Who can overclock it? It's a challenge.

chencx99

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
:wink:
So happy I can discuss hardware problems here with friends from all the world, I am Chinese!
I have a notebook Asus A3
in details:
CPU: intel Celeron M 1.4GHZ with 512K L2,400MHZ Fsb
RAM:512M DDR333
Can it be overclocked?

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Dun mind me, but I'd say that overclocking is overrated ..it has been established that its not the clock spped of system which dictates the performance , but overall design (choice of I/O, sycned memory etc) :)

I would suggest that you dont overclock any thing at all. System Designers of a good chip making company do their best to get optimal performance out of a chip (but if chip is used badly in some ARCH its another story) :)

Why do you want to overclok your CPU any ways ...are u a gamer. If so I would recomend you to get a seperate machine for gaming which u can play around with.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I have a notebook Ausu A3
in details:
Can it be overclocked?

Not by me! If that sucker got too hot and caught on fire when I was about to drop a load of bombs while playing the flight simulator, I might not notice and I don't wanna all the sudden be seeing flames lapping up my inner thigh. NosireeBob! What? You were April-fooling me? Total overcrocking?

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I have a notebook Ausu A3
in details:
Can it be overclocked?

Not by me! If that sucker got too hot and caught on fire when I was about to drop a load of bombs while playing the flight simulator, I might not notice and I don't wanna all the sudden be seeing flames lapping up my inner thigh. NosireeBob! What? You were April-fooling me? Total overcrocking?

I think you are clueless, as you aptly called yourself ;)

I say overclock it, it's got room, and it should help the performance. :) And it isnt' as hot as AMD's of the same period, if it was an AMD, I'd be more scared of it going up in flames :p

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Dude, overclocking is cool so long as you do it slowly and methodically... and the gain IS NOTICABLE. Firing up my Opteron at the stock 2Ghz is like slow motion (alright, not that bad, but...), at 2.9+ it FLIES! I mean it GROWS WINGS!! (Not to mention I just stuck it to The Man and paid 4/5th's the price of the top-of-the-line cpu and can get even better performance... :twisted: )

Granted, I don't think a laptop is the place to overclock since the issue is heat build up vs. how much you can cool it... not much. I'd hate to see a cpu explode and smack some dude in the face after flying through the keyboard... 8O

PDH-NicFury 8)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Granted, I don't think a laptop is the place to overclock since the issue is heat build up vs. how much you can cool it... not much. I'd hate to see a cpu explode and smack some dude in the face after flying through the keyboard... 8O

Exactly the point I made, except I was worried more about the Flaming Nads Phenomenon. A CPU in the face is nothing compared to baked beans.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
processors don't explode when they overheat. :roll:

Also, the heat output between stock and over clocked is little when there is no change in vcore. The OP can look to see if a Pentium M-equipped model from that company uses a different heatsink, but I wouldn't doubt that the two use the same cooling device. The thermal difference between the Celeron M and the Pentium M is practically nothing at the same clock speeds when the Pentium is not in speedstep.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
You might want to consider that you can NOT overclock. My Dell D600 will NOT overclock. Oh it has the capability to... But you can not effectively disable the speedstep and it is WAY too easy to hit the thermal wall.

Please keep in mind that my D600 has the Pentium-M 1.6 but that is not far from your Celeron.

If you can disable speedstep an say play a FPS game without the CPU cloking down (500mhz in my case) then you may be OK. I would say the limiting factor for me is the case design does not allow for good heat disipation.

Good luck

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
wait a minute....are you saying that your 1.6 Pentium M will clock down due to heat, even though the cpu is pegged at 100%? I thought only Pentium 4's would throttle back due to heat...

The inspiron 1200 I use has a 1.3 GHz Celeron M (Dothan). I keep track if its temps using a nifty program called I8kfanGUI. The factory doesn't turn on the fan until the cpu hits around 65 C. I have it set similar: It turns on the fan when the cpu hits 60C, and off again when it reaches 50C. Only the low fan speed is ever utilized. Honestly the fan doesn't turn on that often. It usually takes about 30 minutes of typing/web browsing before the fan turns on, and then it will take about 5 to 7 minutes for the temps to once again reach 60C. The fans runs for about 25 to 30 seconds.

I haven't tried to overclock this laptop (1.3 GHz is way more than I need), but I have tried to undervolt the cpu. You lucky pentium M owners can use software utilities to undervolt, but since the Celeron M lacks speedstep, I had to attempt a pin mod. Unfortunately, the stock voltage of the Celeron M does not lend itself well to pin modding, as insulating one pin results in a voltage drop of either something like .008 volts or .3 volts, depending on which pin you want to do. Needless to say, one is too little to matter, and the other too great for the processor to work, so I had to give up that idea. I'll probably pick up a slow Dothan pentium M (1.5 GHz or so) and underclock/undervolt that.

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Not that CPU's go nuclear all the time, but I have seen a video where a couple dudes oc WAAAAY too much and the cpu LITERALLY EXPLODES. No fizzle, no pop... BANG! 8O

Had another video where a video card caught on fire... :roll:

Yeah, I'd be more worried about the heat generated on my lap if oc'ing a laptop...

PDH-NicFury

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Joe,

The 1.6ghz PM will step down during heavy operation even when disabled in both windows (hint you do this by selecting the "always on" power management category sometimes the performance category works too) and in the BIOS. I have looked at this on the web and it seems that the chip goes into SELF protection mode.

The slow down is only temporary when these power managment profiles are selected. What happens is durning heavy activity like 20+ minutes of Unreal Tournament 2k4 the proc steps down to 500 mhz for a period of about 3 minutes. It is very noticable in game because of the severe slow down. This can be mitigated by using an external fan and elevivating the notebook slightly. When I do these things the proc rarely steps down. So when I game I have to bring my fan with me.

Again this could be a thermal limitation of the notebook case but I would have to assume that most would act very similar.

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Not that CPU's go nuclear all the time, but I have seen a video where a couple dudes oc WAAAAY too much and the cpu LITERALLY EXPLODES. No fizzle, no pop... BANG! 8O

Yeah, I'd be more worried about the heat generated on my lap if oc'ing a laptop...

PDH-NicFury

sorry dude but that video is fake.. they use a fire cracker or something of the like and blow it up from under the board.. the chips just fizzle up and die..

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
sorry dude but that video is fake.. they use a fire cracker or something of the like and blow it up from under the board.. the chips just fizzle up and die..

I have witnessed large capacitors explode. Fortunately, the schrapnel missed me.

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

I have witnessed large capacitors explode. Fortunately, the schrapnel missed me.

there is a diff between a capasitor and a processor...

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

PDH-NicFury

No, that's not fake, you see. that was an experiment to document how good is powder as thermal agent

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

PDH-NicFury

No, that's not fake, you see. that was an experiment to document how good is powder as thermal agent

how about you back up that claim with some documentation. i dont need documentation to show what a firecracker would do...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

I'll award you an honorary kindergarden electrical engineering degree for making that incredibly insightful observation!

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

I'll award you an honorary kindergarden electrical engineering degree for making that incredibly insightful observation!

ohh were you just making a statement? or were you being sarcastic? its hard to tell.. i apologize either way..