Sign in with
Your question

Should a 7800gs sc run oblivion on max?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2006 7:58:57 PM

I just got this card and it runs BF2, HL2, and CoD2 full out, but it has problems in Oblivion. I've updated to the 84.20 nvidia drivers and updated my mobo drivers, but the game still glitches when I turn. I turned down the graphics to 800x600/medium, but the same thing happened. So I'm pretty sure it is the software. What should I try to tweak my system or ini files to get rid of this annoying glitch?

System Specs
3.0 GHz P4 HT
7800gs sc
2 gigs ocz platinum
Chaintech SPT800 mobo
74 gig hd
Windows XP

Thanks for any advice in advance
April 2, 2006 8:43:16 PM

He said it runs CoD 2 full out, so 800x600 and medium settings shouldn't make Oblivion lag at all whatsoever. 74 GB on that hard drive isn't too much, and it would get filled up really quickly. Maybe buying an extra hard drive would help? A filled hard drive does stuff more slowly than an empty one. Also, there might be something with the audio. Having a sound card over onboard audio can not only increase your audio quality but also increase your fps by relieving the cpu of that load. I remember that when I got KotOR for the PC there were some audio bugs, so it would make it lag at times and even crash. However, they released a patch and it ran perfectly after that. This may be your problem, though I haven't heard of any technical bugs with Obivion.
April 2, 2006 8:53:59 PM

My hard drive still has 52% free space. It runs at 7,200rpm, so I don't think it is the problem. I have the soundblaster live 24bit pci card, and my onboard video is off. I'll mess with the settings on the sound caed and see if there is a difference.
Related resources
April 2, 2006 9:30:00 PM

I run oblivion at 1152x864 high quality settings on my 6800gs and I don't have the same bug as you so it must be drivers or maybe drivers settings ? Or maybe your video card is sharing an IRQ with another device on your rig.
April 2, 2006 10:13:02 PM

Quote:
I just got this card and it runs BF2, HL2, and CoD2 full out, but it has problems in Oblivion. I've updated to the 84.20 nvidia drivers and updated my mobo drivers, but the game still glitches when I turn. I turned down the graphics to 800x600/medium, but the same thing happened. So I'm pretty sure it is the software. What should I try to tweak my system or ini files to get rid of this annoying glitch?

System Specs
3.0 GHz P4 HT
7800gs sc
2 gigs ocz platinum
Chaintech SPT800 mobo
74 gig hd
Windows XP

Well, i have a 7800 gtx overclocked, overclocked gives you one or 2 more frames, not much ,but fun to do. You will most def.' be able to run it on full like i do, but you get loss of frames. Big outside environments, will get you 15-30 frames depending on what yourlooking at. i work at best buy, and i actually yelled at an nvidia rep that walks around and sells their cards, he asked me if i had any gripes with them, i told him, yah, stop making 500 dollar "next generation" graphics cards if you get only 15 frames a second on newer games. even with the 7900 and 1900xtx, is not much better at all. the fact of the matter is, from what hte nvidia rep told me, its marketing, just like best buy, when they make new cards they are the slightest of an upgrade, he gave me advice, when buying a new graphics cards, atleast wait 2 more series before you do, so im skipping the 7900's, and waiting the the 80's. If you dont get about loss of frames however, the game will run fine on max settings.
April 3, 2006 2:18:42 AM

Quote:
7800GS is best right now for AGP, so you can't really upgrade. I would try to look for viruses and spyware. They could be using up some valuable resources. Also, eliminate all background tasks. It should improve performance.

Defrag your hard drive. Consider formatting it and reinstalling Windows.

Did you build this computer or is it a Dell, HP, etc.? Because Dell and all other makers load the hard drive with bloatware which slows down the HD and also gives you nasty background tasks which suck up your resources.
April 3, 2006 3:02:41 AM

Interesting. It seems that nobody's on the forums at 11:00 PM Eastern Time.
April 3, 2006 4:02:47 AM

I built it, but it originally had a 6600gt. I thought I had purged all the old drivers, but they might be a problem. Do you think it would be worth reformatting?

Another thing, in my device manager it shows my cpu twice; I'm not sure if this is a common thing with a Hyperthreading processor or not. I also installed coolbits 2.0 and it shows a max apg rating of 2x on my OS. It shows 8x on everything else, and my motherboard is 8x. It might be windows limiting it as if it was a 2x port bottlenecking performance. How can I check this and fix it if it is a problem?
April 3, 2006 4:31:34 AM

I am running Oblivion at 1024x768 on full without issues. Side note, I just built this PC like last week (my first build, not without it's headaches lol I had a bad video card), and I too am seeing my CPU twice...

Asus P5N32SLI-Deluxe
P4HT 3.2GHz
2GB Corsair DDR2
Geforce 7600GT OC
WD 80GB 7200RPM HD
Rosewill RP500 PSU
April 5, 2006 7:41:19 PM

I reinstalled windows and still no luck. lol, what a waste of time.
April 5, 2006 9:16:34 PM

I had the same problem too

My system is
Athloon 64 3200+
1Gb ram
Shuttle SN95v3
eVGA 7800GS OC

fairly mid-range...

and i was able to achieve visual that almose rivals the screenshot that's on the box and the official sites, maintaining frame rate at around 30-40 outdoor with occasional dip into the 20s and 40+ frams in the dungeon no problem (4x AF with LOD and Normal Map Patch). and the turning problem usually only occurs while switching to a new area and a few spin of mouse will usually solve the problem.

Check out this link
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=299166&st=0

one of the screenshot he made for comparison http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oblivion5e8sp.jpg

download those ini files to your "My Document/My Games/Oblivion/" folder and replace the oblivion.ini as you see fit. Not only will it improve your frame rate.. it will make your game look a lot nicer as well..

** Important: Read the instruction before you change the ini file. Inside your ini, there's 4 lines of variable. Specifically
uVideoDeviceIdentifierPart1=
uVideoDeviceIdentifierPart2=
uVideoDeviceIdentifierPart3=
uVideoDeviceIdentifierPart4=
right under [Display] (line 92)
Copy from your original oblivion.ini to the new one. It will prevent the game from redecting you card and change the variables. Also.. Do NOT set the readonly bite on the ini file. It's proven to cause crashes.

after you downloaded the ini above there's a couple of variable you will still need to tweek a couple of variable inside. depending on the amount of ram you have in your system, you can decrease amount of lag quite a bit by increasing the iPreloadSize which is defaulted to 256mb. You will see quite a performance boost by pumping up that variable to 512mb+ (mine's set to 805306368) or even 1GB if you have more then 1gb of ram. Also one more variable to watch for is "bUse Joystick=1" change the value to 0 if you are crashing often.

You might also want to enable your bDSoundHWAcceleration to 1 if you have the soundcard to support it but that that had proven to be buggy for a couple of people.

on the same forum there's also a thread with mods that will definently help with your visual.. specifically, the LOD patches which increase the detail how the farside landscapes are rendered with close to none performance hit

Here
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=324335
are quite a few helpful mods that will make your game much more enjoyable.

I did not bookmark the post for the normal map patch.. but you should be able to locate it in the forum as well. Asking around will also help as the forum is filled with activity (some people's post got pushed all the way to page 10 in matter of hours).

It tooke me quite a few days of looking around the forum to get the game running great and the effort was worth it. I'd almost say you cannot play this game without the helpful forum that constantly offers great mods and comments.

Enjoy and "Go Hurt Something"

---------------------------------------------
edit: some variable names and some note on replacing the ini file.
April 6, 2006 3:16:34 AM

Quote:
I am running Oblivion at 1024x768 on full without issues. Side note, I just built this PC like last week (my first build, not without it's headaches lol I had a bad video card), and I too am seeing my CPU twice...

Asus P5N32SLI-Deluxe
P4HT 3.2GHz
2GB Corsair DDR2
Geforce 7600GT OC
WD 80GB 7200RPM HD
Rosewill RP500 PSU

it will show the processor twice on a HT enabled P4. This is because it splits the CPU into two logical cores, and Windows has to recognize it as a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. You will also see that in the Device Manager. :) 
a b Î Nvidia
April 6, 2006 6:50:36 AM

Quote:
I've updated to the 84.20 nvidia drivers and updated my mobo drivers, but the game still glitches when I turn.

Just FYI the Oblivion nV drivers are 84.25.
April 6, 2006 8:44:27 PM

My personal opinion is that Oblivion seems to like ati's shader model more than Nvidia, although I have never played Oblivion I think My system can run it on MAX settings, then again I could B wrong :D 
1gb Kingston Hyper X
2x 150gb WD RaptorX
April 7, 2006 1:45:46 AM

ive seen two posts by this ati guy, go to ati forums and quit trying to convert by saying you "think" ati is better. thanks
April 7, 2006 3:17:12 PM

too many people recommend reinstalling windows xp when an unidentifiable problem occurs. i used to do this alot until i learned that windows is very rarely the culprit. what a waste of time to re-install. it's nuts.

windows xp is very robust in correcting corrupt files to it's own operating system. i am a hardcore gamer and even then I will do a fresh install once a year because of all the funky crap i install and try out.

i run battlefield 2 fine on 2 gigs ram, 6800gs agp, p4 3.1 o/c.

no jerkiness except when it's the fault of the server. i am definitely getting oblivian. but i expect a game patch out for this game as there always is. maybe that will fix your problem. i hope i don't have your problem to. i only have a 6800gs

i love you all like my brothers in arms
April 8, 2006 7:19:21 AM

Completely uninstall your video card through add/remove hardware wizard and then reinstall your video card with the latest drivers. If that does not work then start with every video setting in the game at the lowest value and individually increase each one and test the settings. If you're running the other games fine, I don't see what much else could be the problem. It's the game or the hardware. The first one pretty much takes care of hardware since your other games run, and the next one takes care of software.
April 8, 2006 6:43:14 PM

Quote:
I've updated to the 84.20 nvidia drivers and updated my mobo drivers, but the game still glitches when I turn.

Thanks, I didn't realize there were other drivers made just for the game. I'll check em out
April 8, 2006 6:50:34 PM

I'll try that, and if I can't fix it then I'll wait for some new game updates. Thanks for the help
April 10, 2006 12:45:51 AM

I reinstalled the game and the problem was fixed; I think I left the install wizard before it was completed on my previous install, but I left the black screen up for a couple of minutes before it finished. The game is beautiful.....thanks for all the help!
a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2006 8:34:21 AM

Quote:

FYI the new nvidia drivers are 84.21..... If you're going to waste your time at least be correct....

<EDIT 1 - Remove Text>

Perhaps you should do some research first, like use GOOGLE search for 84.25 drivers...

<Edit 2 - make ending happier>

April 10, 2006 8:54:06 PM

Sorry, I thought you were correcting me; thanks for the advice on the drivers. I downloaded them and they seem to run HDR a lot better than the old ones. Sorry and thanks man :lol: 
a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2006 9:22:35 PM

No problemo, that was my intention to help, not hinder.

As such edit of above post on the way, apology accepted.

Just wish I had magic drivers for my Audigy PCMCIA card, had to take it out.

COOLIO Mang, enjoy, great game!
!