Zach

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

I just replaced the PM, PC and Y ink tanks in my i9900 but the printer
monitor only shows the PM as being changed; the others still show low
levels of ink. Anyone else had this happen or know how to fix it? Thanks!

Zach

Zach wrote:
> I just replaced the PM, PC and Y ink tanks in my i9900 but the printer
> monitor only shows the PM as being changed; the others still show low
> levels of ink. Anyone else had this happen or know how to fix it? Thanks!
> Zach

If it has (and i assume it does) the same system as i550, i850 and ip
series, then at the bottom when removing cart is a kind of photo sensor and
if ink is in the cart it reflects light differently than if it's not, so
check out if that small prism is maybe dirty...

Zach

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

SleeperMan wrote:
> Zach wrote:
>
>>I just replaced the PM, PC and Y ink tanks in my i9900 but the printer
>>monitor only shows the PM as being changed; the others still show low
>>levels of ink. Anyone else had this happen or know how to fix it? Thanks!
>>Zach
>

> If it has (and i assume it does) the same system as i550, i850 and ip
> series, then at the bottom when removing cart is a kind of photo sensor and
> if ink is in the cart it reflects light differently than if it's not, so
> check out if that small prism is maybe dirty...

Can't see/find the prism you're talking about. Took out all tanks and
reinstalled them with the same result.

Zach

Zach wrote:
> SleeperMan wrote:
>> Zach wrote:
>>
>>> I just replaced the PM, PC and Y ink tanks in my i9900 but the
>>> printer monitor only shows the PM as being changed; the others
>>> still show low levels of ink. Anyone else had this happen or know
>>> how to fix it? Thanks! Zach
>>

>> If it has (and i assume it does) the same system as i550, i850 and ip
>> series, then at the bottom when removing cart is a kind of photo
>> sensor and if ink is in the cart it reflects light differently than
>> if it's not, so check out if that small prism is maybe dirty...
>>

> Can't see/find the prism you're talking about. Took out all tanks and
> reinstalled them with the same result.
>
> Zach

Hmmm...does your i9900 also use BCI3 or BCI 6 carts? If not, there maybe not
there at all. But if it does, then it must be there.I never really searched
for them...But i looked now on my ip4000 and, (if i assume correct) , there
are not under cart, but on left side of the printer - you'll probably see
two small - less than 1mm) tiny round glass spots - those are LED's to
monitor level. SO, my guess is that printer checks out ink level only every
now and then when it drives heads all the way to the left. But, (assuming
you do have BCI tanks) if you look cart's bottom, you see ink output hole,
then some rectangular stuff (NOT in the sponge area, but where only ink is),
following by round tap, which is probably used for cart to sit nicely into
the head. That rectangular thing is prism for ink level check and LED must
be under that in order to check out.
Sorry, since i'm not native English speaker, i don't know how to explain
more simple. But, to be honest, i doubt that LED's are dirty since in this
case ALL inks would show empty, since (as i see) only one reader is used for
all carts. Did you try to remove and re-install driver?
One of options (long shot, though) is also that cart is damaged, so that
prism at the bottom doesn't reflect light properly. You can check this by
using your old empty cart, make a hole in the top, fill it with water (but
seal output hole first - use some tape) and insert it - if printer will show
full, it's new cart damaged. In this case just print normally and check ink
levels often. (or if you can, exchange carts)

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Zach wrote:
>> I just replaced the PM, PC and Y ink tanks in my i9900 but the printer
>> monitor only shows the PM as being changed; the others still show low
>> levels of ink. Anyone else had this happen or know how to fix it?
>> Thanks!
>> Zach

My guess is that you received an 'Ink Out' warning on the PM, but only a
'Ink Low' on the other two.
If this is the case and you changed all three this can cause this as the
printer was not expecting a tank that still contained ink to be replaced.

Remove the PC and Y tanks, close the lid and reset the power on the printer.
After it powers up open the top and reinsert the two new tanks.

Zach

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

PC Medic wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>
>>Zach wrote:
>>
>>>I just replaced the PM, PC and Y ink tanks in my i9900 but the printer
>>>monitor only shows the PM as being changed; the others still show low
>>>levels of ink. Anyone else had this happen or know how to fix it?
>>>Thanks!
>>>Zach
>>

> My guess is that you received an 'Ink Out' warning on the PM, but only a
> 'Ink Low' on the other two.
> If this is the case and you changed all three this can cause this as the
> printer was not expecting a tank that still contained ink to be replaced.
>
> Remove the PC and Y tanks, close the lid and reset the power on the printer.
> After it powers up open the top and reinsert the two new tanks.

OK, I tried your suggestion but it's still the same. You are right
about what I did, the PM warning came up and I changed the other two as
they were showing very low levels as well. I think Canon needs to
update this small but irritating "feature" or bug or whatever they may
choose to call it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Zach

Wow, that concerns me. I have low ink levels that I would like to
replace before printing some 13x19's ... so I can't just replace the
low ones ... wow