Sign in with
Your question

For anyone with a 'noisey' WD Raptor, Please Read

Last response: in Storage
April 2, 2006 5:42:43 PM

I've read a lot lately how people are complaining of being disappointed by the WD Raptors noise level. I have found two things to help and cut noise very dramatically.

First, use all 4 mounting holes to secure the drive, and make sure they're firmly tightened. Don't over tighten, just make sure they're very firm.

Next, and the best thing I've found for my drive is to put felt washers between the drive and the case. Nothing too fancy, don't need anything special. Just 4 felt washers where the screws go into the drive. The washers will keep the case and drive from touching and absorb a lot of vibration.

There's my .02 I hope it will help more people get the same level of satisfaction out of their Raptor that I have with mine. I can't detect spin noise at all and write noise only on occasion with this setup.

More about : noisey raptor read

April 2, 2006 6:19:51 PM

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know Raptors are such noisy disks.
April 2, 2006 7:21:03 PM

Seagate Barracudda 7200rpm drive ~ 39db
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 ~ 40 db
WD Caviar WD2500KS ~ 43db

Hard drives are measured at a distance of 3mm

So Raptors are quiet for hard drives, and extremely quiet for the fastest of the fastest.
Related resources
April 2, 2006 7:24:34 PM

Unbelievable noisy , ive got a 36GB Raptor , and ever since I bought the damn thing i "hear" my PC allways , only when i'm wearing a headset I dont.
I got different drives , from a lowly 160 GB seagate drive up to an external Maxtor 3 Turbo and I swear this is THE loudest series of drives around.
Yet for my next system i'll be the first to buy a 150GB model. :D 
tsk..tsk....the speed ...the speed.....especially in raid.......
Only the price , heat , and noise are so shitty :( 
April 2, 2006 8:10:14 PM

Yes, I know that the Raptors are naturally very quiet. Just that when put in poor acoustical conditions they might sound louder than they really are. Hence the steps I've taken to ensure low noise emissions.

In my thinking Raptors are getting an undeserved reputation for being noisy. I was just making suggestions for those with drives in poor acoustical conditions, steps to help solve noise problems.
April 2, 2006 8:41:15 PM

Quote:
I've read a lot lately how people are complaining of being disappointed by the WD Raptors noise level. I have found two things to help and cut noise very dramatically.

First, use all 4 mounting holes to secure the drive, and make sure they're firmly tightened. Don't over tighten, just make sure they're very firm.

Next, and the best thing I've found for my drive is to put felt washers between the drive and the case. Nothing too fancy, don't need anything special. Just 4 felt washers where the screws go into the drive. The washers will keep the case and drive from touching and absorb a lot of vibration.

There's my .02 I hope it will help more people get the same level of satisfaction out of their Raptor that I have with mine. I can't detect spin noise at all and write noise only on occasion with this setup.

I've used 7 Raptor 74GB (And 4 in a RAID 0) and I wasn't able to hear any of them (even when I put my ear next to it while I write a file). Maybe it's me, but I am concentrating on my computer work rather than my hard drives and I don't hear them...than again...I play my Musik really loud so I can't hear anything...even my TV that is way too loud as well, hehe.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 2, 2006 9:04:13 PM

The 36GB Raptors are first generation ones, and are a bit louder than the 74 and 150GB models, and also a bit slower...
April 2, 2006 9:07:52 PM

I don't consider my 'Raptors' to be noisy, but I read this anyway :p 

Before I bought mine, I used to run 3 SCSI's, so all I notice is the noise reduction.

However, your suggestions are a great idea. I bought a noise reduction kit some time ago, consisting of lots of silicon washers and fan/psu mounts. The main idea was to reduce/eliminate vibration from the fans and psu. However, I hadn't considered using these washers when mounting my hdd's also.

I will give it a try and see if my very quiet 'Raptors' become any more quiet :D 
April 2, 2006 9:31:14 PM

Are the 36 GB ones so much slower and noisier?
Dunno because i never "heard" another , better raptor in action.
I dont need to look at the led for HD activity , I hear it, while my second 160 GB one is so quit I can barely hear it , must be the 7200 -10000 RPM difference.
Anyway , as performance drives theres nothing to beat them.
Its just like a sports car , you sacrifice some luxury and comfor for extreme performance.
To MadMod : Do you put your music so loud too? :lol: 
Then i'm not the only one, yet my wife and neighbours dont like it very much.
My trusty Megaworks THX 550 might be getting old yet it can still shake .....what a bass! had to replace the speakers though as they arent up to par with the woofer
April 2, 2006 11:46:09 PM

Quote:

I've used 7 Raptor 74GB (And 4 in a RAID 0) and I wasn't able to hear any of them (even when I put my ear next to it while I write a file). Maybe it's me, but I am concentrating on my computer work rather than my hard drives and I don't hear them...than again...I play my Musik really loud so I can't hear anything...even my TV that is way too loud as well, hehe.

Obviously *cough*Vantec Tornado*cough*

They're in Servers....and no, my Vantec Tornado's were not inside them. Unless the deafining sound of the AMD Opteron 64 Socket 940 Stock HSF was clouding my ears, I don't think they made noise.

June 1, 2011 9:31:36 AM

Hi All

I know this thread is a bit old but my experience is relevant. I cannot explain it but perhaps someone else can.

I installed a new 600GB Raptor into my previously silent PC and the noise was bad. At first I thought a bearing had gone in a fan; I disconnected the drive and it was silent again which pointed to the drive.

Also the PC was hanging every so often. So I reconnected the drive and also moved the drive from a SATA III connection to a SATA II port. And my PC is totally silent - other then the clicks when the disk heads move. Magic.

I am not sure what the problem was but I am happy. And the PC stopped freezing.

JS

!