Need some advice about a cpu I sold

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ok I recently sold someone a 4200x2 cpu that was a working system pull. I tested it for a feew weeks to make sure it was good , ran prime and a few other stress tests. So I sell it to this guy, he receives it and says that hes having problems that the system boots buit its crashing occasionally. I write back and tell him to check a few things it maybe something simple because the chip was fine when Iwas using it. He writes back a few hours later and says the problem was solved and the system is running fine. The next day he writes to me again and says he wants his money back that the chip is dead. What do I do in this situation?? Seems weird to me that he tells me its a driver problem with his video card and the system is running fine and all of a sudden the next day the chip is dead?? How do I know he didnt overvolt or OC it and kill it ??? Am I responsible to give his money back and take the $275 loss?? Please let me know what you all think. He seems to not even want to bother to figure out if something else in his system is the problem, hes had the chip only 24hours. Also Ive sold 4 other cpu's in the last few weeks and 3 out of four messaged me when they first installed thier chip and were complaining of problems only to find out a few days later that they did something wrong and the chips where perfectly fine. ANy advice??
thanks
Frank.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I would'nt bother with this guy. Even if the machine could power up and yet, it crashed proves the CPU was working. Chances are, he probably did something himself to cause his issues.

As long as you have the documentation that he showed it was working and you advised him beforehand that the chip was working, I wouldn't bother.

The problem is, you have no idea as to what he's doing with the chip and that's a big problem with selling anything to anybody else without knowing. Did you make mention to him that all sales are final? How did you word it? Chances are, he's having a problem and just wants his money back. If anything and if you do decide to take it back, get the chip back first and test it if you can.

Another thing to add if you decide to take it back, tell him up front that you need the chip back for testing purposes and then, once you see that it's working fine, you'll refund his money. Sometimes that will make them change their mind and decide to keep it.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
This is exactly why I only build machines for friends! I hate trying to explain to people that their computer doesn't do things on its own! hahahahhahaha. People are so stupid I swear. Luminaris has a good point. Make sure you let them know that all sales are final! Everything speaks for itself dude, you had it and it worked just fine. Who knows of the conditions in his house, with his electrical, and with his brain :)P). Just another consumer who trys to take advantage of someone who is hookin him up fatty style.

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
if u did all those tests and u passed all of them with flying colors, then it isn't the processor. tell the guy ull come to his house and check it out. if he overvolted it, tell him its his fault and hes not getting anything back,.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
The thing is, I am a relatively new seller with only 7 positive heats, I dont want a bad one for something like this. But on the other hand I am college stufdent and cant afford to take a $275 loss. I know the chip is good and he even messaged me saying it was a sdrive problem and that he had it fixed, but then the next day changed his mind and demnds his money back. The way I see it is that a DOA chip means the compuuter doesnt boot at all, if it booted and ran fine for a few hours I think its something else causing the problems. So you all seem to think its not my responsibilty to give his cash back?

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Before the sale he said will you garuntee it wont be DOA and I said yet, i have it running in my personal machine right now and its working fine for the past two weeks. Then when he got it he said the machine was booting up but crashing after about 30min. I messaged him back telling him to check some of his settings and his bios to make sure its up to date and X2 compatible. So he mnessages me back a few hours later saying he fixed it and it was his video card drivers or something and that the computer was running for 2 hours with no problems. The next dfay he messages me demanding his money back the CPU is dead. He said you garunteed it wouldnt be DOA and it is dead. The thing is he just told me the day before it was up and running for two hours without a problem. Again i asked him to check for other problems, check the bios settings, he said he used all auto settings on his Asus board?? I really am not sure what to do, I think technically im not responsible since he had the system up and running. Any other advise guys?
thanks
Frank

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Heres is the exact workds he wrote to me.

" so far no crash for 2 hours. I think I've fixed the problem. Sorry about before. I was so pissed. This is my first used CPU purchase and I was worried.

Problem was, I beleive, video drivers. I reinstalled and it's working now. Please disregard my previous PM. Again, it's working now. Thanks for the great sale. "

The next day he claims the cpu is completely dead. Seems a bit fishy to me??

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'm going to surmise it's eBay, and I've had my share of fun on there. The thing to look at is how he paid, a guy I sold a laptop to used his Credit Card and after about a week, demanded his $ back and I refunded him via PayPal (My only option). I am positive he did it to screw his Credit Card company and get the cash back, but I ended up getting the Laptop back and it was in perfect condition, so I sold to a friend and he's happy as hell.

My advice: Look over your eBay page (if it was infact eBay) and see how you worded things, and did you say "all sales are final"? If you know for a 111% fact the thing was working, than screw him.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
It wasnt ebay it was one oof the computer forums. He asked if it was garunteed not DOA. I said yes it will not be DOA. He paid via paypal. I never said all sales final which I guess was a bad mistake, all I said is it wont be doa. And it wasnt it worked for 2 hours according to him. This really bothers me as I dont know what to do really, any ideas on the laws, I mean I dont wanna be an asshol;e to the guy, but I know for a fact the thing was prime stabel when I had it. And the fact that he has only used the auto bios settings seems to me that he doesnt really care to get the chip working, wouldnt u at least try to fool around with some bioos settings to see if something is wrong thier before claiming the chip is DOA. I mean me personally have piut together dozens of systems and 9 times out of ten there is some tiny stupid thing that u setup wrong that makes the system go crazy and a day or two later u figure it out. This guy doesnt seem to want to even try to get it to work.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
He asked if it was garunteed not DOA. I said yes it will not be DOA.

And it wasnt it worked for 2 hours according to him.

I don't care what laws there are, those 2 statements right there mean you fulfilled your obligation of non-DOA. It's time to be an @$$ to him and let him know he won't be getting his $ back.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
From what I see and this is only my opinion it sounds like this person is playing dumb... I think they OCed and it poped now they want the cash back. Tell them to RMA it to AMD its pretty new so it should be under the warrenty ? If they didnt OC it they should be able to get a replacement (AMD can tell if its been OCed ?) I would tell them it worked when it arived then it broke due to something they did I mean how could it not work ? in my experience with ALL electronics if it works for more then 2 hours one time it will continue to work for years. Unless something changes IE voltage spike or surge or missuse.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
It wasnt ebay it was one oof the computer forums. He asked if it was garunteed not DOA. I said yes it will not be DOA. He paid via paypal. I never said all sales final which I guess was a bad mistake, all I said is it wont be doa. And it wasnt it worked for 2 hours according to him. This really bothers me as I dont know what to do really, any ideas on the laws, I mean I dont wanna be an asshol;e to the guy, but I know for a fact the thing was prime stabel when I had it. And the fact that he has only used the auto bios settings seems to me that he doesnt really care to get the chip working, wouldnt u at least try to fool around with some bioos settings to see if something is wrong thier before claiming the chip is DOA. I mean me personally have piut together dozens of systems and 9 times out of ten there is some tiny stupid thing that u setup wrong that makes the system go crazy and a day or two later u figure it out. This guy doesnt seem to want to even try to get it to work.

Then you did what you said you were gonna do and not sell him a DOA chip. Don't bother with this guy man. He probably either did something wrong or his MB isn't compatible with the chip. It's in his hands and you lived up to your end of the deal.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Thats what I figured. Cant wait to see what he has to say about this, I guess i should prepare for a negative heatware eval:(

So I take it this forum is AnandTech forums? If it is, see if you can take a look at his previous posts on whatever site it is and see what he does. Does he overclock? Does he ask alot of seemingly dumb questions? etc. You get the picture. See if you can determine what this guy did with the chip. He may have even asked about it on the forums. Take a good look. You might just figure out exactly what he did with your chip. Never know ...

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Don't worry about any legal action. It is legal to be third party......thats fine! Plus you fulfilled the doa request. Plus that dude isn't going to spend 5000 on an attorney I promise you that. Wusy made a great point that you should contact site admin about the legal repercussions of the matter to have your negative feedback removed. Like I also heard this guy is an idiot and prolly tried to oc his shit and fried it!

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
From what I'm seeing here, you lived up to your end of the deal and you owe him nothing, not a single dime. I believe he is infact playing dumb. Though I may not have to suggest this, since you may do it anyway; in the future you should make it clear all sales are final.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
From what I'm seeing here, you lived up to your end of the deal and you owe him nothing, not a single dime. I believe he is infact playing dumb. Though I may not have to suggest this, since you may do it anyway; in the future you should make it clear all sales are final.

Declaring all sales final deters alot of potential legit buyers, because they think you may be scamming. I suggest having a reputation before saying anything is final if you're selling.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
yeah, I agree with that otherwise, you ain't sellin nuttin LOL

The thing is, the dude promised the guy that he wouldn't sell him a DOA chip and he didn't. The worst part about it is, even if the seller wanted the chip back, he can't take it back now cause, we all know damn good and well, that chip is probably fried more than KFC!

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I think im going to tell him no refund because he had the chip working, therefore its not DOA. My guess is he descided either he couldnt afford it or it wasnt much of an upgrade over his origional system or just plain killed my poor chip...lol As soon as he pm'd me and said the chip was working, what happens after that is no longer my responsibility. Seems everyone here seems to agree with that. Lets see what he says. Im going to contacts the mods at the forum and ask them before I make a definite move. I just dont want the bad feedback, Ive had 7 perfect sales in the past month and would like to keep my rep good. Thanks to all you guys and gals who helped me out much appreciated.
thanks
Frank

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I dont know but I find it very fishy that he messaged me saying it was running fine and it was a video card problem and then all of a sudden now the system doesnt even boot or anything, he claims the cpu is completely dead now. Awefully strange. Maybe he found a better deal or something, but I mean $275 for a 4200x2 was a very good price imo.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I agree with you, but just looking at the facts subjectively, him saying "it's bust now, but was working - I want my money back" hardly constitutes a reason for your to fear the transaction.

I'm in the UK, so our laws are going to be different, even if they might only be subtle differences.

At the point of sale the item worked. You have proof from him that this is the case (the messages). ie the CPU was fit for the purpose it was sold for.

No CPU on this earth would operate in the style described if it was sold defective. PERIOD. I'm more curious as to how he's pinning the failure on the CPU, and not neglecting the fact that the board has changed.

For what it's worth I think he's bought it, realised it's no quicker at playing games - someones told him. He's slept on it, and then tried to get it to go faster, and cooked it. I bet he didn't even clear the bios before installing it!

In the uk, adding the line all sales blah blah are final makes no odds, and I can;t see why that should make any difference to you. I am not a us qualified attourney, but I'd wager that you're not a million miles away from the truth with your initial reaction.

You advertised the goods as working. He has confirmed they were working on receipt. The burden of proof surely lies with him now to prove that the chip is faulty. Let him do that via AMD or someone qualified.

As for your rating, if he leaves negative reviews, contact the web site and get it struck from their records if he's being unreasonable.

Personally, I'd contact the web site you sold it through and get their stance on it. After all, I can't believe he's the first person to ever try this!

Ebay have surprised me with their application of common sence when I've had disputes like this.

Sorry for the novel! Good luck, and let us know how you get on!