Sign in with
Your question

TO RAID or not to RAID?

Last response: in Storage
April 2, 2006 4:34:53 PM

Hello guys

I got an old athlon xp2000 palomino core and i think its time to change. Its been 5 years since i bought it and when i got the cash for a new PC i had to buy a Laptop. Well since im in college I CANNOT SPEND TOO MUCH CASH so no Athlons FX and RAID on 10kRPM HDs ok?
Heres what i have in mind:

CPU Athlon X2 4400 or a PentiumD with the same firepower
Video: A 7900GT or a 7800GTX? Maybe an ATI X1900XT (wich one should I pick?)
HD: This one is hard: should i get me a Raid0 7200RPM HDs or a single Cheetaah 10k RPM? The RAID0 should go with SATA2 (burn baby!). Space aint the problem since my laptop has an aditional 100GB.
No worries about memory cause ima get 1giga and later on another 1gigabyte

I need this system to run some engineering programs and of course max out some of my games like NFS Most Wanted. Is this good stuff to put together or should i change anything?
Regards

More about : raid raid

April 2, 2006 6:01:36 PM

looks nice, i think the cheetah would be a too expensive compared to a raid 0 of 7200 rpm drives. Raid0 of 7200 rpm drives would be much more cost effective. I'm not sure about performance but you could always check out Storage Review i think you should go with the x1900 but that's because i'm an ATI fan. go with the AMD processor, Intel's are (currently) too hot and amd's just better for gaming.

don't forget to get a decent case, PSU and get some ventilation going. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T FORGET TO FOLD....

Ara
April 2, 2006 6:03:30 PM

Just wanna understand - why do you need the RAID 0? That means 2 hard disk drives.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 2, 2006 6:14:07 PM

Quote:
Hello guys

I got an old athlon xp2000 palomino core and i think its time to change. Its been 5 years since i bought it and when i got the cash for a new PC i had to buy a Laptop. Well since im in college I CANNOT SPEND TOO MUCH CASH so no Athlons FX and RAID on 10kRPM HDs ok?
Heres what i have in mind:

CPU Athlon X2 4400 or a PentiumD with the same firepower
Video: A 7900GT or a 7800GTX? Maybe an ATI X1900XT (wich one should I pick?)
HD: This one is hard: should i get me a Raid0 7200RPM HDs or a single Cheetaah 10k RPM? The RAID0 should go with SATA2 (burn baby!). Space aint the problem since my laptop has an aditional 100GB.
No worries about memory cause ima get 1giga and later on another 1gigabyte

I need this system to run some engineering programs and of course max out some of my games like NFS Most Wanted. Is this good stuff to put together or should i change anything?
Regards

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 Dual-Core
DFI LanParty nF4 (One of the cheap ones, say around $120ish)
2 Hitachi Deskstar 80GB in RAID 0 (Faster than a 10k Cheetah)
ATI Radeon x1900XT (I can play NFS Most Wanted maxed out @ 60fps constant)
1GB (512x2) Crucial Ballistix DDR400 PC3200

For SCSI (What the cheetah's are) you need a SCSI motherboard or to get a SCSI expansion card, both are way too expensive for your budget. Get what I suggested as it is a quality system for cheap.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 5, 2006 4:11:06 AM

Go with a single 7200RPM disk and get that 2GB now.
!