movie doesn't play in set top DVD player

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi there, I have a Liteon DVD burn, model LDW-400D. I burned a movie on a Memorex DVD+R disc. the movie plays fine on my computer, but not on my set top DVD player. Someone told me i need to set a property of the burner so that when it burns, it burns it like a retail DVD disc so it will play in any DVD player. There doesn't seem to be any properties of my burner for this. where should i look? or are there any utilities for this?
www.liteonit.com doesn't seem to list my burner. I guess its an older model. thanks. I'm running winXP pro with SP2

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Might be that you burned it at too high of a burn rate for the player to read.
Try burning it at 4x and see if that helps. I got that alot copying my cds (for backup purposes only *fib*). Once I started burning them at 4 or 8x, most played in regular players.
Good luck

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi, i'm pretty sure that it was burned at 4X.

Might be that you burned it at too high of a burn rate for the player to read.
Try burning it at 4x and see if that helps. I got that alot copying my cds (for backup purposes only *fib*). Once I started burning them at 4 or 8x, most played in regular players.
Good luck

pat

Expert
hi there, I have a Liteon DVD burn, model LDW-400D. I burned a movie on a Memorex DVD+R disc. the movie plays fine on my computer, but not on my set top DVD player. Someone told me i need to set a property of the burner so that when it burns, it burns it like a retail DVD disc so it will play in any DVD player. There doesn't seem to be any properties of my burner for this. where should i look? or are there any utilities for this?
www.liteonit.com doesn't seem to list my burner. I guess its an older model. thanks. I'm running winXP pro with SP2

how did you burn the movie?

You need to create a movie dvd disc format, not only putting the video file on it.

then, bitsetting is the option for older dvd player to be compatible with burnt dvds

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
is the disc you're trying to copy a hollywood (AKA encrypted) movie? Or is it something from say your camcorder or PVR, or video file. if it's hollywood encrypted, you will not be able to burn that movie with the slysoft software by itself. it's a nice program, I like the features, but I didn't want to pay for DVD copy software, and also doesn't include movie decryption. I forget the encryption scheme, but when I first installed the demo, I was able to get it working after I downloaded another 3rd party decrypter App for DVD movies. for a free software alternative that automatically decrypts the movie, I suggest DVD Shrink, do a google search for it, you can't download it a the official software page. The features aren't the same, but I've found it to be flexible enough to work with single/dual layer media and different video cutting options (you could take a TV series, cut the menu's, and reduce the amount of discs it would take to copy that series in high-quality) haven't gotten that far yet, but if you learn about the TS video files (right acronym?) and how to work with them, it can be done.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
here's the story. i downloaded Finding Nemo from bit comet. it was an .mds file. i burned it to DVD and it works fine on my PC. so i deleted the .mds files. i then realized it doesn't work in my DVD player. Someone told me i need to burn it so my DVD player thinks its a DVD-ROM. I can do this using DVD decryptor. it has this feature called booktype where you burn it so it ends up being like a DVD-rom. but i need it to be in .iso format first.

You need to create a movie dvd disc format, not only putting the video file on it.

then, bitsetting is the option for older dvd player to be compatible with burnt dvds

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
i haven't worked too much with the MDS file, but i'm guessing it's similar to ISO. either re-download the file or try to re-rip the file to your hard drive, removing any encryption and see what happens. i think the biggest hang up at this point is that we don't yet know if it's a hardware issue between the disc and the player or if it's software/decryption/burning error. i haven't had too much experience with a burn going wrong, so i don't have a lot of troubleshooting when it does.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
The AnyDVD is the background descrambler, removes and changes so it will work in a stand alone player. CloneDVD needs it to do those types of movies.

Try setting your computers clock ahead a year, then install the two programmes, then reset the clock. Or find a key.

pat

Expert
here's the story. i downloaded Finding Nemo from bit comet. it was an .mds file. i burned it to DVD and it works fine on my PC. so i deleted the .mds files. i then realized it doesn't work in my DVD player. Someone told me i need to burn it so my DVD player thinks its a DVD-ROM. I can do this using DVD decryptor. it has this feature called booktype where you burn it so it ends up being like a DVD-rom. but i need it to be in .iso format first.

You can re-rip the CD you did in ISO if it is what it takes and burn it with the booktype thing.

Cinder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
According to the little bit of research I did, you need to use a program like Alcohol 120% or ISO Buster to create a disk image from the file you downloaded. Once you have the disk image (ISO) you burn it to a DVD+R and bitset (or BookType) the disk to DVD rom IF your burner supports that function. :)

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I don't disagree with any of the previous posts. If that fails, try a different type of media. Not all DVD players are compatible with all burned DVDs. In my experience, it's not how I burned them, but what media I burned them on that made the difference.

If all else fails, try different media type or brand.

Have you tried to play the dvd in more than one set top dvd player? Some players are fussy about the media. Also, you may want to try burning to a DVD+/-RW. The RW's have a slightly different reflectency than the write once DVD's.

It's, been a while since I used DVD decrypter, but I thought the MDS file was only part of the whole. Usually you have a smaller MDS file, then the larger file which is comparable to an ISO file.

Also, find your set top dvd player make/model online and see which formats it's supports.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
If your drive supports it, burn the movie on a -R disc.

I've "heard" that this media is supported much better by older stand alone DVD players.

You can take the DVD you burned (the one that plays on your PC) and use DVD Shrink to create the .ISO file you need from it.

forkart

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005

Try to use magiciso to re-make dvd iso image. It is good iso creator.