SCSI drives and don't have any problems with data loss (I am v. careful about what I put on the drives) but get crap performance as I don't have a decent I/O backplane on my MB (it is stiller faster than unraided).

Do you self a favour and get some decent shielded SATA cables:
    e.g. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=312&products_id=3394

SATA connectors are a lot more flakey than the ole' PATA 80-pin connectors and are generally unshielded (unless stated). This in my experience can potentially lead to CRC errors and unreliability (though not generally for a well shielded case and internal drives...)

Bob Wya
  6. Quote:
    Hi mate,

I would recommend Raid-0 Raptor-74 against everyone elses advice here!!

And you obviously missed my post where it says I used 7 Raptor 74GB..and that's because I didn't post it here....well now I did.....and 4 in a RAID 0....but yea...what do I know about Raptors..

Raptors are overrated, wastes of greens.

7. Yeh MadModMike,

You are probably right about the Raptors. I'm just a sucker for fast harddisks.... and v. poor :-)

Most of my 'storage' disks are Hitachi Deskstars which I would also recommend as they have an impressively low seek time which really does make them appear more responsive then other 7,200rpm HD.

Bob Wya
  8. Quote:
    A speed of a HDD should be defined by it's real-world performance test.
    Program such as HDTach is only useful for testing.

e.g. the game loading time between one vs. two Raptor is only a few seconds.

"Do what I say not what I do", owner of two Cheetah 15k[/code:1:ca19e2985c]

HDTach is the worst excuse for a benchmark program.

@BobWya

I also have 9 Hitachi Deskstar drives and a bunch in RAID 0's, they're great drives for cheap prices.

9. I still rather have one 74 Raptor and one large data drive. I just don't want more than 2 drives in my system, even if RAID 0 can be cheaper.
    I assume I can upgrade with another 74 Raptor to RAID 0 if I really need to (much later)
  10. word
  11. Quote:

word

Did I miss something?
  12. hahahhahaha nah dude. Just the guy before said he doesn't want more than two drives total and I was agreeing :P Just felt like saying that hahahahhahaha
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Wd Raptor Storage